• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Just Bought a NEW Comic Book
1 1

102 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Have we uncovered why this is titled "Marvel Comics #1000"...?

Why? WHY!? Because there is an 80 year history of Marvel Comics that spans 80 years, with thousands of characters, heroes, villains, beings, monsters and mysterious forces and powers that are beyond human comprehension. These characters, stories and journeys span not just 80 years, but they span the entire universe, and not just across space and time, but well into ALTERNATE spaces and times, from the godlike eternal beings of planet size entities even down to the subatomic quantum realm of existence! But such mysterious, powerful and unimaginable characters don't all exist "out there" but are right HERE, living right across the street, dealing with every day issues that you and I face all the time - questions of meaning and existence, relationships and duties, good and evil, right and wrong, power and responsibility! And that's just the themes, stories and characters not to mention the incredible 8 decades of art and impression, lines and movement, power and pouches, colors and crackle! 80 years of the Marvel multiverse condensed into a mere 18 movie-friendly characters and given a "#1000" moniker is sure to capture the depth, breadth, essence, excitement, art and awe of those 80 years like no comic cover ever could! And hopefully it makes money too. Mostly that I guess. The money.  

Edited by jcjames

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

Why? WHY!? Because there is an 80 year history of Marvel Comics that spans 80 years, with thousands of characters, heroes, villains, beings, monsters and mysterious forces and powers that are beyond human comprehension. These characters, stories and journeys span not just 80 years, but they span the entire universe, and not just across space and time, but well into ALTERNATE spaces and times, from the godlike eternal beings of planet size entities even down to the subatomic quantum realm of existence! But such mysterious, powerful and unimaginable characters don't all exist "out there" but are right HERE, living right across the street, dealing with every day issues that you and I face all the time - questions of meaning and existence, relationships and duties, good and evil, right and wrong, power and responsibility! And that's just the themes, stories and characters not to mention the incredible 8 decades of art and impression, lines and movement, colors and crackle! 80 years of the Marvel multiverse condensed into a mere 18 movie-friendly characters and given a "#1000" moniker is sure to capture the depth, breadth, essence, excitement, art and awe of those 80 years like no comic cover ever could! And hopefully it makes money. Mostly that I guess.  

hqdefault.jpg

Didn't Marvel Comics end sometime prior to 300 issues...?

I am damn confused. And you're adding to it! :pullhair:

80 Replies already...Holy C**P!!!  :whatthe:

23 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Did you buy it for the story?  I'm unfamiliar with the hype surrounding it.  Certainly not for any sort of speculative value since it's a book with a high print run.

Stories about the anniversary issue kept showing up on my YaHoo news feed and I was curious what the book/story was all about, has/had nothing to do with speculation or monetary value now or in the future, bought it to read only.

21 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Is it any good...?

Have not read it yet, too busy on my computer and playing MLB The Show 19.

When it arrived I placed it in a Mylite with board and put it away.

Supposedly there are 80 one page stories done by 80 creative teams, unfortunately on this plane of existence there will not be a Lee/Kirby story. :(

20 hours ago, comics4all said:

It is such a blatant cash grab!

What does Marvel Comics 1000 mean?

They just did it because of Action & Detective 1000!!!

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Have we uncovered why this is titled "Marvel Comics #1000"...?

It is the 80th Anniversary of Marvel Comics #1 published in October 1939 and YES the issue #1000 was a Rip Off from DC. :whatthe:

The book I received is the "Original" cover, not a Variant, I did not really pay much attention to who was on the cover, however...

There are other covers I would have liked to have instead of the original since they are more in tune to my collecting and I could relate to them better such as the 40's, 60's and Hidden Gem Variant By Ditko, :cloud9:

Am I going to spend money to get variant covers, (shrug) I may just to display them because some of the covers would fit right in with my other displayed collectibles. :cloud9:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/see-a-gallery-of-15-variant-covers-for-marvel-comics-1000

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/marvel-comics-1000-celebrates-marvel-s-80-year-legacy

6 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

It is the 80th Anniversary of Marvel Comics #1 published in October 1939 and YES the issue #1000 was a Rip Off from DC. :whatthe:

It's called an "homage".

Newb. :eyeroll:

:grin:

Edited by jcjames

21 hours ago, bababooey said:

I got the one with the old multi coloured title lettering....skimmed through it and read less than half the pages though.

20190912_153839.jpg

I was looking at that book since it is the 1960's variant and that is the age I grew up in and collect, however which is the variant and which is the variant of the variant?

jun190851__33240.1563467042.jpg

17 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

I was looking at that book since it is the 1960's variant and that is the age I grew up in and collect, however which is the variant and which is the variant of the variant?

I think the pic you posted is just the web mock up for the art from Marvel.com, the art didn't do much for me it was the nostalgic feel of the title lettering and corner box.  My copy is a variant of some kind.

22 hours ago, bababooey said:

I got the one with the old multi coloured title lettering....skimmed through it and read less than half the pages though.

20190912_153839.jpg

Phhhhhtttt.

Who are all the old, crusty out dated scrubs on this cover?

On 9/11/2019 at 3:08 PM, kav said:

It's always good to put a character thats been around for about 10 minutes to help represent '80 years of comics' and just go ahead and leave off the hundreds of other iconic characters.

Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 12.07.07 PM.png

Totally disagree... Not only do you celebrate the past but you focus on those that will carry the future of the publication forward.  She is a very strong character with a lot of potential. I wish I had bought her first appearances when I had the chance. 

On 9/13/2019 at 2:13 PM, Park said:

Phhhhhtttt.

Who are all the old, crusty out dated scrubs on this cover?

Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Frank Robinson, Ernie Banks, Roberto Clemente, Eddie Mathews, Brooks Robinson, Lou Brock, Maury Wills, Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Bob Gibson, Juan Marichal...

OOPS, sorry, wrong 1960's Super Hero's.

Edited by marvelmaniac

19 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Frank Robinson, Ernie Banks, Roberto Clemente, Eddie Mathews, Brooks Robinson, Lou Brock, Maury Wills, Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Bob Gibson, Juan Marichal...

OOPS, sorry, wrong 1960's Super Hero's.

Not Billy Mays, but:

On 9/13/2019 at 1:56 PM, bababooey said:

I think the pic you posted is just the web mock up for the art from Marvel.com, the art didn't do much for me it was the nostalgic feel of the title lettering and corner box.  My copy is a variant of some kind.

Marvel Comics #1000 (variant cover 60s - Allred) [2019]

You were/are Absolutely correct!!!  :applause: :golfclap: ^^     (thumbsu

I ordered the 1960's Variant to display with the original cover book and although the pic showed the cover with just "Marvel Comics #1000 the book I received was the one you have with the "1960's Marvel Tales" graphics.  :cloud9: