• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No one mentioned the huge Jim Davis Garfield strip auction at Heritage?
2 2

130 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Will_K said:

And @tth2 would also take that $1,000 !!

Garfield annoyed me.

My mom always thought I loved the strip.  She would save the papers so I could read them when I came home from college.  She had a friend that bought all the books and she would borrow them so I could read them.  I never had the heart to tell her I didnt like the strip so I acted like I read all the stuff.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:33 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

More background on the Garfield strip sale. FYI:

“‘The last strip I did on paper was in 2011,’ Davis, 73, said in a phone interview last week.” 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/08/arts/garfield-art-auction.html

So, pure Jim Davis = 1st year of the strip! 

Most of us only knew the anonymous assistant / refined licensed version and it's not like there are many Jim Davis (as an artist) fans to begin with.  Anyone that is heavily invested in them will make a distinction and make a big deal of it.         

6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

My mom always thought I loved the strip.  She would save the papers so I could read them when I came home from college.  She had a friend that bought all the books and she would borrow them so I could read them.  I never had the heart to tell her I didnt like the strip so I acted like I read all the stuff.

I am envisioning this story as if you actually are Batman, and it is still heart-breaking. 

3 minutes ago, glendgold said:

I am envisioning this story as if you actually are Batman, and it is still heart-breaking. 

She also still to this day, 30+ years after graduating from college, thinks I like turkey pastrami on onion rolls.  Every time I came home from college she would buy turkey pastrami and onion rolls and have them waiting for me.  I always ate them but never cared for it.  I still have no idea how she thought I liked it but it always made her happy to think she was doing something special for me and it wasn't that big of a deal to accommodate her. 

31 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

She also still to this day, 30+ years after graduating from college, thinks I like turkey pastrami on onion rolls.  Every time I came home from college she would buy turkey pastrami and onion rolls and have them waiting for me.  I always ate them but never cared for it.  I still have no idea how she thought I liked it but it always made her happy to think she was doing something special for me and it wasn't that big of a deal to accommodate her. 

You're a good lad.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

One day she'll move that fern and find 30+ years of Garfield strips and turkey pastrami onion rolls.  "G-Nutz, dear, I reverse mortgaged the house and bought you 10,000 Garfield strips since you're such a fan!"

index.jpg

20 hours ago, batman_fan said:

lol

10 hours ago, Squeezy McSphincter said:

One day she'll move that fern and find 30+ years of Garfield strips and turkey pastrami onion rolls.  "G-Nutz, dear, I reverse mortgaged the house and bought you 10,000 Garfield strips since you're such a fan!"

lol

On 9/4/2019 at 7:22 AM, Transplant said:

No.  I thought I remembered hearing that he had other artists ghost for him anyway?  What confidence would people have that he actually drew those strips?

Doesn’t say much for the workmanship if people can’t figure out who drew it. 

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

Count me in the nostalgic but not a fan camp.  I'd take one for free, I guess...

This is one property that ain't making a comeback, folks.  But the MCU comment was funny : >

I disagree.  While many are eyeroll worthy, there are some legit high quality funny ones, and I feel a great nostalgic pull from them especially as I see my young kids reading my old Garfield books now and asking for newer non beat up copies and t-shirts etc.

I'm gonna go against the crowd and say that these could possibly be a better investment at current prices than something like Peanuts original art right now.  I dunno how much more Garfield OA there is than there is peanuts OA, but peanuts OA doesn't seem to be in short supply.  What is it like 10,000 Garfields vs 2500 or so peanuts?  Am I way off here?  Price comparison seems to be about 500-3000 for Garfield strips most towards the lower end, with peanuts OA going for 20-75k now?

I'd also conjecture that your average Peanuts collector may be 20-30 years older than anyone who grew up on Garfield and sees these for sale now, so Peanuts may not have as much relative future growth in it.

Guess it all depends how old you are.  I only got one so far, but would like to add one or two more, and if I had the money I'd be scooping up the lower price ones and those bulk prelim lots.

1 hour ago, szav said:

I disagree.  While many are eyeroll worthy, there are some legit high quality funny ones, and I feel a great nostalgic pull from them especially as I see my young kids reading my old Garfield books now and asking for newer non beat up copies and t-shirts etc.

