• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Important / Impactful Living Artist
1 1

159 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Actually, I think that would be quite an accomplishment.

I like Larsen's work and I especially like seeing his posts on social media explaining why he does what he does. Even if you don't like it (and I'm sure he'd be fine with that), it's cool to see how much sweat he puts into figure out how to tell a story.  And doing 245 issues of a comic really is a creative achievement.  Even if you're, I dunno, Jack Chick. You might not like it, but the argument "I don't like something and thus it's bad" doesn't really sway me. 

2 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Yikes. That’s like the spoilage amount for most runs. 

2500 copies... UGH lol

There's no way that makes money.

Todd must just be willing to publish it at a loss because he can.

Wow, those are some tiny print runs. I have to imagine they still cover printing costs at this level. It seems like at that level they are basically subscription level only sales.

I think its cool he is going out there plugging away at his book. He has a very small but loyal fanbase keeping it profitable, so on he goes. More power to him.

5 hours ago, vodou said:

Evidently outselling Spawn by a healthy margin... lol

SPAWN #299

$2.99

IMAGE COMICS

4 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Yikes. That’s like the spoilage amount for most runs. 

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

2500 copies... UGH lol

There's no way that makes money.

Todd must just be willing to publish it at a loss because he can.

Spawn #299 sold over 60k according to July numbers, so it's doing fine lol. Those August numbers must be for subsequent printings or residual sales 

17 minutes ago, awayne83 said:

Spawn #299 sold over 60k according to July numbers, so it's doing fine lol. Those August numbers must be for subsequent printings or residual sales 

Heh. Trickery!!

Man 2500 made no sense. thanks!

37 minutes ago, awayne83 said:

Spawn 299 had a 2nd printing, so that's probably what that number is.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:36 AM, zhamlau said:

Agreed, using the standard of how much it sells for to determine greatness is off...but clearly its what some folks here use.

I will say this for Kincade, a lot of people seem to like his stuff since it sells so well. I dont get it myself, but to each their own.

because EVERYONE wants a Hobbit cottage!

My answer to the question is the Image Comics founders. The comic book industry wouldn't be what it is today without them. They moved comic books into the realm of style over substance, which almost destroyed the industry. Today's comic industry (for the most part) focuses on making good stories, and just letting the rest happen organically. i.e. collectable markets, OA, etc. That mentality is a direct reaction to the near implosion of the market. And that implosion, I believe, was causally linked to the Image founders.

18 hours ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

because EVERYONE wants a Hobbit cottage!

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

...You know....yeah...I sorta do too...

I have one. The real thing is much nicer than the painting - even though they're priced nearly the same lol