No one mentioned the huge Jim Davis Garfield strip auction at Heritage?
1 1

50 posts in this topic

2,127 posts

More background on the Garfield strip sale. FYI:

“‘The last strip I did on paper was in 2011,’ Davis, 73, said in a phone interview last week.” Also, too: A945EFF5-F3C7-4B54-B6CB-BD5F5E882471.thumb.jpeg.cb59247af277a3482effd24642edb2fd.jpeg

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/08/arts/garfield-art-auction.html

So, pure Jim Davis = 1st year of the strip! 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,011 posts

Re: Was the strip ever funny
I always liked this one.
image.thumb.png.59f9fc707f3eb0112c1261f4118b47cd.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,127 posts
18 minutes ago, aokartman said:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F1%2F1%2F4%2F1%2F21141367%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5DThese 300 prelims went for $6000.  David

Probably a fantastic deal at $20 a pop. Those may be some of the few authentic Jim Davis drawings in the whole lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,839 posts
11 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

I want one example at least, but it is all about the nostalgia for me. I grew up on those trade paperback collections. They got me through many a sick day.

 

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

The earlier the less ghosted I believe .  I grew up with them; I’ll certainly buy one one day

I have fond nostalgic memories of Garfield as well.  Plus, my wife is a fan. Davis has obviously been selling tons of strips through Heritage even before this announcement; I've somehow not managed to win one yet, as there's always a bunch of them in every auction and I've never felt the need to chase any particular example.  I'm sure that I will pick up a nice example from the early-to-mid '80s at some point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,839 posts
11 minutes ago, glendgold said:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

If only the strip had been called "Arbuckle" and he ran a year of these depressing strips and then quit.  The art would be priceless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,949 posts
19 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

 

I have fond nostalgic memories of Garfield as well.  Plus, my wife is a fan. Davis has obviously been selling tons of strips through Heritage even before this announcement; I've somehow not managed to win one yet, as there's always a bunch of them in every auction and I've never felt the need to chase any particular example.  I'm sure that I will pick up a nice example from the early-to-mid '80s at some point. 

ditto.   There's been tons already.   Surprisingly the price has been going up not down per my last review but all this supply should change that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,949 posts

that's a nice one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,078 posts
11 hours ago, tth2 said:

I hate Garfield so much that someone would have to pay me $1000 to take a strip.

So how do you really feel :baiting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,078 posts

Lots of good info in this thread.  I didn’t know he had someone else doing the artwork for him.  10,000 pieces is a huge number to come to market at one time.  A picky collector can wait for quite a while for the right strip to come up.  I was never a huge fan of the strip although unlike Tim, if you gave me one I would take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,580 posts
3 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

10,000 pieces is a huge number to come to market at one time.  A picky collector can wait for quite a while for the right strip to come up.

Also means there will never, ever be a flip on any of it on secondary unless they start bulking them up in lots of 20 or 50 at HA, and those start going really cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,171 posts

I remember a point where Garfield was briefly huge. I believe that time was before Calvin & Hobbes.

:)

I was never into Garfield, though I remember the couple that lived next door to my parents were really big fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,753 posts

From 6-13-1979. I think during first 12 months of the run?

 

5A29E733-D5D7-40AF-A3F5-8A0127596A32.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
60,816 posts
10 hours ago, batman_fan said:

unlike Tim, if you gave me one I would take it

Okay, so I was engaging in rhetorical hyperbole.  If someone gave me one, I would take it too.

 

 

In order to immediately sell it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,078 posts
6 hours ago, tth2 said:

Okay, so I was engaging in rhetorical hyperbole.  If someone gave me one, I would take it too.

 

 

In order to immediately sell it! 

But promptly sell? I probably would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
642 posts
5 hours ago, batman_fan said:
11 hours ago, tth2 said:

Okay, so I was engaging in rhetorical hyperbole.  If someone gave me one, I would take it too.

 

 

In order to immediately sell it! 

But promptly sell? I probably would. 

And @tth2 would also take that $1,000 !!

Garfield annoyed me.

Edited by Will_K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1