No one mentioned the huge Jim Davis Garfield strip auction at Heritage?
1 1

50 posts in this topic

14,082 posts
1 hour ago, Will_K said:

And @tth2 would also take that $1,000 !!

Garfield annoyed me.

My mom always thought I loved the strip.  She would save the papers so I could read them when I came home from college.  She had a friend that bought all the books and she would borrow them so I could read them.  I never had the heart to tell her I didnt like the strip so I acted like I read all the stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
90 posts
On 9/4/2019 at 7:33 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

More background on the Garfield strip sale. FYI:

“‘The last strip I did on paper was in 2011,’ Davis, 73, said in a phone interview last week.” 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/08/arts/garfield-art-auction.html

So, pure Jim Davis = 1st year of the strip! 

Most of us only knew the anonymous assistant / refined licensed version and it's not like there are many Jim Davis (as an artist) fans to begin with.  Anyone that is heavily invested in them will make a distinction and make a big deal of it.         

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,953 posts

Yeah honestly art wise the assistant strips are an improvement 

Edited by Bronty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,529 posts

I loved Garfield as a kid.  I will definitely get a strip.  If they drop to the $150-250 range, I will grab a bunch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,188 posts
6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

My mom always thought I loved the strip.  She would save the papers so I could read them when I came home from college.  She had a friend that bought all the books and she would borrow them so I could read them.  I never had the heart to tell her I didnt like the strip so I acted like I read all the stuff.

I am envisioning this story as if you actually are Batman, and it is still heart-breaking. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,082 posts
3 minutes ago, glendgold said:

I am envisioning this story as if you actually are Batman, and it is still heart-breaking. 

 

She also still to this day, 30+ years after graduating from college, thinks I like turkey pastrami on onion rolls.  Every time I came home from college she would buy turkey pastrami and onion rolls and have them waiting for me.  I always ate them but never cared for it.  I still have no idea how she thought I liked it but it always made her happy to think she was doing something special for me and it wasn't that big of a deal to accommodate her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 posts
31 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

She also still to this day, 30+ years after graduating from college, thinks I like turkey pastrami on onion rolls.  Every time I came home from college she would buy turkey pastrami and onion rolls and have them waiting for me.  I always ate them but never cared for it.  I still have no idea how she thought I liked it but it always made her happy to think she was doing something special for me and it wasn't that big of a deal to accommodate her. 

You're a good lad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
129 posts
1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

She also still to this day, 30+ years after graduating from college, thinks I like turkey pastrami on onion rolls.  Every time I came home from college she would buy turkey pastrami and onion rolls and have them waiting for me.  I always ate them but never cared for it.  I still have no idea how she thought I liked it but it always made her happy to think she was doing something special for me and it wasn't that big of a deal to accommodate her. 

One day she'll move that fern and find 30+ years of Garfield strips and turkey pastrami onion rolls.  "G-Nutz, dear, I reverse mortgaged the house and bought you 10,000 Garfield strips since you're such a fan!"

 

index.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
60,844 posts
20 hours ago, batman_fan said:

My mom always thought I loved the strip.  She would save the papers so I could read them when I came home from college.  She had a friend that bought all the books and she would borrow them so I could read them.  I never had the heart to tell her I didnt like the strip so I acted like I read all the stuff.

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
60,844 posts
10 hours ago, Squeezy McSphincter said:

One day she'll move that fern and find 30+ years of Garfield strips and turkey pastrami onion rolls.  "G-Nutz, dear, I reverse mortgaged the house and bought you 10,000 Garfield strips since you're such a fan!"

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1