• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Streaming service wars news and trends
4 4

523 posts in this topic

HBO NOW - $14.99

The biggest heavyweight on this list, HBO NOW comes in at a whopping $14.99 a month price tag for its basic a la carte package. With the Warner-owned service, there are a few bundling options, such as adding it to an existing cable subscription or Amazon Prime Video account, which is bound to save you a buck or two. It's expected HBO NOW will eventually merge into WarnerMedia's upcoming streaming platform HBO MAX, which will include a vast library of Warner content plus HBO streaming.

YOUTUBE PREMIUM - $12

What used to be YouTube Red is now YouTube Premium, a potential streaming contender from Google. At $12 per month, many users might be turned off because of the lack of much original programming — especially when considered to giants like Netflix or Hulu. In addition to its flagship Cobra Kai, which is critically-acclaimed season after season, subscribers also get other perks such as ad-free YouTube videos and playing music with the YouTube app minimized on your phone.

HULU - $11.99

Probably the biggest competition to Netflix on this list, Hulu has a growing list of original content in addition to the licensed properties it carries. Unlike Netflix, which adds licensed shows by the season after its all ended, Hulu has an advantage in that it gets to upload new episodes that day after they air live. Hulu's ad-free option is $11.99 per month, though the company has a cheaper ad-supported option for just $5.99 a month.

CBS ALL ACCESS - $9.99

Featuring the likes of Star Trek: Discovery and Jordan Peele's Twilight Zone reboot, CBS All Access' ad-free option is $9.99/month after a one week trial. Like Hulu, the service does offer an ad-supported option for $5.99 per month.

AMAZON PRIME - $8.99

Another major player in the world of streaming video is Amazon with its Prime Video offering. It wasn't all too long ago where you had to subscribe to the entire Prime service for an annual charge of $100 to take advantage of Prime Video. Now, the Jeff Bezos-led company offers an a la carte Prime Video option for $8.99 per month.

NETFLIX - $8.99

The company that started it all, Netflix has since switched to three different packages with it's cheapest "Basic" package starting at just $8.99. The problem there — Basic only streams Standard Definition programming on one screen at a time. To get HD, you'll have to upgrade to "Standard," which also gives you the chance to stream on 2 screens at once. If you're a cinephile, you'll want to sign up for Netflix's "Premium" package, which includes streaming of 4K UHD content on four screens at once. For new users, all three packages come with a free one-month trial.

STARZ - $8.99

Much like fellow premium network HBO, Starz has a standalone streaming platform available for $8.99 — or, you can add to some other bundles (like Prime Video) for a slight discount.

CRUNCHYROLL - $7.99

Another fan-favorite anime service, Crunchyroll offers one package for $7.99 per month. If you're dedicated enough to the service, you can sign up for longer periods to get bigger discounts. The three-month option costs $22.99 ($7.66/mo) while the annual subscription is $79.99 ($6.66/mo).

DISNEY+ - $6.99

The long-awaited service from The Walt Disney Company hits November 12th for just $6.99 per month. As previously announced, the package will also be bundled with an ad-supported version of Hulu and ESPN+ for $12.99 monthly.

FUNIMATION - $5.99

The go-to platform for most anime fans, Funimation's ad-free experience starts at just $5.99 per month for a two-screen package. For just two dollars more ($7.99), users get five total streams and a whole host of goodies like offline viewing. If you're loyal to the platform, you can sign up for Funimation's "Premium Plus Ultra" package for $99.99 per year, which includes every single offering the outfit offers.

SHUDDER - $5.99

The lone horror-based platform on this list costs just $5.99 per month, or $56.99 ($4.75) if you subscribe annually. As with most other items on this list, it comes out with a free one week trial.

APPLE TV+ - $4.99

The newest addition to this list comes from the Cupertino-based Apple and despite coming from the expensive brand, it's also the cheapest on the list. Beginning November 1st, consumers can sign up for the service at just $4.99 per month — an amount that surprises most of us.

Wow! Talk about the market blowing up. And this doesn't even include DC Universe ($7.99/month).

56 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

a cheaper ad-supported option for just $5.99 a month.

I have been getting this version of Hula  for .99 cents a month since Black Friday. I found out about it on Slick Deals last year. If that deal comes up again this year I will give you guys a shout about it.

59 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

DISNEY+ - $6.99

The long-awaited service from The Walt Disney Company hits November 12th for just $6.99 per month. As previously announced, the package will also be bundled with an ad-supported version of Hulu and ESPN+ for $12.99 monthly.

That will be my main one going forward. Love Disney and sports so a no-brainer.

I kind of lost interest in Netflix, and I barely watch Amazon Prime. I will keep Amazon Prime for the shipping though.

