• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Berkbridge Foundation - Questions Regarding Legitimacy
8 8

682 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

Looks like his eBay account isn't listed as a Charity anymore....

Good grief.....that's not suspicious at all.

Whatever agency is in charge of overseeing charities in that state probably needs to take a HARD look at the Berkbridge Foundation and their past activities.  

One other little thought that just occurred to me.  The new web site doesn't have a phone number, and I don't recall any advertisement of a phone number in any of the email threads I ever had with Berkbridge.  That in itself is a worrying sign because it means Jalali never wanted to go to the trouble of setting up a phone system that maintains the facade of a charity.  Who should I call if I want to donate to help all those moms?  The answer is, I can't because there's no such thing.

Makes me wonder if there was also no such thing as Jalali's assistants "Nicole" and "Sophie," who it should be noted never mentioned Jalali's name and, in at least one case I can personally document, tried to pretend that an unnamed "consignor" (and not Jalali himself) was the owner of a book in which I had expressed interest.

I'm convinced that one of the most useful things people on this thread can do is make sure that Google searches for "Berkbridge Foundation" continue to bring up these very credible allegations of fraud at or near the top of the search results.  We have to keep this thread going and get the word out there.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

Don't overlook another powerful motivation: the opportunity to declare the income/collectibles gains from comic book sales as going to a tax exempt charity or nonprofit.

It's conceivable that this is not just an EBay fee dodge, but an IRS dodge as well, particularly in light of the complete lack of publicly available information on any charity dispersals and lack of cooperation on the part of the organization to provide such information, although we'll likely never know for certain.

Absolutely.  I didn't mention them explicitly, but taxes would fall squarely within those costs of doing business.

Even if not all of the details come out, I'm still hopeful that this unwanted sunlight is going to force him to change his ways, one way or another.

On 10/23/2019 at 9:38 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

On his payments page, he announces that a "fee may apply" on PayPal transactions.

The listings only show Discover as payment option on ebay which is a change from last month.

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

So is something actually being done about Berkbridge's actions? This is just so wrong in every single way...

I think there are basically three places to take this fight:

1. To eBay, which until very recently had been Jalali's one and only storefront.  It seems safe to infer that this has been done, based on the actions he's taken.
  2. To the IRS, which may be happening, though no one has spoken publicly about anything they may be doing here.
  3. To the collector / dealer community, which to me is the most important purpose of this thread and why it should be kept going.

That's just my take, but others may have more to add.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I think there are basically three places to take this fight:

1. To eBay, which until very recently had been Jalali's one and only storefront.  It seems safe to infer that this has been done, based on the actions he's taken.
  2. To the IRS, which may be happening, though no one has spoken publicly about anything they may be doing here.
  3. To the collector / dealer community, which to me is the most important purpose of this thread and why it should be kept going.

That's just my take, but others may have more to add.

But.., but..., what about all the jagoffs here, that have interfered with Jalali's right to work the system? (shrug)

And severely inconvenienced his business model?

Shouldn't they be persecuted to the full extent of law?

We need that boardie law student, who is well studied in libel and slander and restoration to take the case!

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

We need that boardie law student, who is well studied in libel and slander and restoration to take the case!

As I've mentioned previously......I took several law courses at a somewhat respectable community college in Booger Hole, West Virginia, right next to the nicest Piggly Wiggly you've ever seen.

Lible and Slandir are my specialties.

1 minute ago, Domo Arigato said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

As I've mentioned previously......I took several law courses at a somewhat respectable community college in Booger Hole, West Virginia, right next to the nicest Piggly Wiggly you've ever seen.

Lible and Slandir are my specialties.

Was that Bugtussle CC?