• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk 181 9.0 (white pages) - would pressing help?

19 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have a 9.0 Incredible Hulk 181 (white pages) which was graded back in 2004. I was hoping to get some feedback if it's a good candidate for pressing/cleaning. 

Here are the grader notes:

1. Front Cover Small Stress Lines
  2. Left Center Back Cover Smear
  3. Left Top Back Cover Dent Through Book

I've included two scans and two photos. 

The left center back cover smear appears to be some kind of dirt mark; you can sorta see a finger/thumb print. There's also a dirt mark on the bottom right corner of the front cover.

The color on the front cover is very vibrant.

Thank you in advance.

Front (scan).jpg

Front (photo).jpg

Back (scan).jpg

Back (photo).jpg

I would like to see what Joey says but I think it could help specially the dent and if its dirt from a fingerprint a clean could potential take it off. Might be able to pull off a 9.2 or higher. Pics are pretty bad as one with the glare makes it look like it has a top corner crease and scan doesn't show that as well as a spine stress on BC. 

I'm not planning to sell. I want to keep this until I'm a old man. But wouldn't mind seeing it cleaned/pressed, in a brand new case with a Hulk label.

I believe 2004 was the first year CGC came out with their new label; it looks very similar to the current but the case is structured different. And the "WHITE pages" is located in the middle of the label. Rather than below the actual grade.  

15 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

There is a top left corner crease/bend on the back cover. Not sure why the grader notes failed to capture all the defects. 

It did, from your original post you noted.

Here are the grader notes:
  1. Front Cover Small Stress Lines
  2. Left Center Back Cover Smear
  3. Left Top Back Cover Dent Through Book

Also, that smear could be a finger print smudge, which is difficult to remove.  Albeit, it is in yellow which can sometimes left out nicely without harming the integrity of the ink but that is likely your culprit with keeping the grade at 9.0.  With the stricter grading that is currently happening it would be a gamble to see it increase if not done by a professional who knows how to remove that smudge properly.

Good pics---thank you! 

The top left corner bend should come out with a good pressing; since it goes through the book, that flaw alone would hold the grade down. The smears/smudges look like they could be from dirty fingers. A good cleaning may be able to eliminate (or at least reduce) their appearance. If you can get rid of those flaws, you have a good shot at a significant upgrade, IMO...

34 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Apologize on the overkill with the photos.

No worries... Now, looking closer at those stains on the back cover.  They certainly are not finger prints but they appear to be deeper into the fibers and not just surface and wouldn't come out with non-evasive measures.  ie. a dry cleaning won't eliminate them.  Distilled water bath done by a person with the right skill can remove certain stains and are not detectable or leave a trace and hence would result in Universal Label but done by an amateur and you're in worse position then originally started.

There are definitely flaws that a press will help but the grade may not change as grading is subjective and the stance on staining might be harsher then when the book was originally graded and although the minor creases would be gone the stains being graded more tough could result in a net zero result on any grade change.

Edited by Red_Hood

Read through the whole thread. Book does have potential. 

Some of what I read does worry me in that it has shades of Jason Ewert in trying to slide one pass the goalie. Jason was able to do this for awhile, and now he is not allowed in the arena, let alone on the ice. 

On 9/6/2019 at 2:20 PM, Lorne Malvo said:

I'm not planning to sell. I want to keep this until I'm a old man. But wouldn't mind seeing it cleaned/pressed, in a brand new case with a Hulk label.

I believe 2004 was the first year CGC came out with their new label; it looks very similar to the current but the case is structured different. And the "WHITE pages" is located in the middle of the label. Rather than below the actual grade.  

I thought the 2nd Gen came out in 2005? If yours isn't 1st Gen, then I definitely prefer the current label/slab to those.

On 9/6/2019 at 4:10 PM, Red_Hood said:

No worries... Now, looking closer at those stains on the back cover.  They certainly are not finger prints but they appear to be deeper into the fibers and not just surface and wouldn't come out with non-evasive measures.  ie. a dry cleaning won't eliminate them.  Distilled water bath done by a person with the right skill can remove certain stains and are not detectable or leave a trace and hence would result in Universal Label but done by an amateur and you're in worse position then originally started.

There are definitely flaws that a press will help but the grade may not change as grading is subjective and the stance on staining might be harsher then when the book was originally graded and although the minor creases would be gone the stains being graded more tough could result in a net zero result on any grade change.

wow how do you tell that from pictures I can guess the darkness in the spots might be a hint to that dry cleaning wont remove much of it but from a picture how do you tell that its deep into the fibers wouldn't you need a loupe and the book in hand to see if its a stain and if it runs deep into the pages, compared to dirty fingerprints?