3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That will be my main one going forward. Love Disney and sports so a no-brainer.

I kind of lost interest in Netflix, and I barely watch Amazon Prime. I will keep Amazon Prime for the shipping though.

It really is going to come down to picking your battles over time who has enough of the content you appreciate to make the commitment.

Netflix, HBO Max and Disney+ will probably be part of the heavy-hitter class.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It really is going to come down to picking your battles over time who has enough of the content you appreciate to make the commitment.

Netflix, HBO Max and Disney+ will probably be part of the heavy-hitter class.

Most of us get Prime for basically free since we have Amazon Prime for the shipping so this is a gimmie.  With Prime, Netflix, Disney+ (ESPN & Hulu) you get the best of all worlds and it cost about $25 a month.  When you consider the old cost of cable you can get a huge tv package for $25 a month.  I had HBO for a bit for Game of Thrones but dropped it since there was just not enough movies I wanted to see.  I'm on the fence with Apple but it will really come down to them getting a couple original shows everyone will want to see and go from there.

11 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Most of us get Prime for basically free since we have Amazon Prime for the shipping so this is a gimmie.  With Prime, Netflix, Disney+ (ESPN & Hulu) you get the best of all worlds and it cost about $25 a month.  When you consider the old cost of cable you can get a huge tv package for $25 a month.  I had HBO for a bit for Game of Thrones but dropped it since there was just not enough movies I wanted to see.  I'm on the fence with Apple but it will really come down to them getting a couple original shows everyone will want to see and go from there.

Very good point. And especially for those that locked in that sweet Disney+ 3-year deal, even better.

33 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I had HBO for a bit for Game of Thrones but dropped it since there was just not enough movies I wanted to see

Same with me. What I do with HBO is just sign up for a month and watch what I just want to see. Cancel than rinse and repeat for the next time. Most likely will sign up again. Watch Watchmen than cancel it until the next time.

53 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Same with me. What I do with HBO is just sign up for a month and watch what I just want to see. Cancel than rinse and repeat for the next time. Most likely will sign up again. Watch Watchmen than cancel it until the next time.

I loved Ballers and Silicon Valley so I'll probably be back when new seasons come out.

37 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I loved Ballers and Silicon Valley so I'll probably be back when new seasons come out.

Both are good. But the latter is very much appreciate. I worked with so many folks like this as part of internet start-ups, with BIG IDEAS that were going to change the world. (:

On 9/11/2019 at 9:13 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Barry is pretty good. Even has the Fonz.

On 9/11/2019 at 4:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

HBO NOW - $14.99

The biggest heavyweight on this list, HBO NOW comes in at a whopping $14.99 a month price tag for its basic a la carte package. With the Warner-owned service, there are a few bundling options, such as adding it to an existing cable subscription or Amazon Prime Video account, which is bound to save you a buck or two. It's expected HBO NOW will eventually merge into WarnerMedia's upcoming streaming platform HBO MAX, which will include a vast library of Warner content plus HBO streaming.

How does this work?

How do that?

I like money.

THANK GOODNESS! Yet another streaming service. :insane:

The great streaming race is far from over. The highly-anticipated Disney+ launches in just under two months and WarnerMedia's HBO Max is arriving in Spring 2020, bolstered by the recent acquisitions of The Big Bang Theory and Friends. NBCUniversal has teased plans for its exclusive streaming service for some time and, until today, all that anyone has really known about the new service is that it will become the exclusive streaming home to The Office, taking the rights to the series from Netflix. On Tuesday morning, NBCUniversal finally peeled back the curtain on the new service, announcing both its name and launch window.

NBC's streaming service is going to be called Peacock, a nod to the iconic mascot of the NBC network. It will launch in April 2020 and contain more than 15,000 hours of content, including The Office and Parks and Recreation. Peacock will also be working on several original series, as well as reboots of Saved by the Bell and Battlestar Galactica.

In addition to The Office and Parks and Recreation, Peacock will be the streaming home of programs like 30 Rock, Bates Motel, Battlestar Galactica, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Cheers, Chrisley Knows Best, Covert Affairs, Downton Abbey, Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier, Friday Night Lights, House, Keeping Up With the Kardashians, King of Queens, Married ... With Children, Monk, Parenthood, Psych, Royal Pains, Saturday Night Live, Superstore, The Real Housewives, Top Chef, and Will & Grace.

"The name Peacock pays homage to the quality content that audiences have come to expect from NBCUniversal — whether it's culture-defining dramas from innovative creators like Sam Esmail, laugh-out-loud comedies from legends like Lorne Michaels and Mike Schur, blockbusters from Universal Pictures, or buzzy unscripted programming from the people who do it best at Bravo and E!,” said Bonnie Hammer, chairman of direct-to-consumer and digital enterprises. "Peacock will be the go-to place for both the timely and timeless — from can’t-miss Olympic moments and the 2020 election, to classic fan favorites like The Office."

