• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OCD Collecting

2 posts in this topic

Had a conversation with another art collector recently and they mentioned they also collect slabbed comics (as well as raw copies) and the slabbed copies represented their OCD for having high grade copies.  Then I got thinking that I am totally not OCD when it occured to me that - is being a collector (of stuff) in general - the very definition of OCD as collecting is not a rational behaviour? 

Finally in writing this - had rememberedthe umpteen threads here where collectors were 'picky'on things such as blue line vs all art, altering art, signatures on art, etc..  so does that mean we (collectors) are all OCD?

Any thoughts? 

Edited by Panelfan1

My OCD kicks in when I see a good price on a book I own, but have the compulsion to buy it anyway, because I really like THAT book and it's only $1 or $5 or $10. This would be reasonable if I intended to sell it later, but I NEVER sell. USUALLY I put it in my buy stack and before I check out I sort through and it gets weeded out to be put back...but being a collector that is not ALWAYS the case. Alpha Flight #1 and reader copies of Dark Knight come to mind as I type.

"Hi, my name is Steve and I'm a collector, it's been 7 days since I bought a comic that I already own."

"Hi Steve." 

Edited by gumbydarnit