• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT ARE THE HIGHEST CONFIRMED 3 GA SALES FOR 2019
1 1

42 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Was there a recent Cap 1 equivalent sold recently ? 

Apples to Apples:

A 7.0 Batman 1 sold for $334K in February 2018 and over a year later a 7.0 CA 1s sold on CC for $234K in March of this year and even less on Heritage in May for $228K.  That's a +$100K to the Batman 1.

No 8.0 CA 1 has sold for more than $288K at auction (in 2016 on CC) and that same year a 8.0 Batman 1 sold for $390K also on CC.  That was +$112K to the Batman 1 back in 2016, and now that margin has grown to +$210K to Batman.  I'm sure the CA 1 would go for a higher price now, but I see no reason to think it makes up any ground.

I am certainly glad somebody here is keeping track of these big sale items and relative price movements for us because it sure saves us a lot of unnecessary time digging around for this information.  (thumbsu

Especially since it gives the rest of us a lot more free time to speculate and pontificate on the boards here.  lol

5 hours ago, N e r V said:

I still like Cap #1 in the long run for value. 

You might be right, and I hope you are, but we truly do not yet know how intertwined the Cap popularity is with actor Chris Evans. Batman has withstood all sorts of questionable leads (Michael Keaton??!!) and managed to maintain his popularity. I think they jury is still out on Caps cinematic future, and by consequence, his future in the hearts of younger potential collectors 

10 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

You might be right, and I hope you are, but we truly do not yet know how intertwined the Cap popularity is with actor Chris Evans. Batman has withstood all sorts of questionable leads (Michael Keaton??!!) and managed to maintain his popularity. I think they jury is still out on Caps cinematic future, and by consequence, his future in the hearts of younger potential collectors 

Congrats Mr. White on your 1,000 post btw !  My feelings are that Cap’s popularity in conjunction with Chris Evans portrayal will bleed into the writers of this mag for years to come this helping raise the value of the one that started it all.  

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Cap #1s recent sales history is very much in step with Evans & Marvel's current movie popularity & the current collector market perception is that the #1 GA Marvel to own is no longer MM #1 but Cap #1 and I think it will retain that position for years to come regardless of the movies. However, that being said Batman #1 is just so damn iconic from the stunning cover to the insane amount of significant historic content it's got everything you would want in a comic! At this point Joker is as popular as Batman & is without question the #1 baddie in all of comicdom. The early Kane,Finger & Robinson era work ( Joker is just so wicked cool) is still very relevant to the characters modern interpretation & arguably has stood the test of time better than any other Golden Age character . So I understand why Batman #1 keeps breaking records & IMHO will continue to do so. (even if its not all that rare).

Edited by Frank Mozz

36 minutes ago, Frank Mozz said:

Cap #1s recent sales history is very much in step with Evans & Marvel's current movie popularity & the current collector market perception is that the #1 GA Marvel to own is no longer MM #1 but Cap #1 and I think it will retain that position for years to come regardless of the movies

I don’t disagree, but I don’t have a pair big enough to say so on these boards.  This comment might fly under the radar, but . . .:gossip: . . . Best batten down the hatches and brace for severe blowback

2 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

the current collector market perception is that the #1 GA Marvel to own is no longer MM #1 but Cap #1 

That may be what current collectors think, but I think that amongst GA collectors it is still a hotly debated topic with no clear winner when debated here.  

Personally, I think MC 1 is the much cooler, more historically important, rarer, and desirable book.   

6 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Personally, I think MC 1 is the much cooler, more historically important, rarer, and desirable book.   

I find this current debate between Cap 1 and Marvel Comics 1 to be rather similar in a way to the longer term debate that's taken place over the years between Action 1 and 'Tec 27.  :slapfight:

I also believe the longer term older generation of collectors have always tended to go with Action 1 and MC 1, while the younger generation tends to side more with Cap 1 and 'Tec 27.  hm

Edited by lou_fine