• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleveland Comic Con - September 7 - 8th

4 posts in this topic

There was a pretty big (space wise) con this weekend that looked to be a complete disaster.  I didn't take any pictures since I was rushing to get out the door yesterday so i could go watch another disaster (Browns Game).  The promoter booked a big chunk of the local fairgrounds and was not charging for table spaces.  A good way to bring in casual sellers, right?  You would think so but it was still a disaster in terms of the number of comic dealers that attended and a bunch of people packed up and didn't come back on Sunday.  I heard rumors of Carbo being in attendance on Saturday and doing Carbo type stuff while people were setting up.  That guy is just special on so many levels.  Anyone attend and have some stories?

So a highlight of the show was going through a vendor who had $1, $2, and $4 bins. Only to find out as soon as I pulled books he said he had them in the wrong boxes and would not honor the pricing. Specifically The Black Cat #1 regular Campbell cover he had maybe 6 of them in the dollar bin, only to say that they should have been in another bin and he pulled them. Then I found a Second Print of Venom First Host #3, in the $2 bin, and it had a pricing sticker of $2. He said he could not honor that as well. So basically I spent 30 minutes going through his bins trying to help him find the books he needed to change prices on. I did find some nice books that collectors turned sellers were offering at fair prices. All and all I would go back again, its nice to see a few people who you dont see at shows selling things that dont fit in their collection any more.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:11 PM, brianlake7 said:

So a highlight of the show was going through a vendor who had $1, $2, and $4 bins. Only to find out as soon as I pulled books he said he had them in the wrong boxes and would not honor the pricing. Specifically The Black Cat #1 regular Campbell cover he had maybe 6 of them in the dollar bin, only to say that they should have been in another bin and he pulled them. Then I found a Second Print of Venom First Host #3, in the $2 bin, and it had a pricing sticker of $2. He said he could not honor that as well. So basically I spent 30 minutes going through his bins trying to help him find the books he needed to change prices on. I did find some nice books that collectors turned sellers were offering at fair prices. All and all I would go back again, its nice to see a few people who you dont see at shows selling things that dont fit in their collection any more.

I think I would have had more luck if I would have been able to come on Saturday but Saturday was my birthday so I was enjoying not thinking about comics for the day.  I heard a lot of grumbling from vendors on Sunday and some were even thinking about going to the nearby fleamarket since the sales were so low.