• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“What’s the lowest you can go?”
1 1

116 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I get “what is your best price?” a lot. I usually reply “what is your best offer?”. I figure, I’ve already shown my card and now it’s your turn. You are the one who has the problem with my price, not me. I also get the question “can you do better?” My reply is usually “yes”.

The real grinder for me is “what is the lowest you will do?”. If I really want to sell it I might reply with my lowest price. Then you get the “OK, will you do...?” That usually shuts my door and I go on ignore. 

The whiners, REALLY shut me down. 

Another one is the people who point out the flaws for a deal. I usually tell them the price reflects it. If they are persistent, I might ask them why they would want it if they don’t like the condition?

I’ve been doing this a long time. I have probably seen and heard it all...

Can't blame them for trying, but it just seems they ought to make a $ offer first. We're mostly sellers and buyers here. We want a deal. I'm not offended when someone tries to get one. Just don't get nasty if I say no. Now and then a wackadoodle on eBay tries to bully his way in. I had a guy doing that when I sold comics on my wife's account. He thought he coukd be a tough guy and bully a woman. A hole. With that said my wife is half Sicilian. Not gonna happen. I pity the fool...

Edited by the blob

48 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I get “what is your best price?” a lot. I usually reply “what is your best offer?”. I figure, I’ve already shown my card and now it’s your turn. You are the one who has the problem with my price, not me. I also get the question “can you do better?” My reply is usually “yes”.

The real grinder for me is “what is the lowest you will do?”. If I really want to sell it I might reply with my lowest price. Then you get the “OK, will you do...?” That usually shuts my door and I go on ignore. 

The whiners, REALLY shut me down. 

Another one is the people who point out the flaws for a deal. I usually tell them the price reflects it. If they are persistent, I might ask them why they would want it if they don’t like the condition?

I’ve been doing this a long time. I have probably seen and heard it all...

"Your Superman #1 is in okay condition, but since it'll be a toilet reader for me, can you give me a better price?"

Haven't had any eBay insufficiently_thoughtful_persons ask this in a while, but I think I'll use this response next time (not based on a true story fyi) -- "How low can I go?  Well when I was 12 I once swiped $10 from my grandma's purse so that I could go buy a bunch of smoke bombs.  What's really sad is grandma probably would've just given me the cash had I just asked.  Still ashamed of myself for that to this day.  Oh, you meant the price on my book?  GTFOH with that question."

5 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Haven't had any eBay insufficiently_thoughtful_persons ask this in a while, but I think I'll use this response next time (not based on a true story fyi) -- "How low can I go?  Well when I was 12 I once swiped $10 from my grandma's purse so that I could go buy a bunch of smoke bombs.  What's really sad is grandma probably would've just given me the cash had I just asked.  Still ashamed of myself for that to this day.  Oh, you meant the price on my book?  GTFOH with that question."

Reminds me of the MFer Jones story from Horrible Bosses.

I just listed an item this morning, and less than an hour later got the "what's your lowest?" message. I no longer have amusing answers to these messages. I told them that the item had only been up for a few minutes, so at the moment i wasn't looking to lower my price too much, but feel free to make an offer. At which point they said "Well, I just sent that because the listing says you take "Best Offer"," to which I replied "YES, the "Best Offer" is the feature that allows you to make an offer. So feel free to use it."

I feel like this happens several times a week. I guess I need to set a threshold so the nutjobs will get an auto-decline and I won't have to reply to the lowballs, but these messages aren't even offers, they're just messages!

IQ's have definitely been dropping across the board.

maybe reply with another worn out cliche: "this book is RARE.  CGC it"  If its already slabbed use "Perfect pressing candidate".