• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would a press help this?

4 posts in this topic

IMO, pressing seems to be best suited for eliminating flaws such as finger bends, corner bends, dents, etc. It can also be beneficial for books with a noticeable spine roll. Folks seem to think of it as a cure for all the problems a book may have, and that's simply not the case. Pressing can't remove color breaking creases, for example. And pressing can actually cause problems, too, such as cover shrinkage, waviness, pebbling, popped staples, etc. Not all pressers are created equal, either---some are definitely more experienced than others. 

With that in mind, I would urge you to look your book over again. What grade would you give it in it's current state? Now try to imagine what flaws a quality pressing could eliminate (such as dents or bends) and ask yourself if the risk is worth the reward. I have numerous books that could likely be improved with a pressing, but since the grade bump would probably be minor, I'm simply not going to bother. I know this sounds crazy, but I prefer books in their original condition, warts and all.

By the way, your book appears to be pretty nice. The overhang at the top of the back cover seems to be only a minor problem; certainly nothing I'd be worried about. I hope this helps, and good luck!   (thumbsu