• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist quits Topps with public Facebook post over slow pay on $1.50 sketch cards
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Floydman Sumner is 57sWUhgwdMq.png?_nc_x=r5hByYqJv1Ifeeling emotional.

It is with heavy heart that I am announcing that I will no longer be producing sketch cards for Topps. The decision is a difficult one for me as I love drawing Garbage Pail Kids and especially Wacky Packages but after doing alot of soul searching I realize that I cannot continue to work for a company that treats it's artist with such disrespect and unprofessionalism. I'm in a position now that I don't have to draw for the insulting rate of only $1.50 per card and then wait and wait while Topps disregards it's own obligations when it comes to payment. This year I have worked on 4 different sets and as of today have not received a single check for any of them. E-mails to Topps go unanswered and yet new invites are still sent out.

Topps does not realize the talent the have at their disposal...or maybe they do and that is why they are taken advantage of. They also obviously do not realize that one reason why their sales are so good is because of collectors like you who buy massive amounts in search of the sketch cards we provide. It is the collector who I appreciate the most, the ones who get sketch cards and keep them because they actually appreciate what we do. The flippers however can go off as far as I am concerned, they are only out to make a buck and couldn't care less what is on the cards they ebay and get up to hundreds of dollars while we sit back and watch our art that we got paid pennies for get auctioned and we don't see a dime. It's a cruel business and it's time to spread my wings and do my own art instead of getting paid basically to copy someone else's. I will still be here on the GPK and Wacky Packages boards because I'm so anxious to see who ends up with my final sketches from the upcoming set. Best of luck to all artists and collectors, you guys and gals are the greatest bunch of fans I've had the pleasure of meeting.

Oh and I DO still have some blanks from the Scratch and Stink set but am currently not taking any new commissions...but will definitely let you guys know when they will be available to purchase.

If that wasn't bad enough another artist who shared his support reported that he still hasn't been paid for Mars Attacks and Star Wars Galaxies sketches he did in 2012!

Mike Wasion I did sketches for Mars Attacks Heritage and Star Wars Galaxy back in 2012, and I NEVER got paid! Good times...sad but not surprised that it's still going on, the people they have running THAT show...

3 hours ago, AndyFish said:

Wow, I wish I could say I was surprised about the non--payment-- but $1.50 per card??? Am I reading this right?   Someone agreed to work on a card for $1.50??

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

Right?!?

Hey, drawing is fun. Those artists should thank Tops for allowing them be included.

5 hours ago, buyatari said:

I'm in a position now that I don't have to draw for the insulting rate of only $1.50 per card and then wait and wait while Topps disregards it's own obligations when it comes to payment.

You mean you were only getting $1.50, total for something like this, and not even royalties?

Image result for Wacky Packages

Edited by Rick2you2

Just now, Rick2you2 said:

Does it at least pay royalties?

Doubtful. I think the subject here is 1/1 OA insert cards, inducements to break packs/boxes of product people otherwise wouldn't give a huh-huh about. I'm not a card guy, I don't keep up, so it's with some amazement to read this today, over twenty years since they first foisted this foolishness on the comic hobby. I can't believe people are still falling for it, the hobby version of buying scratchies and hoping to hit the big one. LOL. (None of this has anything to do with guys drawing the pictures, these are my comments on the companies and the consumers.)

12 hours ago, vodou said:

Doubtful. I think the subject here is 1/1 OA insert cards, inducements to break packs/boxes of product people otherwise wouldn't give a huh-huh about. I'm not a card guy, I don't keep up, so it's with some amazement to read this today, over twenty years since they first foisted this foolishness on the comic hobby. I can't believe people are still falling for it, the hobby version of buying scratchies and hoping to hit the big one. LOL. (None of this has anything to do with guys drawing the pictures, these are my comments on the companies and the consumers.)

He ought to see an intellectual property lawyer. He may be owed some money if his copyright was infringed.

On 9/4/2019 at 3:49 PM, AndyFish said:

Wow, I wish I could say I was surprised about the non--payment-- but $1.50 per card??? Am I reading this right?   Someone agreed to work on a card for $1.50??

Is there a generally accepted rate per card throughout the industry, or does it vary wildly and Topps is at the bottom? 

I used to collect Family Guy, Star Trek, and LotR and would always hope to get a sketch card.  Some of them would go for hundreds on the bay.