• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making a big purchase from a new seller
2 2

38 posts in this topic

Hello folks - I have a question about making a big purchase from a new seller on the CGC chat boards.  The seller requires that payment clears prior to sending the comic book. What steps can I take to ensure that I will receive the book after I make payment?  What is my safest way of making payment?

Thanks in advance, would appreciate any advice!

Dave

Hi, paypal offers protection.

Another thing you can do is video tape yourself opening the box.  Even better if you have a credible witness, and do it at the post office.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I probably know who the seller is.

I prefer PayPal as both a buyer and a seller, and while I have sold many collectibles, I have not sold any comic books.

Wait.. wait.. a min you mean people sell comic books? What kind of monster sells their comic books.... :whatthe:

As to the OP question, I would be cautious about it I am assuming you mean waiting for payment to clear means your paying with a cheque?? if to I would see if the seller would accept paypal as that way both the buyer and seller are better protected. If they say that they want to avoid the fee's I would pay the extra then for fee's just to be protected with paypal.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

:acclaim:

I have a toilet copy of 'Tec #27, too.

NO WAY... get the heck out of here... ME TOO.. its the Oreo reprint one lol 

I think I actually posted a pic in new comics this week section of the forums

Edited by Krishosein

1 minute ago, Krishosein said:

NO WAY... get the heck out of here... ME TOO.. its the Oreo reprint one lol 

I think I actually posted a pic in new comics this week section of the forums

Mine are the ones that came with the BvS Collector's Edition set (came with New 52 action figures of Batman and Superman, individually packaged, too - among other things).

:whee: for toilet readers!

5 hours ago, Djohnson321 said:

Hello folks - I have a question about making a big purchase from a new seller on the CGC chat boards.  The seller requires that payment clears prior to sending the comic book. What steps can I take to ensure that I will receive the book after I make payment?  What is my safest way of making payment?

Thanks in advance, would appreciate any advice!

Dave

Ask for..

any references, has he/she sold anything before to a board member .

an ebay account and check the feedback.

instagram

facebook

4 hours ago, namisgr said:

would never make a big purchase from a relatively new board member.

Same here.  I'd expect them to establish a reputation the way good online sellers do:  make a series of successful sales. Small sales then medium sales THEN big sales.

If they are selling on a forum (like this) not just a selling site (like eBay) then that adds to what I would expect of them.  A newcomer to the boards who is trying to make big deals is not a good thing even if they are honest.  IMO they are taking advantage of the community of the boards for their own gain.

To use a forum marketplace without establishing a presence is not acceptable (IMO).  A seller should not only work their way up to big sales they should first share their knowledge in some posts to benefit others in the hobby, THEN I think it's OK for them to sell. 

New members in any forum: toy collecting, comics, whatever, who join only to sell are just trying to save on seller's fees, they don't give a rat's azz about the hobby (again, IMO). 

Edited by Turnando

15 hours ago, Turnando said:

Same here.  I'd expect them to establish a reputation the way good online sellers do:  make a series of successful sales. Small sales then medium sales THEN big sales.

If they are selling on a forum (like this) not just a selling site (like eBay) then that adds to what I would expect of them.  A newcomer to the boards who is trying to make big deals is not a good thing even if they are honest.  IMO they are taking advantage of the community of the boards for their own gain.

To use a forum marketplace without establishing a presence is not acceptable (IMO).  A seller should not only work their way up to big sales they should first share their knowledge in some posts to benefit others in the hobby, THEN I think it's OK for them to sell. 

New members in any forum: toy collecting, comics, whatever, who join only to sell are just trying to save on seller's fees, they don't give a rat's azz about the hobby (again, IMO). 

I would have to disagree with this. 

What about a person who inherits a collection from someone and they know nothing about it, but would like the books to go to a community where they would be appreciated... 

I think its fine to sell on the boards so long as there is the option for buyer and seller protection such as the use of Paypal, ebay transactions or in-person transactions. 

An inherited collection is usually more of a burden than a legacy to most people. And once big dollars get mentioned, most people tend to get greedy. Buying from people like this can get very difficult and a lot of work. Explaining condition, market values ect usually ends up with a no sale. Why not donate it to an institution like a college or library if you want lovers of the medium? Nice tax deduction. But the lure of big money tends to change people’s views. 

Yes, PayPal by all means. Both parties get protection. The original poster did not mention the book. Is this something he cannot get anywhere else? Might be better to wait until he finds a seller with what he wants and can feel more comfortable with.