• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ditko / Romita - Amazing Spider-man Original art covers

17 posts in this topic

I would love to see some of the older OA Spider-man covers surface. I have seen only a few of them over the years. I know the # 11 and the # 28 were just exchanged a short while ago. The # 40 and the # 41 have surfaced recently. Heritage has the # 41 in their most recent auction it will be interesting to see what it goes for. Does anybody have an opinion as to which should be the more valuable....Romita Spider-man covers or Ditko?

While I am sure many claim to own plenty of things, I had an e-mail conversation awhile back with a guy claiming to possess the ASM #50 cover. According to him, it's not for sale, and he says he has turned down silly money.

Who knows if he actually has it or not.

While I am sure many claim to own plenty of things, I had an e-mail conversation awhile back with a guy claiming to possess the ASM #50 cover. According to him, it's not for sale, and he says he has turned down silly money.

Who knows if he actually has it or not.

If its Joe Latina you spoke with than you have the right person.

I have been trying to get that piece out of his hands for many, many years. I offered $150K to him about two years ago which than was CRAZY $ and his now only SILLY $. He turned the offer down. I believe it will take a cool Million to pry the piece from him. Cant say I blame him. It is a sharp, sharp, sharp piece. No doubt about it.

Yeah,...Latina has a treasure trove of art. The guy was ahead of the pack. Dont know much of what he has besides that ASM 50 Cover. Id love to look inside his vault. That #50 sure is a sweet piece. Maybe one day Ill get a stab at it.

Outside of a few of Romita's covers, I'd take Ditko's covers over his almost universally.

Yeah, I agree. I would take almost every Ditko Spidey cover over Romita except I wouldn't want the Ditko # 8 cover because its not very interesting, nor would I want the Ditko Spidey # 30 cover because its kinda blah !!!

Also, I would take the Romita Spidey # 39, 40 or 46 covers over almost any Ditko Spidey covers because they are so great.

Krazy,

I'm not a big fan of the #40 cover. It has been for sale a few times, and I remember many art collectors didn't like how Spidey was drawn on it (who are they to criticize, of course). Also, it wasn't inked by Romita. I agree on the 39, 46, 50, 69 and of course 75 smile.gif

The #40 could have been yours for between 40-50K just a year or two ago, if memory serves.

Krazy,

I'm not a big fan of the #40 cover. It has been for sale a few times, and I remember many art collectors didn't like how Spidey was drawn on it (who are they to criticize, of course). Also, it wasn't inked by Romita. I agree on the 39, 46, 50, 69 and of course 75 smile.gif

The #40 could have been yours for between 40-50K just a year or two ago, if memory serves.

I believe per 'The Scoop' article that the most recent sale on the item was about double the price you noted. And yes, Spidey is a little stout and muscular (unlike the lean, mean, agile machine of Ditko) but the piece is still a truly Classic image. Who inked it if not Romita ?

spidr%2040.JPG