• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HOW BIG A DIFFERENCE DOES Page QUALITY AFFECT THE VALUE OF A CGC GRADED COMIC?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Probably depends on

a) how they present 

b) issue

c) price

d) what my intentions are

15 hours ago, AwesomeSauce said:

Now, THAT'S helpful. THANKS, Karl Liebl!!!

Centering is kind of like page color.  It is not really dinged bad by CGC but both are important in their own way.  Revat just called it "presentation" so he was on the mark too.  Everybody wants both but there are a lot of books out there that don't have both.  Only you can decide what is more important to you.  I think I would get the 9.2 unless the centering is way off.

I'd buy the copy that looks the best.  I think eye appeal comes from a number of features, around which everybody's got different tastes.  In this grade category, where there aren't any major structural defects, the registration of the cover, placement of the staples, cleanliness of the cover, richness of the cover inks, and whiteness preservation of the cover stock would all be factors affecting my decision.

Edited by namisgr

to argue for both sides I would say it really depends on what your purpose of collecting is some they base their decisions on PQ and only want white pages others they look at overall eye appeal including PQ as well as centering how much staining etc.. 

if your flipping some only care about the # grade. So I would say it really comes down to your purpose and collecting preferences. 

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:03 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

Assuming both issues present the same. Assuming the 9.0 costs $20.00 more than the 9.2. Assuming I am interested in the issue gaining value, after a long period of time.

I'm not sure how much this means to anyone without knowing what the actual prices are, unless the $20 is the difference between feeding your kids this week or not.  In which case I say feed your kids.

On 9/7/2019 at 5:57 PM, AwesomeSauce said:

I am trying to choose which one to buy: a 9.0 graded issue, with Off-White to White Pages ; or a 9.2 graded, of the same issue, with Off-White Pages. Which one would you buy?

Neither. Hold out for the 9.4 or higher one with WHITE pages.

CGC hasn't been that consistent or transparent about page quality. 

There's probably little to no real difference between those books. 

I'd get the higher grade at those levels. 

I avoid brittle or slightly brittle at all cost. I just won't buy them.