• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers 47 vs. 48 - Which book will be the 'key'?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

GotG books have done very well compared to before a movie was announced. Hulk 271 was found in many $1 bins when the movie was announced. Still an easy 100 bill in high grade. Same with Star Lord. Gamora and Nebula never really took off to begin with.

Once again, OP did not ask long term value of these books past a movie. They asked what book to pickup before the movie releases. And that's the Eternals movie, which I have stated he will have a small role in.

Why would you wait a year to buy? That's when the movie hype will be reaching it's peak.

Sure GOTG books have done well relative to when they were $1 bin fodder - but compared to peak prices they have not.  If you bought AV47 or AV48 as a dollar bin book - then yes have at it and sell sell sell.  Likewise if you can find a copy for pre-announcement pricing then yes buy it.

However, absent those two situations, the trajectory of this book is not good for a purchase.  So wait until after the movie (which will be in a year or two?  NOt sure when Eternals will release) - but I don't expect this book to sustain value - but happy if it does (as a rising tide etc.).

As to the question - as to which book to pick-up prior to the movie - if you want to make money on it then likely neither as it has popped (unless you find it for pre-pop price) and if you want to hold long-term because you are a big fan - then likely neither as well, as it will likely decrease substantially after the movie so you can pick it up then for cheaper.

2 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Sure GOTG books have done well relative to when they were $1 bin fodder - but compared to peak prices they have not.  If you bought AV47 or AV48 as a dollar bin book - then yes have at it and sell sell sell.  Likewise if you can find a copy for pre-announcement pricing then yes buy it.

However, absent those two situations, the trajectory of this book is not good for a purchase.  So wait until after the movie (which will be in a year or two?  NOt sure when Eternals will release) - but I don't expect this book to sustain value - but happy if it does (as a rising tide etc.).

As to the question - as to which book to pick-up prior to the movie - if you want to make money on it then likely neither as it has popped (unless you find it for pre-pop price) and if you want to hold long-term because you are a big fan - then likely neither as well, as it will likely decrease substantially after the movie so you can pick it up then for cheaper.

OK, date marked. See you when the first reviews and subsequent Black Knight MCU involvement starts coming in.

Edited by ygogolak

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

OK, date marked. See you when the first reviews and subsequent Black Knight MCU involvement starts coming in.

Hahahaha fair enough - mark me down for the camp that AV47 or AV48 will decline value wise after the movie appearance and that prices being paid right now are too high.  I presume you are in the other camp.

Neither of us knows - and no point going around in circles when it is all opinion.  Cheers. 

2 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Hahahaha fair enough - mark me down for the camp that AV47 or AV48 will decline value wise after the movie appearance and that prices being paid right now are too high.  I presume you are in the other camp.

Neither of us knows - and no point going around in circles when it is all opinion.  Cheers. 

Na, that was never the question. Everyone is saying not to buy NOW as all the juice is gone.

I find ze back and ze forth...vell...you know.....

Interesting points on whether Black Knight will be developed after, apparently, a rather brief appearance in the Eternals film.  I never thought GOTG would be much more than a mild diversion.  Now look.

Shows what I know about The Machine.  But, it does make me wonder what a Black Knight / Thor meeting might be if Feige & Co. get it right the first time around.

arite3df.jpg

On 9/13/2019 at 4:56 PM, Chillax23 said:

The majority of high grade copies are still locked in personal collections (census for 47 is 459 and 48 is 496). Once the census catches up to demand I think it will be a sustainable book for the next few years...if the rumors are true. 

Edited by Naphtha

1 hour ago, Naphtha said:

The majority of high grade copies are still locked in personal collections (census for 47 is 459 and 48 is 496). Once the census catches up to demand I think it will be a sustainable book for the next few years...if the rumors are true. 

I am betting the Census will expand rapidly in the next little bit - prior to the announcement it was likely not a book many people went out of their way to slab ...... but who knows, it will be interesting to watch both books to see their trajectory. 

6 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

I am betting the Census will expand rapidly in the next little bit - prior to the announcement it was likely not a book many people went out of their way to slab ...... but who knows, it will be interesting to watch both books to see their trajectory. 

Exactly what I mean. Once there are enough slabbed grades to generate volume sales the book will climb. I assume your average ebay speculator doesn't consider the census when making "HOT" or "MCU" purchases, although I could be wrong.

19 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Agreed however I don't think the 9.8's census will go up too much since it's old (?). Full disclosure I have a #47 9.8 :roflmao:. Currently I debating when I should sell it, now or closer to the movie release.  I believe the BK will replace Captain America as the leader of the Avengers in the MCU so I think there will be a lot of potential for the book, but it's just my hunch.