I'm gonna go against the crowd and say that these could possibly be a better investment at current prices than something like Peanuts original art right now.  I dunno how much more Garfield OA there is than there is peanuts OA, but peanuts OA doesn't seem to be in short supply.  What is it like 10,000 Garfields vs 2500 or so peanuts?  Am I way off here?  Price comparison seems to be about 500-3000 for Garfield strips most towards the lower end, with peanuts OA going for 20-75k now?

I'd also conjecture that your average Peanuts collector may be 20-30 years older than anyone who grew up on Garfield and sees these for sale now, so Peanuts may not have as much relative future growth in it.

Guess it all depends how old you are.  I only got one so far, but would like to add one or two more, and if I had the money I'd be scooping up the lower price ones and those bulk prelim lots.

Charles Schulz did 15,391 daily strips, and 2,506 Sundays, the Museum has just under 1/2 of the total produced so about 9700 in the wild.  The Museum has tracked about 2700 piece in private collections leaving about 7000 with where abouts unknown.  Prices have about doubled over the last ~5 years.  Will they go higher?  No idea but even with the constant stream coming to market, prices still seem very strong.  I have a pretty large database off auctions and it is surprising how few pieces come up for sell more than once.  You definitely see some but not a lot.  You have to remember, Apple just acquired the rights to the Peanuts characters and have started producing new content.  Apple definitely did not pay for the right in the hopes to use it as a write-off.

2 hours ago, szav said:

To each his own.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with collecting out of nostalgia -- guilty as charged, and I salute you for that.  But there are plenty of properties that won't stand the test of time without (a) strong revivals, and moreover (b) powerful backers pushing the strong revivals.

Supply becomes meaningless sans future demand.

FWIW, I continue to see Peanuts merchandise everywhere, from airports to shops in Seoul. Apple's acquisition indeed means many good things.  Last I've heard about Garfield was the 2004 live action movie... uh oh.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Charles Schulz did 15,391 daily strips, and 2,506 Sundays, the Museum has just under 1/2 of the total produced so about 9700 in the wild.  The Museum has tracked about 2700 piece in private collections leaving about 7000 with where abouts unknown.  Prices have about doubled over the last ~5 years.  Will they go higher?  No idea but even with the constant stream coming to market, prices still seem very strong.  I have a pretty large database off auctions and it is surprising how few pieces come up for sell more than once.  You definitely see some but not a lot.  You have to remember, Apple just acquired the rights to the Peanuts characters and have started producing new content.  Apple definitely did not pay for the right in the hopes to use it as a write-off.

I expected I might hear from the peanuts gallery after my post (that's grade A Garfield level humor there...).  Who knows where both will go, and Peanuts is certainly king, but I see better growth potential for Garfield at current prices, we'll see.  I can't say I've seen what Apple has to offer in terms of new Peanuts related content (or that I've ever actually watched Apple TV, Netflix and Amazon prime are more than enough TV for me), but wasn't there kind of an uproar over them pulling the Great Pumpkin off public TV?  

51 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

To each his own.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with collecting out of nostalgia -- guilty as charged, and I salute you for that.  But there are plenty of properties that won't stand the test of time without (a) strong revivals, and moreover (b) powerful backers pushing the strong revivals.

Supply becomes meaningless sans future demand.

FWIW, I continue to see Peanuts merchandise everywhere, from airports to shops in Seoul. Apple's acquisition indeed means many good things.  Last I've heard about Garfield was the 2004 live action movie... uh oh.

Indeed, all I can say is my in the last 5 years my household has had 1 Garfield related birthday party and zero Peanuts related parties.  Works for me anyway, I prefer when the one that I like better and has personal meaning to me is 3-4% the price of the one that I have no connection with.

8 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Count me in the nostalgic but not a fan camp.  I'd take one for free, I guess...

This is one property that ain't making a comeback, folks.  But the MCU comment was funny : >

In terms of price and nostalgia, Pogo was big in its day. Now, the stuff is cheap—and the art is better than either Garfield or Peanuts (sorry, P’Nutz, that’s my opinion), its content is where it falls down.