• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Big Apple Pedigree Thread
1 1

34 posts in this topic

Definitely a lot of primo superb looking Big Apple pedigree books in this thread here.  (thumbsu  

Since I don't own any of the Big Apple books myself yet and I always like to get a sample of the various pedigrees within my collection, just a question here. 

Any idea if the Big Apple books carries much of a premium or are they one of these pedigrees that tends to go for pretty much what an equivalent graded non-pedigree copy would go for, plus just a shade more?  ???

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely a lot of primo superb looking Big Apple pedigree books in this thread here.  (thumbsu  

Since I don't own any of the Big Apple books myself yet and I always like to get a sample of the various pedigrees within my collection, just a question here. 

Any idea if the Big Apple books carries much of a premium or are they one of these pedigrees that tends to go for pretty much what an equivalent graded non-pedigree copy would go for, plus just a shade more?  ???

Think it's more the latter... the page quality really hurts the books.  Though the Big Apples from the mid-1940s (stored separately when the collection was found) are as nice as any pedigree I've seen.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:31 PM, EastEnd1 said:
On 9/10/2019 at 2:27 PM, lou_fine said:

Think it's more the latter... the page quality really hurts the books.  Though the Big Apples from the mid-1940s (stored separately when the collection was found) are as nice as any pedigree I've seen.

Based upon your comment here, I just went into the CC website to check on their current auction and it looks like they have the following 2 Big Apple books:

pol1.691a.jpg

win1.1294a.jpg

Looks like the consignor decided to get the Police 57 reholdered into the new pedigree slab since it still indicates the book was graded back in 2012.  The consignor of the Wings 69 didn't bothered to since it is still sitting in the same original slab when it was graded way way back in the early part of 2001. 

With less than a day to go for both these books, if the current high bids are any indication (which they most likely are not), you are probably right in saying that this Big Apple pedigree might not have much of a premium attached to it.  Especially since both of these books are still running at pretty large discounts to condition guide right now, and probably more so with the Wings since it is sitting at just over $120 or well under half of condition guide at this point.  This is even in light of the fact that both of these books are from the supposed primo PQ time period of the mid-40's for the Big Apple books, as evident by their White Pages here.   (thumbsu

Probably has something to do with the not quite so classic covers for both of these books here, especially the one with Plastic Man.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Based upon your comment here, I just went into the CC website to check on their current auction and it looks like they have the following 2 Big Apple books:

pol1.691a.jpg

win1.1294a.jpg

Looks like the consignor decided to get the Police 57 reholdered into the new pedigree slab since it still indicates the book was graded back in 2012.  The consignor of the Wings 69 didn't bothered to since it is still sitting in the same original slab when it was graded way way back in the early part of 2001. 

With less than a day to go for both these books, if the current high bids are any indication (which they most likely are not), you are probably right in saying that this Big Apple pedigree might not have much of a premium attached to it.  Especially since both of these books are still running at pretty large discounts to condition guide right now, and probably more so with the Wings since it is sitting at just over $120 or well under half of condition guide at this point.  This is even in light of the fact that both of these books are from the supposed primo PQ time period of the mid-40's for the Big Apple books, as evident by their White Pages here.   (thumbsu

Probably has something to do with the not quite so classic covers for both of these books here, especially the one with Plastic Man.  hm  (shrug)

It would be a shame if these mid-forties Big Apples didn't go for a premium... the books from that period really are as nice as any other pedigree that does get a premium.  I know Phil Weiss fairly well... he's the one that found the Big Apple books (along with the Bethlehem and Sherman pedigrees).  Been a while since I've spoken with him about them, but my recollection is he told me the mid-forties books were kept in a trunk in the house itself, whereas the rest of the collection had been moved to a garage or shed along the way.  As a result, much of the collection has tanning and page quality issues but not the mid-forties books which stayed untouched in the house and were pristine. I bought a few from Phil when he was still bringing them to market and I can attest that they are gorgeous... the ones I submitted for grading typically came back 9.2-9.6s with white pages... and that is untouched and unpressed!  The atom and silver age stuff though was a whole different story due to the storage conditions.  I sold the Big Apple X-Men #1 about ten years ago and I think it was a 4.5 or 5.0 with cream to off-white pages.  I still have the Big Apple Aquaman #1 in a box somewhere (my stuff isn't so organized or I'd post a few) and I'm pretty sure it's a 9.0 with off-white pages and no interior cover tanning... so there were some silver age that survived in decent shape still.  The big thing about the Big Apples is the breadth of the collection... it ran from the early golden age through the late silver age and I'm remembering it numbered something like 18,000 books (will ask Phil on that figure next time I speak with him).