• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Owner Collections.....They are still out there!

63 posts in this topic

:whatthe:  WOW!  Congrats on the find and your patience in waiting him out. Did you see the Roadshow segment? Wonder what they were appraised for? I have watched that show for years and rarely seen many vintage comics. 

Maybe not a lot of “keys” in most people’s eyes, but a ton of classic issues. 

Yes, I do believe they are still out there. Especially in larger geographical areas. There were just so many produced and a lot of people actually hung on to them.

Probably the best score you will ever find. Congrats and savor them!

1 hour ago, Comics-n-ERB said:
1 hour ago, october said:

Great score. 

Did he have the first two issues and sold them prior, or just never owned them?

He told me he Thought he had owned the Superman #1 at one time but over the years it disappeared.  He had never sold any of the books.  You can see he concentrated on just a few runs.  Too bad he didn't get the Actions and Detectives also........

Most of the books were in decent shape.  Oldest ones were around the 3.0 mark then gradually went up in grade.  No pieces/chuncks missing which was great, just technical things bringing the grades down.  Only one WF was missing pages with loose pages also. 

Paper was really nice on all books.  Light cream to off-white with most being in the off-white area.

Wowza.........what a score and definitely worth the wait.  :whatthe:  :applause:

Seems rather strange that just the first 2 issues would be missing from the big Supes and Bat runs.  Nevertheless, you certainly can't complain about being able to lock down what probably amounts to the find of a lifetime for any collector.  I would most definitely be on :cloud9:  :cloud9: if I ever managed to acquire a find like this.  :whee:

Any idea if the so-called experts from the Antique Road Show provide the wife with some useful data about the potential worth of the books or were they clueless as per usual when it comes to some of these finer details?  hm

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Wowza.........what a score and definitely worth the wait.  :whatthe:  :applause:

Seems rather strange that just the first 2 issues would be missing from the big Supes and Bat runs.  Nevertheless, you certainly can't complain about being able to lock down what probably amounts to the find of a lifetime for any collector.  I would most definitely be on :cloud9:  :cloud9: if I ever managed to acquire a find like this.  :whee:

Any idea if the so-called experts from the Antique Road Show provide the wife with some useful data about the potential worth of the books or were they clueless as per usual when it comes to some of these finer details?  hm

They never actually talked to her as a segment.  They just showed her waiting to talk to someone with the books laid out.  So I don't know what they told her.

It's certainly a wonderful thing to find a run of Batman's from 3-29 straight and Superman 3-16 missing only #11.  The other books aren't too bad either! :luhv:

1 hour ago, Comics-n-ERB said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

They never actually talked to her as a segment.  They just showed her waiting to talk to someone with the books laid out.  So I don't know what they told her.

Well, I am quite sure he probably got enough of an inking from them that they must be worth some money.  (thumbsu

Especially since as you stated yourself, one of the reasons he didn't sell the books to you 8 years ago was because he thought your offer price for them was too low. hm

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I have only one question:  Which one isn't like the others? 

Charlie Chan 1 is from 1948.

Batman 29 is from 1945.  Seems like the Charlie Chan is a big outlier.  

The Charlie Chan #1 was a weird one for the year and for it not matching the theme of superhero's.