• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting the youth to comics

79 posts in this topic

When I was teaching at a magnet school, I brought a short box of old comics for my classroom, dime box stuff. A few kids were interested, until they got their hands on them. Turns out, high aptitude middle schoolers have a keen ability to detect drek.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

I had a short box of comics sent to me, when our house burned in 2010.  A good friend of my wife's son was really intrigued by them.  He knew most of the characters.  I gave him the entire short box, before going through them myself.  

my nephew likes tennis shoes. He showed me some "Air Jordans" that "are worth thousands." And that Kanyea West creep has some shoes that "are worth thousands." You can't wear them of course. 

The whole philosocial angle about if nobody wants it it's worthless escaped him

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

I have on numerous occasions given away comics for Halloween. Many shop owners are receptive to the idea , and will give you great pricing on (age appropriate} stuff. Lots of times they will have left over Free Comic Book Day stock. I started this at my sister's house; 2 years in a row, and her kids were known thru the neighborhood for it! 

I was surprised how much the kids liked it.

Ooh, I like this idea too. 

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

I have on numerous occasions given away comics for Halloween. Many shop owners are receptive to the idea , and will give you great pricing on (age appropriate} stuff. Lots of times they will have left over Free Comic Book Day stock. I started this at my sister's house; 2 years in a row, and her kids were known thru the neighborhood for it! 

I was surprised how much the kids liked it.

there's some LCS that do this a Halloween kind of free comic book day. 

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

my nephew likes tennis shoes. He showed me some "Air Jordans" that "are worth thousands." And that Kanyea West creep has some shoes that "are worth thousands." You can't wear them of course. 

The whole philosocial angle about if nobody wants it it's worthless escaped him

There are adults who still look at Ebay asking prices for unsold items and say "I have one!  Look what it's worth!" but there aren't any that have ever sold at that price.

Kids who don't get it are just younger versions of the same adults who don't get it.

Love these boardie stories.  An update: My cousin's son was mesmerized by the covers, hardly even looked at me to say thank you. lol  I mentioned 8 years of age was about when I'd started reading comics.  Kid was always more of a Darth Vader fan than Jedi... so I figured he'd prefer Venom over Spidey (just like me!).

Edited by exitmusicblue

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

Love these boardie stories.  An update: My cousin's son was mesmerized by the covers, hardly even looked at me to say thank you. lol  I mentioned 8 years of age was about when I'd started reading comics.  Kid was always more of a Darth Vader fan than Jedi... so I figured he'd prefer Venom over Spidey (just like me!).

Pull a run of $1 Darth Vaders from the dollar-bins for him! The 2015 series was pretty good actually!