• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Berkbridge Foundation - Questions Regarding Legitimacy
8 8

682 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

I've been experimenting with Halloween avatars, so not sure which one you saw.  This one?

That's it,was scrolling along yesterday and :whatthe:lol 

Is that angry Greta?I recognized her from the weather fighting thread

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

That's it,was scrolling along yesterday and :whatthe:lol 

Is that angry Greta?I recognized her from the weather fighting thread

:whatthe:  There's a weather fighting thread?

2 minutes ago, icefires said:

Three Dogfish 120's in 15 minutes. I don't even remember posting that so I hid it. If you have ever had Dogfish 120, you would understand. I think.

I haven't had the pleasure, but I'm picking up what you're putting down...  (thumbsu

By the way, the berkbridge.org domain now goes to a GoDaddy page stating that the domain name is "parked" and offering the opportunity to have GoDaddy try to purchase it from the owner (presumably still Jalali).

Berkbridge's eBay store (now with 122 listings) still encourages visitors to "contact us at INFO (at) BERKBRIDGE (dot) ORG" -- this is itself a violation of eBay's rules, of course.  I'm not sure if the domain being shut down for HTTP traffic necessarily means the email address is out of commission, but I suspect it might not.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

10 hours ago, whisp said:

I see no reason why he is being so stubborn on giving the info and making threats if he was legit.

The threats were a serious tactical error. I wonder about the writer of that message. My guess is that the writer is the same one who went to see a forum member's collection and somehow swapped out books. A 62 year old Robert Jalali that appears to be as accomplished a businessman and educator couldn't be foolish enough to make rank amateurish tactical mistakes like that, could he?

The threats in response to requesting info about the foundation, info that the forum member was entitled to, was the tell. He might as well have sent up a flare along with those threats That's a far cry from how any legitimate foundation pursuant to furthering their cause would have reacted, without exception. That's how someone with something to hide would have reacted. And just the fact that a 62 year old consummate businessman should have known that and reacted differently than "he" did, indicates to me that at least some, if not more or all of forum members' assumptions about the nature of the foundation are likely more probable than possible.

11 hours ago, whisp said:

I think we can assume it has become clear that something is off with this foundation.  He could have squashed any issues by just providing a scan of the info that was requested and everyone would have been on their way.  Any legitimate foundation would have provided info happily.

I have worked for a non profit organization before and part of my job was getting donations and doing cold calls to businesses in the community to get support and I would always have any required info they wanted ready for them.  A bit different but still would think if his goal is to support single mothers he would go out of his way to provide any info requested.

I see no reason why he is being so stubborn on giving the info and making threats if he was legit.

If he was legit then this could have been some advertising for his foundation because I bet lot of people never even heard of this foundation and the comic community likes to support so he could have turned this negative into a great positive for his foundation.

I made a similar observation back several pages (I think page 15). A total fail to legitimately come forward to make your case, especially to a demographic of people that is right down the middle of who you would most likely benefit from doing business with.

30 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

I made a similar observation back several pages (I think page 15). A total fail to legitimately come forward to make your case, especially to a demographic of people that is right down the middle of who you would most likely benefit from doing business with.

Not to mention what it means for all those single moms depending on Jalali's charitable assistance.  If I were one of them, I would be p-i-s-s-e-d.