• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why I hate the end of the year........
1 1

59 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

Damn I live in Canada and I know we generally do keep the furnace low but our Jan and Dec heating bills are like half of that 400

Dang!  And $200 Canadian is like $6.

6 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

Damn I live in Canada and I know we generally do keep the furnace low but our Jan and Dec heating bills are like half of that 400

Im sure up north in America costs for heat are high....

As far as Texas, I have no where near a "large" home, and I just spent $459 on my electric, which o can only assume is due to air conditioning....

Im sure there are plenty of people who have it worse or better depending on pov and their means,  but this last month had me hurting!

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

Well, my gas bill is $100+ in the summer just from hot water, cooking, and running the dryer, so $200 isn't doable in the cold.

I live in a big old house with lousy or no insulation and an antiquated heating system. I do not have the $25-30K or so it would cost to insulate and get a better furnace. Not to mention, even though I replaced the windows 12 years ago, I did not get the best replacement windows. I also have a wife who insists that the heat be on. I am fine bundling up. Plus, I have 100 pounds of blubber to keep me warm. Anyway, while NYC is pretty hit or miss in terms of snowfall (I think we got very little last winter, a decent amount a year or two before), January and February are consistently cold enough (not -20 or anything, sure) that I have to keep the heat on. Unfortunately.

Edited by the blob

14 hours ago, the blob said:

Well, my gas bill is $100+ in the summer just from hot water, cooking, and running the dryer, so $200 isn't doable in the cold.

I live in a big old house with lousy or no insulation and an antiquated heating system. I do not have the $25-30K or so it would cost to insulate and get a better furnace. Not to mention, even though I replaced the windows 12 years ago, I did not get the best replacement windows. I also have a wife who insists that the heat be on. I am fine bundling up. Plus, I have 100 pounds of blubber to keep me warm. Anyway, while NYC is pretty hit or miss in terms of snowfall (I think we got very little last winter, a decent amount a year or two before), January and February are consistently cold enough (not -20 or anything, sure) that I have to keep the heat on. Unfortunately.

damn I understand that sucks. Pro tip low quality windows is where most of the heating and cooling loss is in the house. You might have done this already but you should go around the house and re caulk all the windows and doors and check for any drafts see if you can caulk it or seal it. I know they have cheap sealing kits for sale to outline the windows as well. Also to maybe help if you have time is to place some clear plastic over the windows in the winter where its really cold specially if your in a old house. 

28 minutes ago, Krishosein said:
15 hours ago, the blob said:

damn I understand that sucks. Pro tip low quality windows is where most of the heating and cooling loss is in the house. You might have done this already but you should go around the house and re caulk all the windows and doors and check for any drafts see if you can caulk it or seal it. I know they have cheap sealing kits for sale to outline the windows as well. Also to maybe help if you have time is to place some clear plastic over the windows in the winter where its really cold specially if your in a old house. 

I've been slowly replacing the 40+ year old windows in my house with good quality energy efficient ones.  The old ones were double pane, but old and metal, and the seals were blown on most.  I replaced three one year, two another year, two another year, etc.  They have made a huge difference in both visuals, and the heat/cool exchange from outside - plus, they have dramatically reduced outside noise that filters in.

A friend told me how to do it, and the tools I would need, and the rest I looked up on youtube.  I'm not much of a carpenter, but the replacing windows was pretty easy.  Time consuming until you found a groove, then it got easier and quicker.  And boy, do they make a difference!

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

I've been slowly replacing the 40+ year old windows in my house with good quality energy efficient ones.  The old ones were double pane, but old and metal, and the seals were blown on most.  I replaced three one year, two another year, two another year, etc.  They have made a huge difference in both visuals, and the heat/cool exchange from outside - plus, they have dramatically reduced outside noise that filters in.

A friend told me how to do it, and the tools I would need, and the rest I looked up on youtube.  I'm not much of a carpenter, but the replacing windows was pretty easy.  Time consuming until you found a groove, then it got easier and quicker.  And boy, do they make a difference!

oh yeah they do make sure you get windows with a LoE or Lowe coating on them with argon fill. this provides the best kind of insulation and its usually a bit more but worth it in the long run. The argon filled chamber usually takes several years for it to diminish until its not as effective but you can get a good 10+ years of efficiency from having argon filled Sealed unit glass. Go with triple if you can afford it and get better efficiency. 

Most people don't know that getting better windows helps long term to save you. Yeah its expensive but making that investment helps a lot. 

Also pro insider info go with a casement or awning window if you can compared to one that slides. As sliders don't have the best weather stripping and have a higher air infiltration compared to a casement or Awning window (usually has a handle/crank to open and close) they are a bit more expensive but trust me worth it. 

13 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

What was the topic to begin with? lol

who knows something about pumpkin spice latte's from Starbucks for the fall lol 

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

I get it, but when I moved in we had to replace 25 Windows. Single pane, originals, half did not open. A good brand, custom fitted, was over $750 each and the ones we got were under $300 (claimed to be EE, probably not so much) I didn't have $20k+++ for Windows. Problem is, even if the Windows cost me $100 a month during the winter it will take a long time for recoup the $15-20k. I have done the wrap, but most of these are windows we may open during the winter.i I need to re-caulk.

Edited by the blob

17 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:
18 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Apple season.   Cider donuts and Apple Crisp.    :cloud9:  Temp in the low 40's tonight.  

Sounds good.  I’ll be over later. (thumbsu

You'll notice he did not mention that the sap is flowing....., :D

22 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

As far as Texas, I have no where near a "large" home, and I just spent $459 on my electric, which o can only assume is due to air conditioning....

Im sure there are plenty of people who have it worse or better depending on pov and their means,  but this last month had me hurting!

my sister lives in a McMansion in Sugar Land, Tx and her ac bill was 1k.

1 minute ago, NoMan said:
21 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

my sister lives in a McMansion in Sugar Land, Tx and her ac bill was 1k.

It's tough, the electric company has a monopoly here it seems :eek: 

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's tough, the electric company has a monopoly here it seems :eek: 

i don't think they care. They have a new car every 4 months I go to see my mom. Their 20 year old kid with his baby and baby mamma live there, too. I ate a bowl of his Fruity Pebbles and almost threw up. the kid's kid is like 2 or something and is just starting to talk. I think his first words were "OH, SH*T!" The house is full of toys. Man, everything. Toy Grilling Barbecue hunk of plastic, various plastic cars, play bench press with fake weights. You know that stuff you have by the fireplace with like a sweeper and like that to clean the fireplace. He has a toy plastic one. 

It's another world in Sugar Land, Texas. Great coffee tho at Blended Coffee Club by the giant Imperial Cane Sugar silos/building, the only thing that looks real there. "Let's build a mansion and add six turrets and an indoor and outdoor pool. And a turret atop the pool slide!"

Whenever I drive through these McMansion subdivisions in Sugarland with the houses right next to each other I always wonder how much longer this planet's got left. It really gets me down. 

Edited by NoMan

We have a budget plan for our gas and electric, so it's the same amount every month. They check the usage like twice a year and then raise or lower our cost, and average it out per month. Works well. At least my wife tells me that's what we're doing. For all I know the house is powered by geothermal and she's spending that money on purses. I really should look into this stuff, I guess.