• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting slabs
1 1

43 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

giphy.gif

Think about it. We would all be nostalgic for those plastic slabs.  Remember that time your sister’s best friend sat on top of your  brand new Son of Satan number 1 and cracked the slab? What a gas! 

In today’s market, high-grade raw comics would command multiples of guide. A division would grow between purists looking for comic books still inside the hard plastic and those who would crack them out and after all these years actually read them.

Just now, DavidTheDavid said:

Think about it. We would all be nostalgic for those plastic slabs.  Remember that time your sister’s best friend sat on top of your  brand new Son of Satan number 1 and cracked the slab? What a gas! 

In today’s market, high-grade raw comics would command multiples of guide. A division would grow between purists looking for comic books still inside the hard plastic and those who would crack them out and after all these years actually read them.

There are people who collect decks of playing cards and never open them. I mean, I buy 2. 1 to open, and 1 to keep for a backup/resell. To never open a deck of playing cards, though...?

Crazy.

I like to collect slabs to an extent. I see the early slabs holding low value moderns as a snapshot of the market and hobby at the time.

I sought out a CGC 9.5 red label (Wizard First) because I think it exemplifies an interesting footnote in CGC’s history. I picked one holding a book I liked, Daredevil Father. Once again, it was cheap, so why not?

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There are people who collect decks of playing cards and never open them. I mean, I buy 2. 1 to open, and 1 to keep for a backup/resell. To never open a deck of playing cards, though...?

Crazy.

what kind of playing cards like the ones for Poker? or the ones for pokemon? 

21 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Pokemon is a trading card game.

Playing cards are Bicycle, Bee, Tally-Ho, etc.

Is it really though.. you do battle and play with the pokemon cards. So can't they technically be called playing cards because you play a game with them; sports cards there is no game really for them except for trading them. 

6 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

Is it really though.. you do battle and play with the pokemon cards. So can't they technically be called playing cards because you play a game with them; sports cards there is no game really for them except for trading them. 

Yes.

No. They have "card game" in the name, already. They exist for trading purposes, though. Some may also refer to it as a "collectible card game".

32 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You're*, and no, I'm not.

If/when I have sold a deck I have never taken a loss.

My apologies for grammar, I allow my editor to handle that.

You mean to tell me with a clear conscience that you sell a $2.95 deck of playing cards that you can purchase at any novelty store for a profit?

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

My apologies for grammar, I allow my editor to handle that.

You mean to tell me with a clear conscience that you sell a $2.95 deck of playing cards that you can purchase at any novelty store for a profit?

You're 100% ignorant of the hobby.

I have never sold a deck of playing cards below 200% "MSRP". I have sold decks for 4 figures. You cannot buy these playing cards at any "novelty store".

Playing cards are some of the most lucrative projects on Kickstarter.

Moving on...

I enjoy slabbed comics because it reveals a condition the comic has been preserved in.

I also enjoy raw comics for the storyline.

I also understand the rarity of finding comics in certain eras that are in near perfect condition. The nostalgia of these comics is where the true value lies.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You're 100% ignorant of the hobby.

I have never sold a deck of playing cards below 200% "MSRP". I have sold decks for 4 figures. You cannot buy these playing cards at any "novelty store".

Playing cards are some of the most lucrative projects on Kickstarter.

Kickstarter? I'll have to check that out. Who are the publishers? Companies that already have agreements with the big sports leagues?

1 minute ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Kickstarter? I'll have to check that out. Who are the publishers? Companies that already have agreements with the big sports leagues?

USPCC/EPCC/Cartamundi/etc are basically the DC/Marvel/Image/etc of playing cards.

Basically, a designer creates a deck, and has it printed by one of those manufacturers.