• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA 9.4 to 9.6 to 9.8... Observing a trend
3 3

137 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, N e r V said:

Before anyone else piles on CGC too much they need to understand that grading standards in comics has been to some degree in flux for decades now with changes occurring over the years in how the general collector feels what’s most important or less important with the defects involved in any book. Stains for example have varied over the years in terms of how much of a grade hit they should take. Paper quality these days has become more important as the years go on probably because people relate it to how much longer the item has aged or getting closer to a possible end of life period for a book. Restoration views have changed a lot up and down depending on the year or books involved. The whole grading scale wasn’t on a 10 point scale originally but also we had a 100 point at one time and a no point scale in the beginning of collecting with grading getting more technical as the years went on.

So yeah, collectors should hope for a degree of stability with CGC’s standards but I think a little give is in order too since the market around them has changed since they started. 

We have no one to blame for changing grading standards except our selves. We have collectibility lowered our standards to line our pockets and The grading companies have happily followed on for the same reason. And to even have a grading company do it in their own building is a bit shameful in my opinion. The market has spoken and probably isn’t done talking as long as short term profit over takes all. 

20 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

My conclusion is that pro athletes are driving the back issue comic boom.

No, Gene has stated definitively that pro athletes, celebrities, Silicon Valley tycoons, Wall Street titans, etc. do not buy big ticket books or OA.

11 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Thanks for that one. I have seen it before and it is extreme. But the "explosion" of 9.6s becoming 9.8s....not sure if that is supported by any demonstrable data.

Yes, definitely extreme as it somehow found a way to reside in a blue Universal Unrestored slab as it went all the way from a CGC 4.0 through to a CGC 9.0 while making a layover at the CGC 7.5 rest area.  lol

While I certainly don't play in this particular deep end of the grading pool, I would tend to agree with you that there probably hasn't been an explosion of 9.6 graded GA books becoming 9.8's.  Now, if you are talking about BA books and up, now that's a completely different story most likely although I am definitely not the person to keep track of these things.  (shrug)

Although I am aware of one high profile GA book that did managed to make the jump from a CGC 9.6 grade up to a CGC 9.8 grade.  It was the Allentown copy of Cap 1 and probably the only reason why I remember it was because of the rather hilarious back story which West provided to us on how it was able to acheive its upgrade (click into the top grey area of the link for the appropriate post):

Oh no, it's that Veryzl guy :blahblah:  :blahblah:  :blahblah: again for the 100th time.  We better give it to him or else we'll fall even more months behind in our TAT times.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

59 minutes ago, tth2 said:

No, Gene has stated definitively that pro athletes, celebrities, Silicon Valley tycoons, Wall Street titans, etc. do not buy big ticket books or OA.

Gene who?

On 9/4/2019 at 11:06 AM, buttock said:
On 9/4/2019 at 10:46 AM, october said:

Have I missed this 9.8 explosion? How many books are we talking about here?

I tripped over a stack of them this morning.  They weren't there when I went to bed. 

They must be breeding. It's what happens when you put copies of Bugs Bunny and Atomic Rabbit in the same box...

Slabs can be opened. They were never meant for long term storage.  They were meant to facilitate transactions.

and

CGC didn't create a new market. They only introduced a much higher degree of assurance about condition, which persuaded buyers to spend more money to own what they wanted, which inspired demand. Slabs, by themselves, have no value.

15 hours ago, Qua-Brot said:

I agree with whoever said above that this demand is being driven by the popularity of the movies and will last at least 25 to 30 years - probably 50 to 60 in actuality (figure the kids of 10 today who are loving the movies will grow to become collectors in some manner - hit their prime nostalgia/money making period in their late 30s to 40s, and keep going for another 25 to 30 years). 

I think that comic book movies in their current form will likely reach a saturation point in another 10-20 years. However, once 4-D becomes the movie experience norm 20-25 years from, you can basically regurgitate the same old characters and concepts to the next generation of movie goers. Can you imagine sitting in a theater where all the super hero action is happening around you, while getting a kiss from the Black Widow and a kick to the jaw by Daredevil? I hope I'm still around for this experience when I can actually have a small part in the movie. :preach:

Edited by skybolt

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Slabs can be opened. They were never meant for long term storage.  They were meant to facilitate transactions.

and

CGC didn't create a new market. They only introduced a much higher degree of assurance about condition, which persuaded buyers to spend more money to own what they wanted, which inspired demand. Slabs, by themselves, have no value.

