• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Comics Signature Auction Catalogue from 2001
1 1

31 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

Was this one of the first Heritage Comics auctions?

Most likely Heritage's first main catalog auction.

When you search Heritage's resource archives and put in a generic "Action" in the search and then sort by "Oldest Sales", results pop up for an auction that was held a couple of weeks prior on November 11. 2001. Possibly an internet only auction, see mostly raw books offered/sold.

Results, for this catalog auction, are showing up next in oldest and contain prime CGC material.

As noted in another recent thread here on the boards, the Greg Manning auction that Jay Parrino was dominating was held in the Spring of 2001. This Heritage auction is in Fall of 2001. Sotheby's last main comic auction was in June 2000, so you can say this was sort of a passing of the torch in the comics auction world!

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

As noted in another recent thread here on the boards, the Greg Manning auction that Jay Parrino was dominating was held in the Spring of 2001. This Heritage auction is in Fall of 2001. Sotheby's last main comic auction was in June 2000, so you can say this was sort of a passing of the torch in the comics auction world!

The passing of the torch probably began with the monstrous size Greg Manning Fall of 2000 Catalog in October of that year.  Not sure when CGC first opened their doors, but I believe that auction featured many of the very early graded books that came off the CGC grading tables.  (thumbsu

If I do remember correctly, the prices on some of those books were right up there in never never land, especially relative to guide which most collectors were still using as a reference point back in those long gone days of yesteryear.  :whatthe:  :flipbait:

47 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The passing of the torch probably began with the monstrous size Greg Manning Fall of 2000 Catalog in October of that year.  Not sure when CGC first opened their doors, but I believe that auction featured many of the very early graded books that came off the CGC grading tables.  (thumbsu

If I do remember correctly, the prices on some of those books were right up there in never never land, especially relative to guide which most collectors were still using as a reference point back in those long gone days of yesteryear.  

Charter members were submitting and getting books graded by CGC in late 1999 (around November/December)

CGC opened its doors to the rest of us amateurs in January 2000.

But, you bring up a very good point about CGC books getting "prices on some of those books were right up there in never never land" right from the start!

With CGC's 20th anniversary approaching, there was "never" a time that premium or highest graded or pedigree or rare keys weren't getting highest prices paid in CGC's existence!

We sometimes get blinded by the ridiculous prices being paid for CGC material (Tomb of Dracula 9.9, anyone?) but sometimes don't recall the high premiums paid from the get go. The "good ole days" may have been good, but not cheap!

Edited by DanCooper

10 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

But, you bring up a very good point about CGC books getting "prices on some of those books were right up there in never never land" right from the start!

With CGC's 20th anniversary approaching, there was "never" a time that premium or highest graded or pedigree or rare keys weren't getting highest prices paid in CGC's existence!

We sometimes get blinded by the ridiculous prices being paid for CGC material (Tomb of Dracula 9.9, anyone?) but sometimes don't recall the high premiums paid from the get go. The "good ole days" may have been good, but not cheap!

Yes, and as I had posted in another thread on the boards here about a week ago:

I think the first time I became shocked at the prices that CGC books were getting was when one of the Overstreet updates came out and had a picture of a HG Shadow Comics #1 that had sold for $2,500.  Not the GA Shadow 1 by Street & Smith or even the BA Shadow 1 by Kaluta, but rather the BA common as dirt one by Howard Chaykin.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

I thought at the time it must have been nothing more than a typo or had misplaced the decimal point and they really meant only $25.  I guess not so much, even though to this day I still can't fathom why somebody would pay $2,500 for a book that to this day is still considered to be fodder and can be found in the dollar or even 25 cent box at some of the local cons.  Makes me wonder how the buyer is feeling about his purchase now 20 years later.  hm  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine