• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Grader Notes

18 posts in this topic

I am not sure if this is the place to post this but I recently sent in my first batch of comics to be graded.  When i sent them in I had a basic subscription.  After about a few weeks of them being received i upgraded my subscription to the 2nd tier (sorry i don't recall what its called) 

My books are on their way and i only have grader notes for the lowest graded book.  I was under the impression that with my upgrade i now have access to grader notes?  Do i not have access sence i sent them in before upgrading?  

22 hours ago, Geeksity said:

I am not sure if this is the place to post this but I recently sent in my first batch of comics to be graded.  When i sent them in I had a basic subscription.  After about a few weeks of them being received i upgraded my subscription to the 2nd tier (sorry i don't recall what its called) 

My books are on their way and i only have grader notes for the lowest graded book.  I was under the impression that with my upgrade i now have access to grader notes?  Do i not have access sence i sent them in before upgrading?  

you might want to call CGC but from what I understand and have seen myself is not all books gets grader notes usually the lower grade ones do; 9.8's I don't think get graders notes in general really. obviously there are always exceptions to this statement. 

22 hours ago, Geeksity said:

Generally 9.6 and 9.8 don't get grader notes.  I've only gotten grader notes on some 9.4's, but not always.  I tend to see grader notes for books that are 9.2 and lower.

2 minutes ago, Geeksity said:

they were graded 9.8 to 9.2.  I think this may be the reason why

Some people think that every book should have grader's notes. I disagree.

Would I like grader's notes for everything below 9.4/NM? Yes, but, I don't expect them for anything 9.0 and higher.

On 9/9/2019 at 11:30 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Would I like grader's notes for everything below 9.4/NM? Yes, but, I don't expect them for anything 9.0 and higher.

I think it would be nice if there was at least some consistency.  For example, every 9.4 (or whatever) and below requires Grader Notes.  At least then you would know what got the book knocked down.  Kind of lazy on CGC's part to be able to assign whatever grade they deem fit and not have to explain themselves.

I have an order right now that just went into Finalized/Imaged/Shipped but hasn't actually been shipped yet.  There are 20 books and four have Grader Notes (which I can already see) so I know that at least those four are not 9.8's.  I'm waiting anxiously for them to ship so I can see the grades.  If CGC was consistent I would at least have an idea.  Not to mention that we pay them for our books to be graded and the service should be consistent.  The fact that no one can really say what books get Notes says that they are not.  

Here is the issue  Things like this should be explained.  It's expected only because i have not seen anything anywhere explaining that grader notes are only applied to certain grades.  Every book shows the option of grader notes so when you see one book with notes and not the other it's confusing for a first timer.  Now, i do agree with you.  If its over a 9.4 there really is no need to have grader notes BUT for a company that grades books they may want to consider giving reasons for said grade, regardless, i got my answer and i understand now.  

On 9/13/2019 at 10:26 PM, Iconic1s said:

I think it would be nice if there was at least some consistency.  For example, every 9.4 (or whatever) and below requires Grader Notes.  At least then you would know what got the book knocked down.  Kind of lazy on CGC's part to be able to assign whatever grade they deem fit and not have to explain themselves.

I have an order right now that just went into Finalized/Imaged/Shipped but hasn't actually been shipped yet.  There are 20 books and four have Grader Notes (which I can already see) so I know that at least those four are not 9.8's.  I'm waiting anxiously for them to ship so I can see the grades.  If CGC was consistent I would at least have an idea.  Not to mention that we pay them for our books to be graded and the service should be consistent.  The fact that no one can really say what books get Notes says that they are not.  

In my experience, it all depends upon the graders. If they're in a hurry, higher grade books may not receive notes. Also, please bear in mind that graders are expected to keep their numbers up; taking notes can be a time consuming process which leads to lower numbers, and lower numbers leads to less throughput. It is, after all, a production oriented system. I wish they'd take notes on every book, but the reality is they don't...  o.O 

8 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

In my experience, it all depends upon the graders. If they're in a hurry, higher grade books may not receive notes. Also, please bear in mind that graders are expected to keep their numbers up; taking notes can be a time consuming process which leads to lower numbers, and lower numbers leads to less throughput. It is, after all, a production oriented system. I wish they'd take notes on every book, but the reality is they don't...

I 100% agree with everything you said.  I think the grader notes would be most helpful when deciding what to do with the book next.  For example, if it is a modern book that comes back 9.4/9.6 is it something that can be pressed out or something that can't be fixed like foxing.  In cases like that it might help make a decision to either live with it or to give it another try.

Please keep in mind that I am coming from the perspective of a person that really only submits for my own collecting and not to resell (except in rare cases where I might get multiples of 9.8's).

Grader Notes would let you know exactly what knocked the book down.  I've had two different submissions of the same book (two different books of the same issue) both come back 9.6 but only one with Grader Notes.  I'd really like at least one to be 9.8 but can't make an informed decision as to which one to send back in for CPR without notes on both of them.  That's a bummer.

40 minutes ago, Iconic1s said:

I 100% agree with everything you said.  I think the grader notes would be most helpful when deciding what to do with the book next.  For example, if it is a modern book that comes back 9.4/9.6 is it something that can be pressed out or something that can't be fixed like foxing.  In cases like that it might help make a decision to either live with it or to give it another try.

Please keep in mind that I am coming from the perspective of a person that really only submits for my own collecting and not to resell (except in rare cases where I might get multiples of 9.8's).

Grader Notes would let you know exactly what knocked the book down.  I've had two different submissions of the same book (two different books of the same issue) both come back 9.6 but only one with Grader Notes.  I'd really like at least one to be 9.8 but can't make an informed decision as to which one to send back in for CPR without notes on both of them.  That's a bummer.

I understand your frustration, and perhaps I can help.

9.6's usually have some minor flaw such as a spine bend or a finger dent which keep them out of 9.8. In other words, defects that could be pressed out. The things I would look for when examining your books is whether or not you can see any color breaking defects such as tiny spine stress lines or tiny corner wear. Books with those kinds of flaws will likely never make it to 9.8 unless the color breaking defect is extremely minor. I hope this helps, and good luck...  :foryou:

On 9/13/2019 at 10:26 PM, Iconic1s said:

I don't disagree. I just don't care as much as (seemingly) most people. I feel like I can easily dissect how/why CGC assigned high-grade.

On 9/9/2019 at 12:30 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I agree

Anything below 9.4 should have grader notes

On 9/8/2019 at 1:15 PM, Geeksity said:

On 9/16/2019 at 12:35 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

I agree

Anything below 9.4 should have grader notes

One opinion, whatever it's worth, is there should definitely be grader's note's between 9.6 and 9.8, because the difference in the worth of the comic can be 2-4 times more than the lesser.