• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wash Tone Covers
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Many of us are aware of the numerous wash tone covers published by DC over the years. Most often, these appeared on DC war comics, but occasionally, they appeared on a super-hero cover. Here's an example of a wash tone cover, Green Lantern #8.

GL8.jpg

This type of cover has lead me to a few questions.

1) If I understand correctly, these covers were published using only pencil art. Is this correct?

2) Who thought of this? Does anyone know the reasoning behind publishing this type of cover?

3) Does anyone know what the first wash tone cover?

4) Did Marvel ever do a wash tone cover during the Golden, Silver, or Bronze age?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Joe

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

16 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Agreed. Did Marvel ever do any of these type of covers?

Joe

John Romita Sr. talked about using a similar process on Marvel Fireside Covers like "Son of Origins of Marvel Comics"

I know they also did a lot of grey tone art in magazines in the 70s.

I would guess there is various grey tone art in early marvel as well, though, can't say off the top of my head.

poster.jpg

poster.jpg

Edited by bronze_rules

37 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

I would guess there is various grey tone art in early marvel as well, though, can't say off the top of my head.

Not on the covers, to my knowledge.  The closest effect I've seen is the coloring of the Thing on a few early SA covers, like this one:

ST116.JPG.41b0691f01f052e8d695abee1bfa2103.JPG

Another early example done in the early 40's made to make the cover pop.More eye appeal of the cover equaled higher sales of the book which made for profit for the comic companies.

102_6103.thumb.JPG.8e992fcccd387db1b1748725ecc781f8.JPG

If you want to find the greatest concentration of greytone/washtone covers, look no further than the G.I. Combat run from #75-104, with a few before and after. Jack Adler was a big proponent of the process. It's a wonderful artifact of the 40s through the early 70s.

75-7.jpg