• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art of Dungeons & Dragons documentary on Amazon Prime.

28 posts in this topic

Yeah, but what happens when that Uber-collector kicks it?

Floodgates open. How much nostalgia left for the material by that time? 

Will Batman Fan give up the P-nutz and take on the mantle of Owlbear Fan?

How many Facebook groups will be created and start posting threads here in the Comic Original Art board?

Will Gene talk down the long term prospects of the D&D art market, while secretly cherry picking the crowd jewels clean, like a 10th level Rogue?

Tune in when that guy croaks, and we all find out...

Someone has the D&D Art book, right? If so, they authors/editors must have obtained permission from this big collector to publish the OA images, and he or she possibly was acknowledged in the book? https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/22/18001762/dungeons-and-dragons-art-arcana-visual-history-book-review-excerpt

Edited by PhilipB2k17

5 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Someone has the D&D Art book, right? If so, they authors/editors must have obtained permission from this big collector to publish the OA images, and he or she possibly was acknowledged in the book? https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/22/18001762/dungeons-and-dragons-art-arcana-visual-history-book-review-excerpt

Its not a huge secret if I know about it. His name is known. His employer is known. I just don't think he is active online, for good reasons I suppose. I understand he did allow art he owns to be included in both the book and documentary, but I don't think he has ever been interviewed. My sense is the guy is too busy making a living. And I understand he is a very nice guy just very deep pocketed.  

Edited by cstojano

4 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Yeah, but what happens when that Uber-collector kicks it?

Floodgates open. How much nostalgia left for the material by that time? 

Will Batman Fan give up the P-nutz and take on the mantle of Owlbear Fan?

How many Facebook groups will be created and start posting threads here in the Comic Original Art board?

Will Gene talk down the long term prospects of the D&D art market, while secretly cherry picking the crowd jewels clean, like a 10th level Rogue?

Tune in when that guy croaks, and we all find out...

Supposedly his piece count is in the 5 figures. The other Art of TSR thread on here suggested a museum may be in the planning, though I don't know if that was wishful thinking or real talk. Regardless, there is almost no market for this stuff now due to no supply. Its hard to maintain interest in a hobby you really can't participate in. 

On 9/10/2019 at 8:15 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Eye-Beholder-Art-Dungeons-Dragons/dp/B07Q334KBS

Nice doc. Even had the obligatory “holy ! They almost threw away the original painting for the cover of the Players Handbook!” 

Thank you for posting that.  I watched it last night with my son.  He is just becoming interested in D&D.

Just finished it tonight, god it brings back memories. I loved the artwork.

Its funny, i actually meet my wife 21 years ago via a DD group I played in for years. Seeing that documentary really gave me a push to acquire at least one really great painted TSR piece.

Edited by zhamlau