• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ummm...cover detached or staples hidden?

11 posts in this topic

So got this book back from CGC and man does it look ugly.  There are craters where the staples were, and I can see no discernible sign that the book even has staples no matter what angle I look at it from.  The book looked normal upon submission, it has never been pressed to my knowledge.

Graders notes:

chip out center of spine
light bends to cover
light creasing to cover
light spine stress lines to cover

Did they just mess this up and squeeze it way too hard and cause the staples to get sucked into the book.  I imagine the staples are in there still because they didn't note detached cover...and they'd have to be on for these craters to form right?

IMG_9788.JPG

The inner well pinches the cover (or static cling, I don't know) but the interiors move to the right and it just pulls the cover right off.  By the looks of the staple tears I'm pretty sure the interiors are still attached but they're difficult to see.  I've had this happen on SA/BA books before and was able to coerce the interiors back into position by very gently bumping the slab (spine side down obviously) against my open hand. 

9 minutes ago, comicquant said:

The inner well pinches the cover (or static cling, I don't know) but the interiors move to the right and it just pulls the cover right off.  By the looks of the staple tears I'm pretty sure the interiors are still attached but they're difficult to see.  I've had this happen on SA/BA books before and was able to coerce the interiors back into position by very gently bumping the slab (spine side down obviously) against my open hand. 

You sir...are a complete genius....Pictures forthcoming.

21 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Awesome!  Looks great!

Thanks friend.  I'd already emailed the complaint, but I dunno if I should let them off the hook.  I think they put it in too tight and now its got clear  staple tears... still $50... so I may just lodge the complaint as a FYI you may have put this in too tight and damaged the book.  Who knows, maybe it was severely jarred in shipping and not their fault.  I try not to sweat the small stuff.

Edited by szav

10 minutes ago, szav said:

Thanks friend.  I'd already emailed the complaint, but I dunno if I should let them off the hook.  I think they put it in too tight and now its got clear  staple tears... still $50... so I may just lodge the complaint as a FYI you may have put this in too tight and damaged the book.  Who knows, maybe it was severely jarred in shipping and not their fault.  I try not to swear the small stuff.

The FYI approach is a noble proposition on your part, but I'm not too optimistic it will yield fruit regarding any refinements to the process. Perhaps I'm wrong.  :foryou: