• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Berkbridge Foundation - Questions Regarding Legitimacy
8 8

682 posts in this topic

They state on eBayhttps://charity.ebay.com/charity/BERKBRIDGE-FOUNDATION/1814988 ):

Berkbridge Foundation is a U.S. non-profit organization under IRC 501 (c) (3) with a primary mission to provide financial support to single mothers in child care related matters. 

EIN: 472554006San Diego, CA5 FavoritesCharity Id: 1814988

Charity Finder states on its site ( https://charity.ebay.com/charity/BERKBRIDGE-FOUNDATION/1814988 ):

EIN 47-2554006
Name in IRS Master File BERKBRIDGE FOUNDATION
Address 401 RYLAND ST STE 200-A
RENO, NV 89502-1643
NTEE Code T50
NTEE Classification Philanthropy, Charity, Voluntarism Promotion, General
NTEE Type Philanthropy, Voluntarism and Grantmaking Foundations
Classification Charitable Organization

I have not found a Form 990.  That's not necessarily unusual as it can take a while for 990s to be filed and become available.

1 hour ago, icefires said:

I am a retired fraud investigator, so I have some experience here. 20 minutes of internet research already has me SMH. Sad.

Their reported sales on ebay in the last 30 days is ~$118,000. Can you explain a little using your expertise what you are seeing?

IRS site has info on it:  https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/allSearch.do?ein1=472554006&names=&resultsPerPage=25&indexOfFirstRow=0&dispatchMethod=searchAll&city=&state=NV&country=US&postDateFrom=&postDateTo=&exemptTypeCode=al&deductibility=all&sortColumn=orgName&isDescending=false&submitName=Search

Including a Final Determination Letter dated 8/29/2017 stating it has qualified as exempt under 501(c)(3).  This letter POST-DATES and auto revocation for failing to file its Form 990 in May 2017.  Auto revocations are not the same as permanent revocations and are curable.  But, this does not tell you anything about how the organisation uses the money it receives etc.

Edited by sfcityduck

From the Nevada DB site:

https://nevadadb.com/company/E0626592014-5/berkbridge-foundation.html

Berkbridge Foundation was registered under company Id E0626592014-5 and Nevada Business Id NV20141764182. This company type is Domestic Non-Profit Corporation. This business was created four years, eight months and twenty-one days years ago - on 2014-12-15. Current company status is Active. 

Registered Agents Inc. is the current agent of this company. This agent office address is 401 Ryland St Ste 200-A, Reno, 89502 NV. Berkbridge Foundation home state is NV.

There are 8 officers and directors in this company. Michael Dawson with secretary title, Michael Dawson with secretary title, Nathan George with treasurer title, Nathan George with treasurer title, Robert Jalali with president title, Robert Jalali with director title, Robert Jalali with president title, Robert Jalali with director title.

Edited by sfcityduck

Personally, I would not give money to a Foundation unless I knew what they do with the money. 

But, here we are talking about buying a comic book.  I'm not a tax accountant or lawyer, and I don't know how buying a comic on eBay or Heritage can legitimately be claimed as a charitable contribution.  So I'm not sure how the status of the seller impacts the buyer on that front.  

25 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Personally, I would not give money to a Foundation unless I knew what they do with the money. 

But, here we are talking about buying a comic book.  I'm not a tax accountant or lawyer, and I don't know how buying a comic on eBay or Heritage can legitimately be claimed as a charitable contribution.  So I'm not sure how the status of the seller impacts the buyer on that front.  

And this brings up and interesting question, since they are a non-profit charity, does anything I buy from them count as a charitable contribution for tax purposes?

5 minutes ago, kav said:

I feel confident Berkbridge will show up and clear this up like they did with the shilling accusations.

If they are getting higher prices for their books because they are a charity then they should not be getting listed on GPA IMHO.  Did that get cleared up?

Edited: This has nothing to do if they are legit or not.

Edited by Xenosmilus