• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice selling a couple of books

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Newbie collector here. Well not so much new as I’m 40, but my collection is small. I’m interested in selling a couple of books. A hulk 181 7.5, and a giant size x men 1 8.5. I purchased both through a private dealer in another state years ago. I’ve never sold a book before, only purchased. So I’m not really sure what the safest way to do so is. Like what payment method is safest? Both are CGC graded obviously, so I figured this would be a good place to start. I’ve read the newbie guide, I was just wondering if there was any further advice. Both books are great, but I’m building a race car and freeing up some funds would be useful. I expect to list both here at a competitive price once I’m sure I understand the “norms”. Thanks in advance guys! Heading back to reading newbie stickies now! 

On 9/7/2019 at 8:01 PM, Indy Eric said:

Hey guys,

Newbie collector here. Well not so much new as I’m 40, but my collection is small. I’m interested in selling a couple of books. A hulk 181 7.5, and a giant size x men 1 8.5. I purchased both through a private dealer in another state years ago. I’ve never sold a book before, only purchased. So I’m not really sure what the safest way to do so is. Like what payment method is safest? Both are CGC graded obviously, so I figured this would be a good place to start. I’ve read the newbie guide, I was just wondering if there was any further advice. Both books are great, but I’m building a race car and freeing up some funds would be useful. I expect to list both here at a competitive price once I’m sure I understand the “norms”. Thanks in advance guys! Heading back to reading newbie stickies now! 

I have sold only two books (ASM #13 CGC 7.0 and ASM #2 1.5 raw), but I used PayPal both times. From what I have read from others, some people will only use bank transfer or cashier's check for very expensive books. Both your books would fall into the category of expensive books. FYI, i sold my ASM #13 for $2300.

I will be interested in reading the comments of other sellers.

Joe

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer
Typo

Welcome!

Obviously there's Ebay/Paypal - though you deal with 13% fees between the both of them and all the risk of buyer scams is on you as well as possible state sales tax considerations.  I have sold several small things that way - nothing on the magnitude of what those books would bring in (~ $2500-$3500 range).    Personally I haven't run into any problems with those types of sales (up to $250 level).  

There's selling here on the boards. No fees that way but it certainly helps to have built up an 'online reputation' first.

There are also consignment services like Comic Link/Comic Connect/Heritage etc  who basically sell the book for you and have quite an amount of experience with expensive books. That's about a 10 % commission and relieves you of much of the scam risk as you are not the one selling the book.  Those 3 are well known firms.  I would suggest going to their web sites are reading up on their info

Good luck on the car!!

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies! I’ve been reading on here quite a bit over the weekend, and I see checks and money orders mentioned quite often. Both would need to be cashed obviously before shipping. Is this a semi standard method? I have paypal, but I am mildly concerned with buyer scams. Both of my books are legit, and pics will be posted clearly in the for sale section. I’m thinking GSX 1 cgc 8.5 $2500, and hulk 181 gcg 7.5 $3000, so both aren’t exactly “cheap”, but I want to be sure that I am protected as the seller. I know the prices are extremely competitive and expect a quick sale. Again, thank you for the warm welcome and wishes! 🤗

Pretty sure Paypal offers protection. And as far as I know, if you sell to someone here, as long as they aren't on the probation list, you are unlikely to encounter any problems. You make out better on boards like this as a seller because you skip the ebay fees. 

only tip is if you do decide to sell on the boards before your post you sales thread read the info on what information needs to be in the thread so the mods don't pull it. like payment terms, refund policy, shipping, price, etc... best of luck with the sale. 

All great advice! Thank you! I really like the way these boards are set up, and I don’t have any interest in posting elsewhere. I’m a small collector, but I prefer this community base vs say eBay. Again, I’ve done all my purchasing from small private dealers

Edited by Indy Eric

Others have mentioned it, but safety/security can also be a function of cost.

If you live in a major metropolitan city, you might be able to a cash in hand sale in front of a police station.

Or you can send to a auction/consignment house, but they take a larger fee.

You could hire a bonded courier to hand deliver, but that's obviously expensive.

But yes, Money Order and Checks are safer for you, but then some buyers might be thinking you're ripping them off (since you don't have a known history [or maybe you do] and then you don't realize as high of a price.

27 minutes ago, revat said:

Others have mentioned it, but safety/security can also be a function of cost.

If you live in a major metropolitan city, you might be able to a cash in hand sale in front of a police station.

Or you can send to a auction/consignment house, but they take a larger fee.

You could hire a bonded courier to hand deliver, but that's obviously expensive.

But yes, Money Order and Checks are safer for you, but then some buyers might be thinking you're ripping them off (since you don't have a known history [or maybe you do] and then you don't realize as high of a price.

Yes, I think I see the full spectrum of selling options now. I’m going to post up for sale later tonight including pics and details. I’ll offer many pics and videos for potential buyers. The thing I like about these forums is it’s a little more personal. Granted I don’t have a high post count, but I do believe my asking prices are low enough that with the additional pics/videos the buyers will feel comfortable. I’m not looking to rip anyone off. I’d just like to see happy new owners and continue my race car build lol. 

28 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I'm obviously naive, but how can a buyer scam you by paying with PayPal?

Joe

So I’m fairly new to PayPal. I was living in japan the last 4 years (Retired Military) and it’s not widely used there. But I know they charge a % to use it, and I’ve heard stories of people having “buyers remorse” and putting in false claims against sellers causing a ripple of drama. I don’t “think” that would be an issue here, but not having used it much it’s in the back of my mind. I’m not worried about my books not being as advertised, they are exactly as they will be and detailed pics/videos. But I see most books over $500ish here aren’t sold that way. Thus my original post. I’m confident both buyers and myself will be happy. Just being cautious and heeding the advice of those of you that buy/sell more often than I do.

1 minute ago, Karl Liebl said:

Try here on the boards. Most here are serious collectors and won't rip you off but if you are charging too much dont expect many responses.  check is fine just deposit it first!

Thank you! First book sold here in 4min! Prices are super fair. I’m just happy to see them go to a good home! The community support here has been great! I much prefer this over other less personal sites

2 minutes ago, Indy Eric said:

Thank you! First book sold here in 4min! Prices are super fair. I’m just happy to see them go to a good home! The community support here has been great! I much prefer this over other less personal sites

Wanted books always sell if you are not too greedy...  Other stuff not so much hehe!