I see a world where people will sign up for a month or two of a channel and watch all the shows on that station and then cancel after that time and then move on the the next channel.  There could be 20 channels but realistically you probably only need 1 or 2 at a time since how much tv can you really watch at once.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I see a world where people will sign up for a month or two of a channel and watch all the shows on that station and then cancel after that time and then move on the the next channel.  There could be 20 channels but realistically you probably only need 1 or 2 at a time since how much tv can you really watch at once.

National Public Radio did a special today how streaming services and their approach to release shows is changing viewing behavior and reactions to shows. Including when they take older shows that were never designed to be binge-dropped (Friends, Seinfeld, X-Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and viewers now used to seeing everything in one or two sittings are feeling disappointed. I guess with the older shows there wasn't a cliff-hanger at the end of each show which then made sense to jump immediately to the next episode.

I'll have to see if I can find the link to it. The review and assessment was quite interesting.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:55 AM, 1Cool said:

This is what I may end up doing more of.  Right now I share my Netflix account with 1 or 2 others.  Someone is sharing YouTube TV with me.  Got Amazon Prime, so I get that already.

Lot of it will come down to ordering/canceling, or sharing the cost of these services across many friends/family.  Which is why the # of streams at the same time is so important.  

I like the ability to binge a show when it comes out (Netflix / Amazon).  Not looking forward to having to wait a week for new episodes on Disney+.  

CW creating a new version of Seed to strengthen its streaming offer.

CW Seed to Launch Live Linear Channel

The CW’s content cousin, CW Seed, is getting a live linear streaming channel, on which original content will exist.

The CW’s content delivery strategy is about to get an upgrade in the streaming department, with the announcement of CW Seed Live.

In a content partnership with PeopleTV, The CW will unveil CW Seed Live, eyeing a launch for late fall, reports Deadline. It will manifest as an expanded, 24/7 live-streaming linear take on CW Seed, the 2014-launched à la carte streaming offshoot of the network, compatible on most devices, which houses a handful of original content mostly connected to the DC Arrowverse shows, along with random – often other-network – catalogue content.

CW Seed Live will be the home to some yet-to-be-announced original content, which, as the report teases, will range from documentary series to offerings in the supernatural genre. Additionally, like its platform cousin, Seed Live will not require a subscription, and will be viewable for free, though ad-supported.

Of course, you should also expect to see airings of existing CW Seed content, which consists of animated Arrowverse offerings like the recently-announced Deathstroke: Knights and Dragons, along with Vixen, Freedom Fighters: The Ray and Constantine: City of Demons. Plus, there is an eclectic mix of back catalogue shows (many of which originally aired on other networks) like NBC’s 2014 Constantine series (on which Matt Ryan first played the role) as well as Birds of Prey, Blade: The Series (yes, a Marvel property), forgotten genre offerings like Alcatraz, Ringer, Pushing Daisies, The Secret Circle and Moonlight, as well as non-genre stuff like Whose Line is it Anyway?, Everybody Hates Chris and Hellcats.

11 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I’m an iOS user that hates Apple and my first thought on the new service they are launching in a couple of weeks was that it didn’t have much to offer. But now Spielberg and Hanks are on board and set to add their next collaboration following Band of Brothers.

Very interesting. Sides are being drawn.

Oh Lord! Now theater chains want in on this fun.

Streaming video is all the rage with the likes of Netflix, Hulu, and soon Disney+ dominating the market. OTT offerings have become a major focal point for most entertainment companies and now, you can add AMC Theatres to the list of companies that have its own streaming platform. Announced Tuesday morning, AMC is rolling out AMC Theatres on Demand, a digital marketplace where users will be able to purchase and rent movies.

It should be noted AMC Theaters On Demand won't immediately be a subscription-based service like Netflix or Hulu. Rather, it will resemble the likes of Vudu or FandangoNOW. According to a press release distributed by the theatre chain, the platform will have 2,000 films available upon launch.

“The addition of AMC Theatres On Demand, which extends our movie offerings for AMC Stubs members into their homes, makes perfect sense for AMC Theatres, for our studio partners and for our millions of movie-loving guests,” said AMC chief exec Adam Aron in the statement. “With more than 20 million AMC Stubs households, and with our web site and smartphone apps already being visited hundreds of millions of times annually by movie fans, AMC Theatres is in a unique position to promote specific movies with greater personalization than has ever been possible before. Through the launch of AMC Theatres On Demand, we can reach movie lovers directly and make it easy for them to access films digitally.”