• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Superman fly before 1941 ?

9 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2019 at 6:35 PM, Chicago Boy said:

I always thought so but I just watched apiece on the Fleshier cartoon that says he was responsible. 

Here’s a paragraph from the Wikipedia entry discussing the timeline to flight.  Unless someone has access to better sourced information, this sounds reasonable to me...

“The Fleischer cartoons were also responsible for giving Superman perhaps his most singular superpower: flight. When the Fleischers started work on the series, in the comic books, Superman could only leap from place to place (hence the classic phrase, "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound"). After seeing the leaping fully animated, however, the Fleischers deemed it "silly looking", and asked permission from Action Comics (later DC Comics) to have him fly instead; the publisher agreed, and Superman was formally given the power of flight thereafter. Previously, he was only shown flying in the comics due to an artist and editorial error in Superman #10.”

:tink: