Streaming service wars news and trends
0

13 posts in this topic

81,674 posts
Quote

HBO NOW - $14.99

The biggest heavyweight on this list, HBO NOW comes in at a whopping $14.99 a month price tag for its basic a la carte package. With the Warner-owned service, there are a few bundling options, such as adding it to an existing cable subscription or Amazon Prime Video account, which is bound to save you a buck or two. It's expected HBO NOW will eventually merge into WarnerMedia's upcoming streaming platform HBO MAX, which will include a vast library of Warner content plus HBO streaming.

Quote

YOUTUBE PREMIUM - $12

What used to be YouTube Red is now YouTube Premium, a potential streaming contender from Google. At $12 per month, many users might be turned off because of the lack of much original programming — especially when considered to giants like Netflix or Hulu. In addition to its flagship Cobra Kai, which is critically-acclaimed season after season, subscribers also get other perks such as ad-free YouTube videos and playing music with the YouTube app minimized on your phone.

Quote

HULU - $11.99

Probably the biggest competition to Netflix on this list, Hulu has a growing list of original content in addition to the licensed properties it carries. Unlike Netflix, which adds licensed shows by the season after its all ended, Hulu has an advantage in that it gets to upload new episodes that day after they air live. Hulu's ad-free option is $11.99 per month, though the company has a cheaper ad-supported option for just $5.99 a month.

Quote

CBS ALL ACCESS - $9.99

Featuring the likes of Star Trek: Discovery and Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone reboot, CBS All Access' ad-free option is $9.99/month after a one week trial. Like Hulu, the service does offer an ad-supported option for $5.99 per month.

Quote

AMAZON PRIME - $8.99

Another major player in the world of streaming video is Amazon with its Prime Video offering. It wasn't all too long ago where you had to subscribe to the entire Prime service for an annual charge of $100 to take advantage of Prime Video. Now, the Jeff Bezos-led company offers an a la carte Prime Video option for $8.99 per month.

Quote

NETFLIX - $8.99

The company that started it all, Netflix has since switched to three different packages with it's cheapest "Basic" package starting at just $8.99. The problem there — Basic only streams Standard Definition programming on one screen at a time. To get HD, you'll have to upgrade to "Standard," which also gives you the chance to stream on 2 screens at once. If you're a cinephile, you'll want to sign up for Netflix's "Premium" package, which includes streaming of 4K UHD content on four screens at once. For new users, all three packages come with a free one-month trial.

Quote

STARZ - $8.99

Much like fellow premium network HBO, Starz has a standalone streaming platform available for $8.99 — or, you can add to some other bundles (like Prime Video) for a slight discount.

Quote

CRUNCHYROLL - $7.99

Another fan-favorite anime service, Crunchyroll offers one package for $7.99 per month. If you're dedicated enough to the service, you can sign up for longer periods to get bigger discounts. The three-month option costs $22.99 ($7.66/mo) while the annual subscription is $79.99 ($6.66/mo).

Quote

DISNEY+ - $6.99

The long-awaited service from The Walt Disney Company hits November 12th for just $6.99 per month. As previously announced, the package will also be bundled with an ad-supported version of Hulu and ESPN+ for $12.99 monthly.

Quote

FUNIMATION - $5.99

The go-to platform for most anime fans, Funimation's ad-free experience starts at just $5.99 per month for a two-screen package. For just two dollars more ($7.99), users get five total streams and a whole host of goodies like offline viewing. If you're loyal to the platform, you can sign up for Funimation's "Premium Plus Ultra" package for $99.99 per year, which includes every single offering the outfit offers.

Quote

SHUDDER - $5.99

The lone horror-based platform on this list costs just $5.99 per month, or $56.99 ($4.75) if you subscribe annually. As with most other items on this list, it comes out with a free one week trial.

Quote

APPLE TV+ - $4.99

The newest addition to this list comes from the Cupertino-based Apple and despite coming from the expensive brand, it's also the cheapest on the list. Beginning November 1st, consumers can sign up for the service at just $4.99 per month — an amount that surprises most of us.

Wow! Talk about the market blowing up. And this doesn't even include DC Universe ($7.99/month).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,166 posts
56 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

a cheaper ad-supported option for just $5.99 a month.

I have been getting this version of Hula  for .99 cents a month since Black Friday. I found out about it on Slick Deals last year. If that deal comes up again this year I will give you guys a shout about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,166 posts
59 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

DISNEY+ - $6.99

The long-awaited service from The Walt Disney Company hits November 12th for just $6.99 per month. As previously announced, the package will also be bundled with an ad-supported version of Hulu and ESPN+ for $12.99 monthly.

That will be my main one going forward. Love Disney and sports so a no-brainer.

I kind of lost interest in Netflix, and I barely watch Amazon Prime. I will keep Amazon Prime for the shipping though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
81,674 posts
3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That will be my main one going forward. Love Disney and sports so a no-brainer.

I kind of lost interest in Netflix, and I barely watch Amazon Prime. I will keep Amazon Prime for the shipping though.

It really is going to come down to picking your battles over time who has enough of the content you appreciate to make the commitment.

Netflix, HBO Max and Disney+ will probably be part of the heavy-hitter class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,430 posts
3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It really is going to come down to picking your battles over time who has enough of the content you appreciate to make the commitment.

Netflix, HBO Max and Disney+ will probably be part of the heavy-hitter class.

Most of us get Prime for basically free since we have Amazon Prime for the shipping so this is a gimmie.  With Prime, Netflix, Disney+ (ESPN & Hulu) you get the best of all worlds and it cost about $25 a month.  When you consider the old cost of cable you can get a huge tv package for $25 a month.  I had HBO for a bit for Game of Thrones but dropped it since there was just not enough movies I wanted to see.  I'm on the fence with Apple but it will really come down to them getting a couple original shows everyone will want to see and go from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
81,674 posts
11 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Most of us get Prime for basically free since we have Amazon Prime for the shipping so this is a gimmie.  With Prime, Netflix, Disney+ (ESPN & Hulu) you get the best of all worlds and it cost about $25 a month.  When you consider the old cost of cable you can get a huge tv package for $25 a month.  I had HBO for a bit for Game of Thrones but dropped it since there was just not enough movies I wanted to see.  I'm on the fence with Apple but it will really come down to them getting a couple original shows everyone will want to see and go from there.

Very good point. And especially for those that locked in that sweet Disney+ 3-year deal, even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,166 posts
33 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I had HBO for a bit for Game of Thrones but dropped it since there was just not enough movies I wanted to see

Same with me. What I do with HBO is just sign up for a month and watch what I just want to see. Cancel than rinse and repeat for the next time. Most likely will sign up again. Watch Watchmen than cancel it until the next time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,430 posts
53 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Same with me. What I do with HBO is just sign up for a month and watch what I just want to see. Cancel than rinse and repeat for the next time. Most likely will sign up again. Watch Watchmen than cancel it until the next time.

 

I loved Ballers and Silicon Valley so I'll probably be back when new seasons come out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
81,674 posts
37 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I loved Ballers and Silicon Valley so I'll probably be back when new seasons come out.

Both are good. But the latter is very much appreciate. I worked with so many folks like this as part of internet start-ups, with BIG IDEAS that were going to change the world. (:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,071 posts

I love all the older flicks and B-movies on Prime and I basically get that for free since I live off amazon and all the free 2-day deliveries have paid for the yearly membership many many times over.

I get Netflix for free as well as it’s included in my T-Mobile Military plan. Never heard of Shudder listed above, will have to look into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,207 posts
On 9/11/2019 at 9:13 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Same with me. What I do with HBO is just sign up for a month and watch what I just want to see. Cancel than rinse and repeat for the next time. Most likely will sign up again. Watch Watchmen than cancel it until the next time.

 

Barry is pretty good. Even has the Fonz.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,207 posts
On 9/11/2019 at 4:25 AM, Bosco685 said:
 

HBO NOW - $14.99

The biggest heavyweight on this list, HBO NOW comes in at a whopping $14.99 a month price tag for its basic a la carte package. With the Warner-owned service, there are a few bundling options, such as adding it to an existing cable subscription or Amazon Prime Video account, which is bound to save you a buck or two. It's expected HBO NOW will eventually merge into WarnerMedia's upcoming streaming platform HBO MAX, which will include a vast library of Warner content plus HBO streaming.

How does this work?

How do that?

I like money.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0