No one mentioned the huge Jim Davis Garfield strip auction at Heritage?
1 1

50 posts in this topic

14,082 posts
1 hour ago, Will_K said:

And @tth2 would also take that $1,000 !!

Garfield annoyed me.

My mom always thought I loved the strip.  She would save the papers so I could read them when I came home from college.  She had a friend that bought all the books and she would borrow them so I could read them.  I never had the heart to tell her I didnt like the strip so I acted like I read all the stuff.

90 posts
On 9/4/2019 at 7:33 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

More background on the Garfield strip sale. FYI:

“‘The last strip I did on paper was in 2011,’ Davis, 73, said in a phone interview last week.” 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/08/arts/garfield-art-auction.html

So, pure Jim Davis = 1st year of the strip! 

Most of us only knew the anonymous assistant / refined licensed version and it's not like there are many Jim Davis (as an artist) fans to begin with.  Anyone that is heavily invested in them will make a distinction and make a big deal of it.         

25,953 posts

Yeah honestly art wise the assistant strips are an improvement 

Edited by Bronty

3,529 posts

I loved Garfield as a kid.  I will definitely get a strip.  If they drop to the $150-250 range, I will grab a bunch

1,188 posts
6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

My mom always thought I loved the strip.  She would save the papers so I could read them when I came home from college.  She had a friend that bought all the books and she would borrow them so I could read them.  I never had the heart to tell her I didnt like the strip so I acted like I read all the stuff.

I am envisioning this story as if you actually are Batman, and it is still heart-breaking. 

14,082 posts
3 minutes ago, glendgold said:

I am envisioning this story as if you actually are Batman, and it is still heart-breaking. 

She also still to this day, 30+ years after graduating from college, thinks I like turkey pastrami on onion rolls.  Every time I came home from college she would buy turkey pastrami and onion rolls and have them waiting for me.  I always ate them but never cared for it.  I still have no idea how she thought I liked it but it always made her happy to think she was doing something special for me and it wasn't that big of a deal to accommodate her. 

48 posts
31 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

She also still to this day, 30+ years after graduating from college, thinks I like turkey pastrami on onion rolls.  Every time I came home from college she would buy turkey pastrami and onion rolls and have them waiting for me.  I always ate them but never cared for it.  I still have no idea how she thought I liked it but it always made her happy to think she was doing something special for me and it wasn't that big of a deal to accommodate her. 

You're a good lad.

129 posts
1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

One day she'll move that fern and find 30+ years of Garfield strips and turkey pastrami onion rolls.  "G-Nutz, dear, I reverse mortgaged the house and bought you 10,000 Garfield strips since you're such a fan!"

index.jpg

60,844 posts
20 hours ago, batman_fan said:

lol

60,844 posts
10 hours ago, Squeezy McSphincter said:

One day she'll move that fern and find 30+ years of Garfield strips and turkey pastrami onion rolls.  "G-Nutz, dear, I reverse mortgaged the house and bought you 10,000 Garfield strips since you're such a fan!"

lol