I'd have to disagree with that.  They may have not meant to develop another marketing tier, but they certainly did.  Just go to eBay and notice the difference in pricing -both asking and final sales- between raw and slabbed.  

4 minutes ago, skybolt said:

I think that comic book movies in their current form will likely reach a saturation point in another 10-20 years. However, once 4-D becomes the movie experience norm 20-25 years from, you can basically regurgitate the same old characters and concepts to the next generation of movie goers. Can you imagine sitting in a theater where all the super hero action is happening around you, while getting a kiss from the Black Widow and a kick to the jaw by Daredevil? I hope I'm still around for this experience when I can actually have a small part in the movie. :preach:

The great thing about 4-D movies is that you can travel back in time to an old theater and watch a better film!

1 minute ago, fifties said:

I'd have to disagree with that.  They may have not meant to develop another marketing tier, but they certainly did.  Just go to eBay and notice the difference in pricing -both asking and final sales- between raw and slabbed.  

The difference in price has nothing to do with the slab. It has to do with the assurance that the slab represents. Take the book out of the slab, and it sells for "the same" as the other raw copies in the same condition...and the "difference" doesn't remain with the now empty slab. Empty slabs have no value.

CGC neither meant to, nor did, develop "another marketing tier." The value of every slab rests entirely with the book inside of it.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:
2 hours ago, tth2 said:

Gene who?

How dare you tempt the fates and possibly subject all of us to a long dissertation on the cons of comic book investing from our resident Wall Street financial whiz kid.  (tsk)  lol

33 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The difference in price has nothing to do with the slab. It has to do with the assurance that the slab represents. Take the book out of the slab, and it sells for "the same" as the other raw copies in the same condition...and the "difference" doesn't remain with the now empty slab. Empty slabs have no value.

CGC neither meant to, nor did, develop "another marketing tier." The value of every slab rests entirely with the book inside of it.

The difference in price has everything to do with the fact that the book is slabbed, and I would heartily disagree with the concept that slabbing hasn't added a higher tier to sale-ability, and that fact abounds.  

11 minutes ago, fifties said:

The difference in price has everything to do with the fact that the book is slabbed, and I would heartily disagree with the concept that slabbing hasn't added a higher tier to sale-ability, and that fact abounds.  

I agree with both you and RMA, and think you are talking past one another. There is a clear difference in the value between a certified and un-certified book.  I don't think RMA would dispute that.  Third party grading and encapsulation has indeed created new price tiers that exceed the value of un-slabbed books.  Which is why guys like RMA and many here slab so many books.

But, the reason why that is so depends upon a single factor:  The reputation of the third party grading service.  Slabbing can accomplish two things:  (1) It puts a grade on a book that is considered in the marketplace to be trustworthy and (2) it ensures that the book remains in that grade.

PGX certified books do not benefit from the certification because that company is widely considered untrustworthy in its grading.  That same fate could befall the books of any third party grader whose reputation erodes.  So the "assurance" represented by the slab is indeed what leads to the higher tier of prices for slabbed books (by some companies, but not all).

1 hour ago, fifties said:

The value of a slab rests entirely with the book. It is a mistake...quite a common one...to assume that the slab, itself, has any intrinsic value. It does not. If it did, it would have value apart from the book it contains. People pay higher prices for slabbed copies because of assurance...not because the slab adds anything of value to the book.

Thinking that the slab adds value is what causes people to panic when slabs are cracked, thinking the book has been "devalued." It has not. It's an illusion that slabs "add value" over raw books "in the same grade", because raw books are "unknown."

For example:

Book A CGC 9.0 sells for $1,000

Book A "raw VF/NM" sells for $678

Book A CGC 7.5 sells for $350

Book A raw, however, when it is graded, turns out to be a CGC 7.5....not the VF/NM it was advertised as raw. 

In that case...and this happens all day, every day...the raw "VF/NM" book that was actually a CGC 7.5 sold for substantially more than another already slabbed 7.5.  That $678 raw price was based on an "illusion" (not entirely, but functionally for the sake of this discussion...that "CGC 9.0" is an illusion, too, of a sort...but I digress) that the book was in about the "same condition" as a slabbed 9.0. 

Even then, there are many sellers...including @MrBedrock...can sell raw books for at or near what slabbed books "in the same grade" sell.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 hour ago, fifties said:

Not true. The price has everything to do with the book. If the price had everything to do with the slab the empty slabs would be trading by themselves.

The slab does help the liquidity of the book by quantifying the grade (which has always been paramount in determining value - even before CGC), but the book and its already existing grade actually determines the price.