• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting the youth to comics

79 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Jaylam said:

I was always a Metal Men fan, but this story from Metal Men #21 stands out to me as quite well thought out and done as the writer creates great foils for the Metal Men with these "evil plastic robots". Little did we know at the time (1966) that polyethylene and polypropylene would soon become storage bag materials for comic books (and evil straws)!

773540735_metalmen21edited.jpg.5c8f42a564fdc2fbcd45fac79bf4880f.jpg

Were the Plastic Poseurs eventually defeated by the Mighty Mylar?

I have been giving Silver Age reader copies to one of my wife's friends kids. The girl is 13 and the boy is 11. The girl has taken a liking to Archie books and the boy to war themed books. I might also add the girl is a Scooby Doo fan so I found several of the newer Scooby Doo Team-Ups for next to nothing a local con and gave those to her. They seem to really enjoy the books, but if they ever go out to seek books on their own is yet to be seen. 

22 hours ago, kav said:

This is the kind of comic i wanted to read as a kid and can still enjoy as an adult-now everything's about the angst-

81r8VXyUe+L._SY445_.jpg

I used to enjoy the Superman Family 100 pagers as a kid back in the mid 70s. Great reprints. 

4 hours ago, comics4all said:

@kav I hope none of those BA Caps you gave to the kid @ school  had Frank Robbins art or he may never  read a comic again! lol

That’s the material I was often exposed to when I started collecting. He was prolific in the 70s.

But, I survived. 

9 minutes ago, kav said:

what about Swan's run on world's finest?

Much prefer LOSH.

The only World’s Finest story by him that I recall fondly is The Composite Superman, which is not too surprising.

The run I’m least familiar with, though.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

Much prefer LOSH.

The only World’s Finest story by him that I recall fondly is The Composite Superman, which is not too surprising. 

he was in 2 issues and I highly recommend all the Swan issues 141-173.  

On 9/12/2019 at 4:10 PM, kav said:

great issue with top notch Swan/Klein art!  Highly recommend.

Pretty creepy to think that people in the Phantom Zone can see and hear everything going on in the outside world. Who needs a hidden camera? Just put me in the Phantom Zone. 

6 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Donated a box of rougher comics and stuff I dont collect to a teacher for their classroom. Grades 3-4 would be using the books. If just one gets hooked, I consider that a win. 

And it could be days from now, or years from now.  Nostalgia works in mysterious ways...