• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Just Bought a NEW Comic Book
1 1

102 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, kav said:

No I only have a problem with characters who have been around for about 10 minutes, all of which strangely are female.

Heaven forbid that a comic book company would (a) want to sell comics and (b) realise that > 50% of potential purchasers are female.

Offset against that, of course, is the possibility that other potential customers who can't cope with sharing their hobby with - gasp - women might then not buy it because 'pandering'.

Just now, AJD said:

Heaven forbid that a comic book company would (a) want to sell comics and (b) realise that > 50% of potential purchasers are female.

Offset against that, of course, is the possibility that other potential customers who can't cope with sharing their hobby with - gasp - women might then not buy it because 'pandering'.

You misunderstand me-I have no problem with female characters-in fact I think there should have been more on the cover.  My issue is with putting mostly recent female characters in the lead.  They didnt do this with the male characters.  

6 minutes ago, kav said:

You misunderstand me-I have no problem with female characters-in fact I think there should have been more on the cover.  My issue is with putting mostly recent female characters in the lead.  They didnt do this with the male characters.  

Apologies then. :foryou:

But my point about selling books remains - the recent female characters have been a bigger commercial success than previous iterations, so it makes perfect sense, even if we long-term fans would rather see more established ones. :preach:

1 minute ago, AJD said:

Apologies then. :foryou:

But my point about selling books remains - the recent female characters have been a bigger commercial success than previous iterations, so it makes perfect sense, even if we long-term fans would rather see more established ones. :preach:

I'm starting to see the logic of it.  If it helps make more people read comics then good job.  

9 hours ago, kav said:

It's always good to put a character thats been around for about 10 minutes to help represent '80 years of comics' and just go ahead and leave off the hundreds of other iconic characters.

Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 12.07.07 PM.png

And is she... asleep??

???

80 years and 25% of the cover characters have been around 5 or less years. Why even mention "80 years"? 

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

And is she... asleep??

???

80 years and 25% of the cover characters have been around 5 or less years. Why even mention "80 years"? 

Not a fan of her costume either.  It looks like maybe a Hot Dog On A Stick uniform or something.  All she needs is the hat.

31 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Interesting math. Can you explain how the only 3 characters created in the last 25 years make up 25% of the 18 characters on the cover?

Miles did star in a little film that was wildly successful and won an Academy Award. He also fits a good number of diversity points. Seems like a solid choice to me. 

8 hours ago, kav said:

Not a fan of her costume either.  It looks like maybe a Hot Dog On A Stick uniform or something.  All she needs is the hat.

I don’t see much wrong with Kamala’s costume.  It does look based on conventional Arabic Muslim design under the super-heroine embellishments.

My area of England has a large Muslim Asian population, and I’m possibly more familiar with this type of clothing. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Looks to me like Cap never took the Super Soldier serum.

Simon and Kirby’s Golden Age art style did tend to favour wiry-looking heroes with zero body fat.

8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Interesting math. Can you explain how the only 3 characters created in the last 25 years make up 25% of the 18 characters on the cover?

I only counted 16 at first, and Carol-as-CM is much less than 25 years so that's 4 characters out of 18 (22.2%).

Sue me for the difference. ;)

No one from the "First Family Of Marvel"? Not a one!?

No Galactus or Silver Surfer?

No villain save Thanos... no Loki, Dr. Doom or Magneto?

Got Squirrel-Girl but no Deadpool?

No Punisher?

Spider-gwen/spider-ghost (or is it ghost-spider)... but no NAMOR!? 

Still not sure how the character selections are related at ALL to the last 80 years of Marvel comics. ???