• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's Phase 5 rumors
1 1

501 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

This is the most incorrect statement I’ve read in some time...

take a look at your gpa 

Giant size and other x books dropping

That hasn't been my recent experience on eBay since the nationwide quarantine started. A raw GSX1 I bid on sold for over $4K. A raw X-Men #101 I was looking at sold for over $700. But not just X-Men is what I meant. As someone who has bought and sold on ebay over the past month and a half, my observation is that people are spending a lot of money on comics on eBay right now.

7 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

That hasn't been my recent experience on eBay since the nationwide quarantine started. A raw GSX1 I bid on sold for over $4K. A raw X-Men #101 I was looking at sold for over $700. But not just X-Men is what I meant. As someone who has bought and sold on ebay over the past month and a half, my observation is that people are spending a lot of money on comics on eBay right now.

1 or 2 over gpa sales does not indicate a trend.

It was probably stimulus check money as nobody would buy a 4.0 GSX 1 for over 1000.00 at this time with hard earned money lol.

again...GPA is dropping and that is a mathematical fact not an assumption sir.

Just now, Shoomanfoo said:

And wait...you are a vendor and do not know your gpa prices??

You think that because during quarantine and free money that those books are actually climbing?

interesting to say the least

I'm not a vendor by any means. I don't even know what gpa means. I'm just a collector who's been selling a little more recently, and I'm basing my previous post on my recent buying/selling experience and also from comments on social media. There seems to me to be more bidding activity and higher prices on ebay right now than in recent months and one can correlate that with an entire nation unable to go anywhere or do anything with their money since March.

13 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

You think that because during quarantine and free money that those books are actually climbing?

I don't really know where prices have been. I'm more an investor for the long term and haven't made big purchases lately. So maybe records aren't being set, though I've seen a couple folks on social media make that comment regarding online sales. I myself have tried to use this downtime to pick up a few bigger dollar books on auction sites, and I keep getting outbid with final sale prices I'd never thought some of these books would get. And on the other side, I've sold a few books to thin out the collection and got final sales much higher than I'd expected.

29 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm not a vendor by any means. I don't even know what gpa means. I'm just a collector who's been selling a little more recently, and I'm basing my previous post on my recent buying/selling experience and also from comments on social media. There seems to me to be more bidding activity and higher prices on ebay right now than in recent months and one can correlate that with an entire nation unable to go anywhere or do anything with their money since March.

Oh I see.

well I will agree that sales have spiked lately and I’ve also been outbid with ridiculous prices.

Though I don’t think it’s a trend and only due to s much free money.

beside the checks I personally know people getting unemployment from state and the unemployment from federal and making more money than when they worked.

this well end soon. 

Oh gpa is a service that cgc offers that gives you the latest up sales of any given grade averaged to make an accurate estimate of fair market value.

6 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Oh gpa is a service that cgc offers that gives you the latest up sales of any given grade averaged to make an accurate estimate of fair market value.

It's not CGC, it's some dude from the land down under.

50 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Oh I see.

well I will agree that sales have spiked lately and I’ve also been outbid with ridiculous prices.

Though I don’t think it’s a trend and only due to s much free money.

beside the checks I personally know people getting unemployment from state and the unemployment from federal and making more money than when they worked.

this well end soon. 

I don’t want to downplay some real hardships people are dealing with out there. I don’t doubt some collectors are having fun with their stimulus checks, but I also think a big part of it is collectors unable to buy comics at their LCS or go to conventions or shows. The only immediate way to buy comics right now is off auction sites, mostly eBay.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

18 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

This is the most incorrect statement I’ve read in some time...

take a look at your gpa 

Giant size and other x books dropping

Prices tend do dip across the board during the  late November - March period year in year out, and they were down before COVID-19 hit. At the start of COVID they pulled back a but further on fear, but since then on eBay they have been rising for the past month as people buy due to 1) stimulus cheques and most importantly 2) no conventions. Clink results have been more spotty - for every book you sell that sets a GPA high there are 2 or 3 that sell for at or less than GPA.

Edited by kimik

On 5/5/2020 at 9:03 PM, Shoomanfoo said:

Obviously I'm four months late to this conversation and pricing trends have changed during that time--which I would have expected myself back when you posted this on May 1, and what I'm posting now is exactly what I would have posted then had I clicked into this thread this year--but the trend I see in GPA pricing for X-Men key issues (as well as keys from several other major titles) is a modest increase in pricing.

And that's exactly what I was expecting as soon as the shutdown happened.  There's an ironic truth about recessions that I saw hold true after the 2008 and 2001 economic downturns--the price of most in-demand hard assets like gold and collectibles rises during a recession.  I'm not entirely sure why it happens, but in general people seem to stop putting money into markets when they're volatile and put it into other places, and collectibles ends up being one of those places people put money.  I haven't been following comic prices closely during this recession, but I just spent about twenty minutes looking through GPA and see prices are largely up on the keys I follow over the last 90 to 120 days.

The market I have been following more closely is action figures, and those are up sharply since the recession started.  In the past I've seen a sinking national boat causes rises in all of the collectibles markets--guns, cards, coins, comics, toys, or whatever.

After selling some of my early X-Men multiples this summer at auction, I would say that early X-Men and the early keys are up quite a bit from start of Covid until now. Check out the X-Men #1 CGC 4.5 that just sold for $10,100 on GPA, for example. They have jumped nicely from July until now. I keep buying them for below GPA prices whenever I can find them.