• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Smelly Slabs?

29 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Krishosein said:

I am wondering if the overkill on the sealing slabs in mylars and covering box in mylites and covering handle holes is creating a environment where the heat or temperatures are higher than the room and causing the books to not breath or the box and kind of acting like a oven where the trapped heat as I am assume the temp increases during the day and cools a bit in the night unless your running your AC non stop 24hrs 7 days a week. 

As I can see heated plastic giving off a smell more logical. 

I have central air, and it kicks on at a certain temp, so yes it runs most of the day in order to maintain the desired temp. The thermometer (which is nothing fancy) is right outside one of my boxes, and the boxes are all basically side by side. As mentioned above, some books smell a bit more than others. To make it clear, and I probably should've made this clear early on, I really have to stick my nose in the bag/on the mc paper to smell it; it is not as though the smell comes wafting out in a stinky cloud when I open the Mylite. Some of the books right next to these have no smell whatsoever, or very little. These were all purchased at different times, perhaps the different types of slabs have a different off-gas. As a side note, the slabs themselves do not seem to have any sort of smell, even the ones in which the mc paper smells... possibly the mc paper is sort of leeching the smell from the slab?

Just a quick follow up. I removed the micro chamber paper from most of the Mylites, although I kept the Mylites on the slabs. Everything else—temp, etc stayed the same. 

I rechecked the books and there’s no noticeable odor even on the books that smelled before. I’m guessing the mc paper was absorbing something from the plastic slab (not the comic within) although I guess the jury is still out whether leaving the paper in there is a good or bad thing?

Could newton rings be caused by the accidental encapsulation of the farts of the grading team then? 

I tell you, a whole lot of gas comes out of my ring under certain circumstances. 

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Could newton rings be caused by the accidental encapsulation of the farts of the grading team then? 

I tell you, a whole lot of gas comes out of my ring under certain circumstances. 

c923224602ada5325cf96e69cd7db2c73a308984