• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did this get a 9.8? (Infinity Gauntlet #1, 3x signed and sketch)

17 posts in this topic

I've been wanting to get my hand on one of these for awhile. It looks like many Infinity Gauntlet #1s were signed/sketched (Thanos sketch by Starlin) on the same date like this. However, it looks like my label might have been swapped? I say this because the top-left corner of the comic looks a bit flawed. I'm wondering if this can actually be a 9.8 or if I was scammed... Honestly, I could care less, but I don't want to have paid for a 9.8 to get something less, if that makes any sense. I'm just hoping the grader had a good day, or I'm just bad at judging grades.

248643859_yb3i14GSHGyahDLKwnWcA_thumb_1d1c.jpg.06ccc6f5774d6ec2f0a33d799ab500cd.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d1b.thumb.jpg.d34deb3367d0cb536e6f92e43df275ac.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d19.thumb.jpg.06e42b66b42fa0342366c9d3e3d402cf.jpgZ5n9JQcNRKWuvGzcu74ZPg_thumb_1d16.jpg.378cb55205af867ac0a3b2fb36bcde74.jpg

757411027_s2x8ELn3QBq0Zv2ltv6og_thumb_1d1a.jpg.854ae024281761dc9a944d5eff54fc1f.jpg

I agree that the comic shouldn't be graded 9.8.  But the corner damage could have happened after the book was graded, for example from shaken comic syndrome during shipping or transit from where it was signed.

Edited by namisgr

Shoot, I've had books busted down to 9.2 or 9.0 for practically imperceptible flaws, never mind blatant ones like that. I don't see how that possibly scored a 9.8 either. Either you got an extremely generous grader or, not to accuse CGC of anything untoward, the corner scuffing happened after it was graded either during encapsulation or shipping.

This is the first time I've heard of label swapping. Is that really a thing?

I can totally see this still getting a 9.8 based on the numerous books I've gotten back with what appear to be similar flaws (It looks like a bindery chip of which CGC seems to forgive).  I don't see any signs of SCS and it doesn't look like it's possible for the top left corner to hit anything while encapsulated (at least in that slab) - the SCS I see occurs more at the staples than anywhere.  That being said, if I owned that same book raw I'd be hesitant to submit it as a 9.8 for the same 'chip' I referenced...I'm just basing it on what I've seen on many I've gotten back myself.  To the OP - Is it not a crunch but instead a tiny tear (like a bindery chip)?  it looks like a chip on the top and bottom corners of the spine...with this being a black cover you see these much better and they stand out more, unfortunately.  Just my 2c as I appear to be in the minority of this opinion already lol 

13 minutes ago, Cman429 said:

This is the first time I've heard of label swapping. Is that really a thing?

Not really. It's more of a conspiracy theory than anything. 

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

It's a bindery tear. Regardless of what anybody else thinks of them, it's unlikely that they will cause CGC to downgrade a comic that's not otherwise a 9.9 or 10.

Fairly common on thicker books (for example, very common in ASM #800).  CGC seems to be a little more forgiving for bindery tears if it's a common enough flaw as a result of production.

6 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

will cause CGC to downgrade a comic that's not otherwise a 9.9 or 10

CGC gives out those? Only halfway joking as I've seen pretty much perfect books get a 9.8. I really don't get how a few can get > 9.8 and not others. That said, I think you were very fortunate to get a 9.8 on this one. Much more common for CGC to undergrade than to overgrade.

16 hours ago, SteviaComics said:

I've been wanting to get my hand on one of these for awhile. It looks like many Infinity Gauntlet #1s were signed/sketched (Thanos sketch by Starlin) on the same date like this. However, it looks like my label might have been swapped? I say this because the top-left corner of the comic looks a bit flawed. I'm wondering if this can actually be a 9.8 or if I was scammed... Honestly, I could care less, but I don't want to have paid for a 9.8 to get something less, if that makes any sense. I'm just hoping the grader had a good day, or I'm just bad at judging grades.

Could you? Or could you not?

Asking for a friend.