• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loss of Friendly Local Comic = Diminished Interest in Hobby?

46 posts in this topic

That's too bad. I've never had a true local comic book store. There was one the next town over when I was 10 or 11 but I wasn't buying new comics back then. For about a year or so there was one on my commute to work before that job ended. Otherwise, I've almost always been 25-30 minutes away which is too far. I wish I had a LCS nearby where I could get to know the owners and other regulars and have people to talk comic books about.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:46 PM, the blob said:

Rats are yucky. Among many things it is very irritating to see a viable business that employed 3.5 people (he had 2 full time guys and a part-time guy in addition to himself) get replaced by a vacant store front. Sure, if they ever do get the space rented more people will be employed, but right now we have 4 empty stores (maybe 3, I could be wrong).

Walmart bought a strip mall by my house with what I assume was a plan to build a Walmart.  So the businesses closed once their leases ran out.  However, the Walmart never got built.  I believe they argued with the city about who was going to pay for the road improvements needed to handle the additional traffic.  So now we have an empty mall where the best pizza place by us used to be.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:34 PM, kav said:

To be successful a comic store has to diversify and adapt.  My local LCS sells a lot of games and magic cards and has several gaming nights.  The place is interestingly decorated and clean as a whistle.  Pull boxes are meticulously attended to and owner is polite and helpful.  Snappy insults for customers have no place there.

Yes I agree it has to show that the owner cares. I have been in some rat holes in my time which to me don't bother me as I am on the hunt for books.
But parent bringing their kids in for the 1st time is a terrible impression.

The older wave of shop owners are retiring or honestly just plain dying due to age and poor health sometimes. 
The newer generation is diversifying into toys, Role playing, statues and other stuff. I think a shop can survive 
either way, but the owners MUST use IG, Facebook, and a website to survive anymore.

They have to establish and online presence and use that outlet to make sales. The one advantage to a brick
and mortar is you get to buy stuff cheap.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 9/6/2019 at 3:09 PM, the blob said:

The shop closest to my office closed in March. It was one of those places where folk congregated and BSed. The owner wasn't trying to scam anyone and the prices were not crazy and sometimes there were some good deals there. A Midtown Comics location is not too far, but it isn't the same. The next closest "old school" shop is a bit of a schlep and, as a result, is not somewhere I'd go during lunch and BS. While I have you guys I feel like it has taken something out of my affection for the hobby since losing that place. I know many of you despise shops (presumably due to cruddy owners) and make a big point about not having been in one for years, but I feel a bit of a loss. Oh well.

What was the name of the shop? (shrug)

38 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Yes I agree it has to show that the owner cares. I have been in some rat holes in my time which to me don't bother me as I am on the hunt for books.
But parent bringing their kids in for the 1st time is a terrible impression.

The older wave of shop owners are retiring or honestly just plain dying due to age and poor health sometimes. 
The newer generation is diversifying into toys, Role playing, statues and other stuff. I think a shop can survive 
either way, but the owners MUST use IG, Facebook, and a website to survive anymore.

They have to establish and online presence and use that outlet to make sales. The one advantage to a brick
and mortar is you get to buy stuff cheap.

My LCS guy greets everyone that walks in.  I've seen him leaving his store, all locked up with security gate closed and someone walks up and he will reopen the store to help them.

My LCS does not sell back issues or vintage stuff. Just current stuff, action figures, t-shirts and I guess magic cards. I no longer buy moderns just supplies once in a while. Nice, clean, friendly store but not a place where people congregate. Just in and out. I like the place and it is convenient for my needs but it wouldn't affect me it they went away.

There is an area near buy that at one time had probably 20 antique malls, a comic store with some back issues and a vintage record store. Most have been driven out due to high rents and either replaced by little restraunts or remain empty. Bums me out as I used to find lots of stuff in that area. 

No comic stores in my area (LA) that carry any significant amount of back issues (especially GA or SA). At least there are a decent amount of used record stores around to scratch my vinyl itch. 

This closure has less to do with the challenges of running a current-day comic shop and everything to do with the NYC retail blight. It's a storefront ghost town here due to landlord greed. Small businesses are getting pushed out left and right. And the irony is the landlords are likely losing more money with the vacancies than whatever they think they were leaving on the table before the egregious rent hikes. We desperately need a vacancy penalty in this city.

27 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

This closure has less to do with the challenges of running a current-day comic shop and everything to do with the NYC retail blight. It's a storefront ghost town here due to landlord greed. Small businesses are getting pushed out left and right. And the irony is the landlords are likely losing more money with the vacancies than whatever they think they were leaving on the table before the egregious rent hikes. We desperately need a vacancy penalty in this city.

I agree. Something will go in there eventually, but the stores that are vacant are very shallow, not good for anything but small retail. Truth be told he did not have a lot of back issues, but he constantly got new stuff and moved inventory. As I said he was doing fine financially but raising hos rent like $3000 a month or something made it non viable. 

Edited by the blob

3 hours ago, the blob said:

Chameleon. They were 50-60% comics and comic themed stuff and 40-50% sports cards

Comic Chameleon was originally located in Flushing, Queens back in mid 90's. Then Steve and his partner went their separate ways and Steve moved the shop to Maiden Lane. I was a regular customer for many years since my office was located inside the Woolworth building. I am surprised that he hasn't relocated. hm

Amazing boardie RonS2112 gave me the last name of my LCS owner as a kid. He died of a heart attack in 2000. So I wrote the wife (whom also worked there) a long thank you letter saying how much the place meant to me as a kid and how much the place shaped who I am today.

No response. 

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

My LCS does not sell back issues or vintage stuff. Just current stuff, action figures, t-shirts and I guess magic cards. I no longer buy moderns just supplies once in a while. Nice, clean, friendly store but not a place where people congregate. Just in and out. I like the place and it is convenient for my needs but it wouldn't affect me it they went away.

There is an area near buy that at one time had probably 20 antique malls, a comic store with some back issues and a vintage record store. Most have been driven out due to high rents and either replaced by little restraunts or remain empty. Bums me out as I used to find lots of stuff in that area. 

No comic stores in my area (LA) that carry any significant amount of back issues (especially GA or SA). At least there are a decent amount of used record stores around to scratch my vinyl itch. 

what's the best used record store in LA in your opinion? Dumb question - Amobea, I guess, right? LCS?

Edited by NoMan

2 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

Comic Chameleon was originally located in Flushing, Queens back in mid 90's. Then Steve and his partner went their separate ways and Steve moved the shop to Maiden Lane. I was a regular customer for many years since my office was located inside the Woolworth building. I am surprised that he hasn't relocated. hm

He just said F-it. Finding space in Manhattan is too hellish, setting up a new location too expensive. His family has stuff to keep him occupied.

7 hours ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

The business books say your rent should be 10% of your sales, so if you add $3000 to that, there's no way a small comic shop can add $30,000 a month in revenue.

I think it is more like if he was clearing $86k (a total guess BTW) jacking up his rent meant he'd clear $50k. Not worth it to him anymore at that pay to commute in from long Island. Minimum wage in NYC is $31k now. 

6 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Seems like most of the shops n this area, are doing ok, but not as much old stuff being put out.  Very little Silver/Bronze.  Are you guys seeing this in you regions? Probably attributed to more people selling on their own via CL or ebay

It's the opposite here, a little bit. The stores that have survived are starting to do a little more old stuff. A) The new stuff is really struggling, B) The old stuff is so hot right now with such high prices.

Blob: Yes, that's always one way to look at it too. One can afford something but it isn't worth it.