• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“What’s the lowest you can go?”
1 1

116 posts in this topic

If something is priced well, I don't bother negotiating, as has been mentioned. If someone is selling like that, then I'm not gonna make myself look like a b-hole by trying to steal it from them when they're being very fair themselves.

When Batman: Damned was going for $60+ on eBay, and a listing popped up for $40 OBO, I just bought it.

Fairness should earn fairness.

25 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If something is priced well, I don't bother negotiating, as has been mentioned. If someone is selling like that, then I'm not gonna make myself look like a b-hole by trying to steal it from them when they're being very fair themselves.

When Batman: Damned was going for $60+ on eBay, and a listing popped up for $40 OBO, I just bought it.

Fairness should earn fairness.

That’s the way I look at it. A great deal is a gift. Take it and say thanks. I have paid full price many times when the Gods smile down on me. 

4 hours ago, blazingbob said:

You left off 

Me:  I'm kind of looking for an appraisal in case I priced it too low which is why I'm asking what your offer is.  

Pro:  It is your item,  if it were mine I would be the one pricing it.  

More competent pro:
"how much you want for this?"
-then take it from there.

Sometimes pros pro themselves right out of great deals due to greed.  I know one pro gave $75 for an $800 comic.  Guy took some books to another store where the owner was honest.   Brought in rest of collection and store owner said honestly I cant afford these-they are worth about $200,000.  Best bet is find a dealer.  The guy Sold entire collection for VERY cheap to the store owner-he just wanted to get a decent price and not get lied to.

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

That’s the way I look at it. A great deal is a gift. Take it and say thanks. I have paid full price many times when the Gods smile down on me. 

I believe there really is karma in this world,  and honesty is a great barometer. 

Guys that treat me well as a buyer I will go to religiously , guys that dont well....

This is from a buyer's perspective.  I literally know nothing about selling.

6 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I believe there really is karma in this world,  and honesty is a great barometer. 

Guys that treat me well as a buyer I will go to religiously , guys that dont well....

This is from a buyer's perspective.  I literally know nothing about selling.

But-how do you know how to make money on comics then-

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

hm  Caps? 

Ol Justy learned from you how to make money on comics-you send him free slabs, he sells em!  

If I am in a haggling type situation (live - not through the internet) and I see something priced a bit higher than I think is right, I will ask to take a look at the item, examine it, even compliment it if the item deserves it. I then go to hand it back to the person and at that point, it is up to them to offer any type of discount they can to get a sale. I won't beg for it or even insinuate it. I might say something like "this is very nice but a little bit more than I want to spend on this item". If they are a motivated seller and throw out a better price, I am more likely to say-- "hmm-- yeah, that works."

I don't want to haggle so much as feel out if the seller is willing to come down some on their own. At the very least, I get a chance to inspect the item more thoroughly. I try not to point out things that are wrong - as that might offend the seller. I hope that doesn't sound like I am playing games with sellers. It is just my process, kind of similar to @oakman29 . This technique is not limited to collector items. On the other hand-- if something is a bargain to me, I just buy it.

Edited by 01TheDude

“Pointing out the faults” is the oldest trick in the book. As if the seller doesn’t know it? I would tell you the price reflects the condition and if you want to do that dance. I would ask you what it would go for in better condition? 

If we are reasonably close, make me a fair realistic offer. You will probably get it with out the stupid “condition dance”. 

If you don’t like the price, the ball is in your court. The only time I might even consider shooting myself in the foot, is if I can live without the book or it isn’t a high demand book. But of course every pulls this with the “good stuff” or “keys”. That stuff I am more than willing to wait on. 

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

“Pointing out the faults” is the oldest trick in the book. As if the seller doesn’t know it? I would tell you the price reflects the condition and if you want to do that dance. I would ask you what it would go for in better condition? 

If we are reasonably close, make me a fair realistic offer. You will probably get it with out the stupid “condition dance”. 

If you don’t like the price, the ball is in your court. The only time I might even consider shooting myself in the foot, is if I can live without the book or it isn’t a high demand book. But of course every pulls this with the “good stuff” or “keys”. That stuff I am more than willing to wait on. 

"It has 5 spine tics, a small tear on top and a loose lower staple"
"Yes that is why it is $300 rather than $700"

On 9/10/2019 at 9:19 AM, blazingbob said:

There are a lot of different scenario's for a response to this question

1).  Is the buyer an upgrader?  I normally know this and frankly my discounts reflect that.  

2).  Long term collector/customer of mine.  Really depends on the size of the purchase,  how they pay.  CC/paypal is another 3% off on top of the discount.  If I can work with them I will.  

3).  The Stack guy who feels more deserves a bigger discount.  What you call a stack and my expectation of a stack are VERY different.  $100-$300 of my high grade isn't floating my boat for the bigger discount.  

4).  Another dealer.  Your discount from me will frankly reflect the type of discount I get from you when I'm buying.  If you are giving me a low discount don't come over asking for 20% off.  Works both ways.

5).  The "Do you wanna move it" guy.  I "wanna move all my books" if the offer is fair.  I don't wanna "move em" if you want to buy them for 1/2 of what I paid for them.

6).  The OSPG buyer with the guide in his hand.  I am not really pricing way over guide on raw unless it is a key or movie book so I'm not exactly sure when this type of buyer comes to the booth what they are "expecting" pricing/discount wise.  Some snap the book shut before even talking.  Some are willing to talk,  others seem ok with my pricing/discount.  If I have a book graded NM and the OSPG buyer is quoting 9.2 I need some interaction on what he/she thinks the price should be.

7).  The GPA CGC buyer.  Again,  expectations of what the buyer is expecting goes a long way with "how low will I go".  If I have room and the deal is fair we get it done.  If you want to play games with 90, 1 year or last sale to get to "your" number we may have a problem.  If you are open to more data from me then just GPA then a deal might be done.  If we exhausted all avenues of negotiation that GPA buyer can always buy it from the GPA store.  

#7  Classic

9 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Aw that's nuthin I can go WAY lower.:bigsmile:

images.png

First you do the Limbo Rock
Then you snag the first Doc Ock!