• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOMB RAIDER 2 starring Alicia Vikander (5/19/21)
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Ben Wheatley has been set to direct MGM’s Tomb Raider sequel, with the studio setting a release date of March 19, 2021. Alicia Vikander is reprising her role as the lissome treasure hunting action heroine Lara Croft. Amy Jump is writing the sequel -script and Graham King is producing through his GK Films banner, and Elizabeth Cantillon.

Wheatley directed the films Kill List and Free Fire, and he is currently in post production on Rebecca for Working Title Films.

The first film grossed $275 million worldwide. The first film was directed by Roar Uthaug. Production on the sequel will begin early next year.

EXCLUSIVE: MGM has set Misha Green to write and make her feature directorial debut on the next Tomb Raider, which has Alicia Vikander set to reprise her role as Lara Croft. Green steps up here after creating and directing Lovecraft Country, the breakout HBO series that stars Jurnee Smollett, Jonathan Majors, and Michael Kenneth Williams.

Tomb Raider will be produced by Graham King via his GK Films banner, and Elizabeth Cantillon via The Cantillon Company.

Green is the showrunner and executive producer of Lovecraft Country, alongside Jordan Peele and J.J. Abrams and based on the novel by Matt Ruff. She separately wrote and is producing The Mother, which sold in a competitive situation to Netflix and is also producing Warner Brothers’ Cleopatra Jones and Makeready’s The Gilded Ones. Green previously co-created, executive produced and wrote the WGN series Underground, which broke ratings records during its first season and was the first scripted U.S. television show that focused on slavery and  the Underground Railroad. Underground was nominated for four NAACP Image Awards and a TCA Award for Outstanding New Program by the Television Critics Association.

The Tomb Raider sequel is finally making moves. We reported recently that the film was looking to cast for the role of Rourke, an international assassin. In the video game series, Commander Rourke, also known by the codename Paladin One, is the leader of Trinity’s military forces and second-in-command to Dr. Pedro Dominguez.

Lara looks to be headed to Central America as the film will follow her on a Mayan adventure. Which means the film could be borrowing some from Shadow of the Tomb Raider. We previously reported the movie was looking to incorporate more supernatural elements to the film but that was under the previous director. Not sure Misha will go the same route or not.

The logline for the movie states: Lara Croft embarks on a Mayan adventure which finds her marked for assassination by Trinity leader Ana Miller. 

This is great news for Tomb Raider fans as we have our first idea of where the movie will be set plus we have even more character descriptions. The filming locations are still showing as WARNER BROS. STUDIOS LEAVESDEN, ENGLAND, GBR / CAPE TOWN FILM STUDIOS, ZAF which could change. There is also no word yet on casting or when filming might take place but stay tuned to GVN as we get more details we will be sure to share them.

Tomb Raider: Obsidian stars Alicia Vikander and is directed by Misha Green.

Alicia Vikander admits she hasn’t got a clue what’s happening with Tomb Raider 2

2018’s Tomb Raider was a rebooted reintroduction to the character of Lara Croft, and while it was met with a mixed critical and commercial reception, ultimately grossing $274M worldwide, there was enough to like about it, not least the performance of Vikander, that MGM were quick to greenlight a sequel.

Then Ben Wheatley came-and went, with Lovecraft Country‘s director Misha Green taking hold of the controller, the global pandemic happened, Amazon acquired MGM in a takeover, and before you knew it Tomb Raider 2, or Tomb Raider: Obsidian as it was now known, which was originally scheduled for March 2021, was permanently stuck on the loading screen. 

Fast forward to 2022 and Vikander has been speaking to Entertainment Weekly about the status of the movie, and while she sounds excited about the prospect of playing Lara Croft again, she doesn’t seem to know if or when it will happen.

“With the MGM and Amazon buyout, I have no clue,” said Vikander. “Now it’s kind of politics. I think Misha and I have been ready, so it’s kind of in somebody else’s hands, to be honest.” 

The Oscar-winning actor said that while she couldn’t reveal any details about Tomb Raider: Obsidian, she has “been excited to show the world” what they’ve come up with for the sequel. 

The live-action future of Tomb Raider just got a lot more complicated. On Thursday, a report from The Wrap revealed that MGM has now lost the film rights to the video game franchise, after releasing one live-action Tomb Raider movie in 2018. According to their reporting, MGM did not officially greenlight a sequel to the film within the allotted window, which was up until May of this year. This has reportedly now started a bidding war with multiple other movie studios to bid on the property. A Tomb Raider sequel had been in development since 2019, with Alicia Vikander set to return as Lara Croft, and Lovecraft Country and Black Canary's Misha Green in talks to write and direct. Now, The Wrap's reporting indicates that Vikander will not be attached to any future installments. 

Studios bidding to acquire this franchise for themselves now

MGM has lost the film rights to “Tomb Raider,” based on the popular video game, sparking a bidding war for the IP, TheWrap has exclusively learned.

MGM had till May of this year to greenlight a “Tomb Raider” sequel, and the window passed. A host of Hollywood movie studios are in the mix and put in bids, according to multiple insiders with knowledge of the project.

Alicia Vikander, who starred as Lara Croft in 2018’s “Tomb Raider” is no longer attached to the project. Insiders add it’s a complete reboot and there are no casting or director commitments. Rights reverted to the game company, then the game company and Graham King’s GK Films made a deal to rep the IP.

In an interview with Variety, Vikander explains that she was profoundly upset after MGM failed to green light Tomb Raider 2 in time to retain the rights. A sequel was put into development, but it never moved past that stage. The rights are now firmly with Amazon. Check out her quote below:

“I mean, I thought we were very much [good to go]; we had a director and writer. But yeah, for me, that was another one of those childhood dreams — to portray an action character was awesome, and beyond what I ever thought I would do. And I think the physical part is something that I really enjoyed. So, yeah, if another opportunity like that came again, I’ll be interested.”