• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Important / Impactful Living Artist
1 1

159 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, J.Sid said:

If not Neal, then who?

You can trace a huge chunk of the inspiration behind the Image Comics style of art to Art Adams, and from Art directly to Michael Golden.  Many artists I've talked to confirm this.

But I concede I might be biased.  A bit.  9_9

But you were asking for opinions.

Neal Adams

Todd McFarlane

George Perez

Brian Bolland

Art Adams

Steranko

Alex Ross

All of the above influenced other artists and made a huge impact on the art of comics and how they were perceived.  I also think each advanced the medium significantly. 

1 minute ago, BCarter27 said:

You old guys crack me up. Go look at the actual books on the stands. The most influential American comic artists living today are Jim Lee/Scott Williams.

I also thought about adding Frank Quietly. His influence will only continue to grow.

10 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Crumb is interesting. Would love to hear you elaborate on your criteria and how he fits it...

It's funny -- it's like trying to explain how Dylan is important.  He's a figure so baked into where comics are now that he's almost invisible, huh? Since his influence over the beginnings of underground artwork is massive, you can see his shadow over most autobiographical work, too, pretty much anything you'd see from Fantagraphics and Drawn & Quarterly.  His transgressive work, his self-analysis, his joining of funny animal work with a genius eye toward social satire...I can't say he's one of my heroes or anything -- his work is intensely problematic -- but we're talking about "impactful/important." And in the larger culture, those kind of comics have a lot of mainstream readers.  I think you can make the argument that no Crumb/no Maus, or no Crumb/no Ware/Barry/Groening/Clowes, for instance.  He doesn't have much to do with superhero stuff, however, so if that's everyone else's criterion, I wouldn't nominate him.  Neal and Jim Lee and the other names above are more valid in that case, I think.