• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ghost Rider #1 1990 2nd print

9 posts in this topic

Ghost Rider #15 (first printing) was #48 overall for the year of 1991.

https://comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1991.html

That's probably a half-million copies. 

Ghost Rider #15 (second printing) isn't on the list, but New Mutants #87 second printing made the 1991 overall list at #77 and X-Force #1 second printing made the list at #91.  I'd be surprised if Marvel was bothering to do a second printing at all if it was going to be less than 100,000 copies (back then).

The CGC census for Ghost Rider #15 is about 500 copies graded for the first printing and 120 copies graded for the second printing.  If 500,000 is (approximately) correct for the print run of the first printing, then 100,000 to 120,000 probably isn't far off for second printing. If the values were significantly different, this type of calculation wouldn't work, but Ghost Rider #15 seems to be worth about the same amount for both printings for most of the years that CGC has existed. So, there's basically equal dollar-reasons to submit to CGC and the difference (in this case) in the CGC census is most likely related to the difference in the actual printed/surviving numbers instead of the difference in dollars.

EDIT:  I thought the topic was about Ghost Rider #15.  Since it's about Ghost Rider #1, here's my official response:

I don't know.

Edited by valiantman

2 minutes ago, Spideyham said:

Might be a lot lower.  The first issue 2nd printings are rarely offered for sale on ebay

It's "anecdotal", but I've often seen both the first and second printings of #15 with multiple copies in the dollar boxes at local conventions (even 25 years later).  If 500,000 is correct for first printing, I would be extremely surprised if the second printing is under 100,000.

Edited by valiantman

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It's "anecdotal", but I've often seen both the first and second printings of #15 with multiple copies in the dollar boxes at local conventions (even 25 years later).  If 500,000 is correct for first printing, I would be extremely surprised if the second printing is under 100,000.

Ok thanks

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Why do you keep talking about #15? 

:baiting:

36 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:
2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Why do you keep talking about #15? 

:baiting:

Ha!  I guess because I misread the topic. lol

:tonofbricks:

2nd printings of 15 are uncommon compared to the first print, but still, there are a ton of them. Harder to find are the newsstands of 15. I've got stacks of the 1st printing, and several 2nd. I've got maybe 3 or 4 newsstands, and I've been digging them out of dollar boxes for years, picking up every copy i've ever found in nice shape for a buck or less

HOWEVER, we're talking about second printing of #1, and to that I can say that my experience is that it is certainly uncommon relative to the first print, but not particularly rare or valuable. On the occasion that you find one, in nice shape I'd say it's a $10-$15 book, maybe more if it's really sharp. I think it's cool regardless. I have zero print run info, just anecdotal info from digging these out of bins.