• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“What’s the lowest you can go?”
1 1

116 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Along the lines of what Gotham Kid suggested, "I would prefer that my item go to a good home, and, based on our interaction, I don't think you would be a good fit for this book."

Just imagining the blank stares you'd get with that statement brings me pleasure.

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I don’t blame them either. Nor do I get upset. (Depending on their attitude). Frankly, I don’t like haggling any way either as a buyer or seller. The price I ask is what I need to get for it. Why mark it up just to lower my price. People don’t do it in a restraunt or any established retail business. 

When I get a whiner that tells me “it isn’t worth that” I ask them to take the item to 7-11 and try and get a carton of milk for it. Now that we have established that it isn’t worth anything to 99% of the world, what is it worth to the buyer or the seller? 

But this is the collectible business, I get the dance. I have quoted my price. In a poker game it is up to the next player to make a move. 

I had a guy try and kick me down on some nice PCH on Saturday. These are the hottest books on the planet right now and virtually impossible to replace. I had looked through his boxes and his average PCH was priced literally 4 times what I was asking for similar material. He, of course, picked out two of my best ones and offered half my asking price. I told him I had seen his prices and decided mine were more than fair. He gave me a pitiful look and started whining about something I don’t remember. I just took them back and said I changed my mind and will just keep them. You should have seen the look on his face...

I don’t like this guy anyway and obviously no body else did either. He sat over by himself not selling anything and hardly anybody spoke to him. 

You don’t like my price, make a fair offer or look for the next disperit sucker...

I've seen transfer inflation in many comic shops.  When you bring it in to sell its a low grade low value hunk of junk.  When it hits their wall suddenly its a high grade highly valuable rare gem.

"Since the value of collectibles is somewhat subjective I absolutely believe you that this book isnt worth near what I am asking-to you.  Therefore I cannot foist this carp upon you but will instead sell to someone who subjectively thinks this is a great book at a great price.  I am not saying either of you is right or wrong.  Good day."

I like to think of it as a bit of a dance...  Them: "What's the lowest you could go?" Me: "How much can you afford to spend?" Them: "I like to get a good deal." Me: "So do I." Them: "Could you do this much?" (Makes a ridiculously low offer)  Me: "Hmmm...no, I couldn't do that---I paid more than that for it." Them: "Well, that's the best I can do." Me: "I'm sorry. I know times are tough. I've got bills to pay, just like you. And I don't know about you, but my wife/girlfriend/partner (choose one) is always hitting me up for extra cash, too..." Them: "Tell me about it." Me: "I'm pretty sure I just did..."  lol 

1 minute ago, The Lions Den said:

And I don't know about you, but my wife/girlfriend/partner/cat (choose one)

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I just listed an item this morning, and less than an hour later got the "what's your lowest?" message. I no longer have amusing answers to these messages. I told them that the item had only been up for a few minutes, so at the moment i wasn't looking to lower my price too much, but feel free to make an offer. At which point they said "Well, I just sent that because the listing says you take "Best Offer"," to which I replied "YES, the "Best Offer" is the feature that allows you to make an offer. So feel free to use it."

I feel like this happens several times a week. I guess I need to set a threshold so the nutjobs will get an auto-decline and I won't have to reply to the lowballs, but these messages aren't even offers, they're just messages!

IQ's have definitely been dropping across the board.

I have gotton the same thing happen right here on the boards within minutes of posting a book. I usually don’t look at PMs anyway when I’m posting. Nothing more fun that replying back after I’m done that sorry, someone took it at full price...:roflmao:

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I have gotton the same thing happen right here on the boards within minutes of posting a book. I usually don’t look at PMs anyway when I’m posting. Nothing more fun that replying back after I’m done that sorry, someone took it at full price...:roflmao:

One time I was selling my car to a neighbor-he wanted to 'drive it around for a few days' to see if he wanted it.  It was a reliable well running vehicle and I was selling it for $500.  He drove it for a week and my brother got in a car wreck that crushed his hand.  He was driving around on his motorcycle one handed.  I said no you're gonna kill yourself you can have my car.  I asked my neighbor for the key as I was giving it to my brother.   He was devastated.  SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT INSTEAD OF ******* AROUND BRO.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I don’t blame them either. Nor do I get upset. (Depending on their attitude). Frankly, I don’t like haggling any way either as a buyer or seller. The price I ask is what I need to get for it. Why mark it up just to lower my price. People don’t do it in a restraunt or any established retail business. 

When I get a whiner that tells me “it isn’t worth that” I ask them to take the item to 7-11 and try and get a carton of milk for it. Now that we have established that it isn’t worth anything to 99% of the world, what is it worth to the buyer or the seller? 

But this is the collectible business, I get the dance. I have quoted my price. In a poker game it is up to the next player to make a move. 

I had a guy try and kick me down on some nice PCH on Saturday. These are the hottest books on the planet right now and virtually impossible to replace. I had looked through his boxes and his average PCH was priced literally 4 times what I was asking for similar material. He, of course, picked out two of my best ones and offered half my asking price. I told him I had seen his prices and decided mine were more than fair. He gave me a pitiful look and started whining about something I don’t remember. I just took them back and said I changed my mind and will just keep them. You should have seen the look on his face...

I don’t like this guy anyway and obviously no body else did either. He sat over by himself not selling anything and hardly anybody spoke to him. 

You don’t like my price, make a fair offer or look for the next disperit sucker...

I tend to save my lowballs for books that are not super hot that minute. Maybe a book that cooled a little, etc

8 hours ago, blazingbob said:

3).  The Stack guy who feels more deserves a bigger discount.  What you call a stack and my expectation of a stack are VERY different.  $100-$300 of my high grade isn't floating my boat for the bigger discount.  

Yes! That highlighted part is my favourite. Sooo many folks think that pulling out 5-6 $3-10 books is a LOT of books, or as they like to call it "a bunch", and thus deserving of a discount. To which I tell them: "buying 20 longboxes is a "bunch.""