• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for New Collectors: Open those books!

22 posts in this topic

Stating the obvious, I know, but in the euphoria of collecting after a 30 year absence away from the hobby, and with books arriving almost daily in the mail, I’ve set a few purchases aside to re-bag and board in Mylars. 

Finally started the process of organizing my haul this morning, and while most of the books were as-advertised (and even better, in some cases), one — listed as “very high grade” — has a giant hole on pages 12-13. (In addition to having a cover that’s way more tan that the pic suggested, which leads me to think that he adjusted the contrast to create a brighter-looking book.) 

So, new collectors, open those books and look for flaws and cut-outs not mentioned in the listing! 

D30F7CBB-B8A5-4BA3-A1E6-6E2E035422F1.jpeg

F5ECEF23-F736-4279-85D3-1D8B630BF121.jpeg

Edited by alexanderjk

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You should probably read them, too...

Ah, who am I kidding? People think comics are basically pieces of currency, and not art...

good to see you finally understanding lol :sumo:

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wanna post the, "fight me u lil _____", but I'll get in trouble...

:roflmao: :hi:

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wanna post the, "fight me u lil _____", but I'll get in trouble...

well we don't want you to get in trouble specially just before the grading contest.... or...hm:whistle:

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Leads to my 2nd favorite emoji:

:acclaim:

sorry to derail the thread but what's your number 1? is it this :pullhair: or this :censored:

9 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Ah, who am I kidding? People think comics are basically pieces of currency, and not art...

What a great idea! 

(You do realize that trades and digital editions exist so we don’t have to thumb through every book in our collections, right?)

1 hour ago, alexanderjk said:

What a great idea! 

(You do realize that trades and digital editions exist so we don’t have to thumb through every book in our collections, right?)

I think you should read them at least once.  I have a valuable book with a tare like that too.  How does it happen?  Yours removes some story so grading it will probably get zinged  not sure how much.  Good luck!

4 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

I think you should read them at least once.  I have a valuable book with a tare like that too.  How does it happen?  Yours removes some story so grading it will probably get zinged  not sure how much.  Good luck!

Seller is accepting a return, so I’m shipping it back tomorrow. 

17 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Look at you, Mr. Edumucated.  Some of us ain't as learned as yous.  We dun kno how to reed as good as you so we needs thems fancee art.