CGC Restoration Removal on Bleed Through CT
0

19 posts in this topic

111 posts

Is there any way CGC's restoration removal service can remove C-1 "small amount of color touch" if it bleeds through the cover to the inside?  FYI the color touch is on the spine of the book.  I don't know the exact methods they use to remove CT, but I'm guessing if it bleeds through then that may be a roadblock.  Just wanted to see if a book like that could be a candidate for restoration removal.

Appreciate any insight ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
868 posts

One of my TTA 27's had C1 color touch, a midgrade book.

CCS removed it...

 

1761732562_TTA274_5A.thumb.jpg.30e1dad974c662973aff94f3ea3ae3db.jpg

 

...by cutting the color touch out of the center of the cover. Now, it still got a good grade... and it's better than a PLOD... but C1 color touch removal means harsh justice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
380 posts

Wow...I understand removing it for resale purposes but that is a fugly defect for a 4.5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,675 posts

"Small" is a relative term.

I've had CT removal on a few books and you'd be hard pressed to find where the work was done because the CT was so tiny.

I'm guessing that if it bleeds thru, it's not insignificant and the removal would worsen the eye-appeal dramatically, like the TTA. Which has to be the worst CT removal of all time. doh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,966 posts
31 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

...the removal would worsen the eye-appeal dramatically, like the TTA. Which has to be the worst CT removal of all time. doh!

I've seen books that looked like they took rapid-fire during a war.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
868 posts
40 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

"Small" is a relative term.

I've had CT removal on a few books and you'd be hard pressed to find where the work was done because the CT was so tiny.

I'm guessing that if it bleeds thru, it's not insignificant and the removal would worsen the eye-appeal dramatically, like the TTA. Which has to be the worst CT removal of all time. doh!

Not the worst, by a long shot. Somebody last fall posted an FF1 with CT removal that looked like it had been through a thresher. IIRC, it went from a 3.5 Purple to a 3.5 Blue, and tripled in value. If you're selling, that's why you do it. If you're not selling, why do it? Yet, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
111 posts
12 hours ago, oldrover said:

One of my TTA 27's had C1 color touch, a midgrade book.

CCS removed it...

 

1761732562_TTA274_5A.thumb.jpg.30e1dad974c662973aff94f3ea3ae3db.jpg

 

...by cutting the color touch out of the center of the cover. Now, it still got a good grade... and it's better than a PLOD... but C1 color touch removal means harsh justice.

Do you know what the original grade was on this book?  Curious how much it dropped when they cut the piece out.  Also wondering if there is a point where CCS would say it's too hard to remove.  If the CT is on the spine would they still cut it out if that was the only solution?  I'm just not clear on their process.

I know it's not ideal to have a hole in a book, but if it comes down to restored vs unrestored i can see someone making the choice.  Depends on the collector and what's important to them.

Edited by serling1978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
868 posts
55 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Do you know what the original grade was on this book?  Curious how much it dropped when they cut the piece out.  Also wondering if there is a point where CCS would say it's too hard to remove.  If the CT is on the spine would they still cut it out if that was the only solution?  I'm just not clear on their process.

I know it's not ideal to have a hole in a book, but if it comes down to restored vs unrestored i can see someone making the choice.  Depends on the collector and what's important to them.

The book was unslabbed when I sent it to them. The prescreening detected the color touch. They at that point made a judgment as to whether the final grade would be worth the effort and cost. Which was yes, it would.

I had an ASM13 7.0 with small color touch that they rejected for resto removal. Too much along the spine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,964 posts
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:24 AM, The Lions Den said:

 :(

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,964 posts
23 hours ago, oldrover said:

The book was unslabbed when I sent it to them. The prescreening detected the color touch. They at that point made a judgment as to whether the final grade would be worth the effort and cost. Which was yes, it would.

I had an ASM13 7.0 with small color touch that they rejected for resto removal. Too much along the spine.

"Small color touch"? That must have bled? Yet too much along the spine? That doesn't sound so small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,763 posts
On 9/6/2019 at 9:19 PM, serling1978 said:

Do you know what the original grade was on this book?  Curious how much it dropped when they cut the piece out.  Also wondering if there is a point where CCS would say it's too hard to remove.  If the CT is on the spine would they still cut it out if that was the only solution?  I'm just not clear on their process.

I know it's not ideal to have a hole in a book, but if it comes down to restored vs unrestored i can see someone making the choice.  Depends on the collector and what's important to them.

I would think the tape on the interior cover was a factor in the overall grade as well...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
868 posts
On 9/7/2019 at 9:24 PM, James J Johnson said:

"Small color touch"? That must have bled? Yet too much along the spine? That doesn't sound so small.

Just quoting what the old CGC label said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,438 posts

I believe the "knock down" that most of these new members are looking for as a quantifiable down grade formula doesn't really exist. as the amount of damage is relative to the overall grade the book would of been. so a 2.0-3.0 book with a tiny hole from CT removal I wouldn't see it factor to much into the grade but a 9.0 book with that same defect I could see it drop its much more. so there is no what would it drop the grade as it depends on where the original grade would of fallen into to begin with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,616 posts
On 9/6/2019 at 5:14 AM, oldrover said:

One of my TTA 27's had C1 color touch, a midgrade book.

CCS removed it...by cutting the color touch out of the center of the cover. Now, it still got a good grade... and it's better than a PLOD... but C1 color touch removal means harsh justice.

From a purely financial standpoint (assuming you had the resto removed so you could sell the book) I guess it could be considered better than a PLOD. Personally I would have rather had the Purple Label with CT than this Blue which looks like they took the color touch out with a BB gun. But, like they say, hindsight is 20/20. May I ask what the grade was before the removal?

And I am not sure if they are tightening up their standards when it comes to restoration removal, but a fellow collector recently sent in four Purple labels with (C-1) slight color touch and three of them were rejected by CCS as they determined "these books have too much restoration to safely remove."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
868 posts
41 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

May I ask what the grade was before the removal?

I thought I already answered this, but the book was unslabbed. I was guessing a 5.0 or so. So... as I was in sell mode... financially... this was the only move.

 

43 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

And I am not sure if they are tightening up their standards when it comes to restoration removal, but a fellow collector recently sent in four Purple labels with (C-1) slight color touch and three of them were rejected by CCS as they determined "these books have too much restoration to safely remove."

No, at least not in my experience. They basically make a decision based on "would this book be worth more now, or with resto removed?"

As I said earlier, they rejected a C1 of mine (ASM13), plus a few others with minor professional restoration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0