• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Restoration Removal on Bleed Through CT

19 posts in this topic

Is there any way CGC's restoration removal service can remove C-1 "small amount of color touch" if it bleeds through the cover to the inside?  FYI the color touch is on the spine of the book.  I don't know the exact methods they use to remove CT, but I'm guessing if it bleeds through then that may be a roadblock.  Just wanted to see if a book like that could be a candidate for restoration removal.

Appreciate any insight ....

One of my TTA 27's had C1 color touch, a midgrade book.

CCS removed it...

1761732562_TTA274_5A.thumb.jpg.30e1dad974c662973aff94f3ea3ae3db.jpg

...by cutting the color touch out of the center of the cover. Now, it still got a good grade... and it's better than a PLOD... but C1 color touch removal means harsh justice.

"Small" is a relative term.

I've had CT removal on a few books and you'd be hard pressed to find where the work was done because the CT was so tiny.

I'm guessing that if it bleeds thru, it's not insignificant and the removal would worsen the eye-appeal dramatically, like the TTA. Which has to be the worst CT removal of all time. doh!

40 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

"Small" is a relative term.

I've had CT removal on a few books and you'd be hard pressed to find where the work was done because the CT was so tiny.

I'm guessing that if it bleeds thru, it's not insignificant and the removal would worsen the eye-appeal dramatically, like the TTA. Which has to be the worst CT removal of all time. doh!

Not the worst, by a long shot. Somebody last fall posted an FF1 with CT removal that looked like it had been through a thresher. IIRC, it went from a 3.5 Purple to a 3.5 Blue, and tripled in value. If you're selling, that's why you do it. If you're not selling, why do it? Yet, anyway.

12 hours ago, oldrover said:

CCS removed it...

1761732562_TTA274_5A.thumb.jpg.30e1dad974c662973aff94f3ea3ae3db.jpg

...by cutting the color touch out of the center of the cover. Now, it still got a good grade... and it's better than a PLOD... but C1 color touch removal means harsh justice.

Do you know what the original grade was on this book?  Curious how much it dropped when they cut the piece out.  Also wondering if there is a point where CCS would say it's too hard to remove.  If the CT is on the spine would they still cut it out if that was the only solution?  I'm just not clear on their process.

I know it's not ideal to have a hole in a book, but if it comes down to restored vs unrestored i can see someone making the choice.  Depends on the collector and what's important to them.

Edited by serling1978

55 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Do you know what the original grade was on this book?  Curious how much it dropped when they cut the piece out.  Also wondering if there is a point where CCS would say it's too hard to remove.  If the CT is on the spine would they still cut it out if that was the only solution?  I'm just not clear on their process.

I know it's not ideal to have a hole in a book, but if it comes down to restored vs unrestored i can see someone making the choice.  Depends on the collector and what's important to them.

The book was unslabbed when I sent it to them. The prescreening detected the color touch. They at that point made a judgment as to whether the final grade would be worth the effort and cost. Which was yes, it would.

I had an ASM13 7.0 with small color touch that they rejected for resto removal. Too much along the spine.

23 hours ago, oldrover said:

The book was unslabbed when I sent it to them. The prescreening detected the color touch. They at that point made a judgment as to whether the final grade would be worth the effort and cost. Which was yes, it would.

I had an ASM13 7.0 with small color touch that they rejected for resto removal. Too much along the spine.

"Small color touch"? That must have bled? Yet too much along the spine? That doesn't sound so small.

On 9/6/2019 at 9:19 PM, serling1978 said:

I would think the tape on the interior cover was a factor in the overall grade as well...  

I believe the "knock down" that most of these new members are looking for as a quantifiable down grade formula doesn't really exist. as the amount of damage is relative to the overall grade the book would of been. so a 2.0-3.0 book with a tiny hole from CT removal I wouldn't see it factor to much into the grade but a 9.0 book with that same defect I could see it drop its much more. so there is no what would it drop the grade as it depends on where the original grade would of fallen into to begin with. 

On 9/6/2019 at 5:14 AM, oldrover said:

CCS removed it...by cutting the color touch out of the center of the cover. Now, it still got a good grade... and it's better than a PLOD... but C1 color touch removal means harsh justice.

From a purely financial standpoint (assuming you had the resto removed so you could sell the book) I guess it could be considered better than a PLOD. Personally I would have rather had the Purple Label with CT than this Blue which looks like they took the color touch out with a BB gun. But, like they say, hindsight is 20/20. May I ask what the grade was before the removal?

And I am not sure if they are tightening up their standards when it comes to restoration removal, but a fellow collector recently sent in four Purple labels with (C-1) slight color touch and three of them were rejected by CCS as they determined "these books have too much restoration to safely remove."

41 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

May I ask what the grade was before the removal?

I thought I already answered this, but the book was unslabbed. I was guessing a 5.0 or so. So... as I was in sell mode... financially... this was the only move.

43 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

And I am not sure if they are tightening up their standards when it comes to restoration removal, but a fellow collector recently sent in four Purple labels with (C-1) slight color touch and three of them were rejected by CCS as they determined "these books have too much restoration to safely remove."

No, at least not in my experience. They basically make a decision based on "would this book be worth more now, or with resto removed?"

As I said earlier, they rejected a C1 of mine (ASM13), plus a few others with minor professional restoration.