• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAME OF THRONES: HOUSE OF THE DRAGON series (2022)
3 3

491 posts in this topic

In August, The Illuminerdi reported that Prince Daemon Targaryen was set to be a featured role in the upcoming HBO series, and that Warner Media was actively looking at multiple options for the role.

GAME OF THRONES: HOUSE OF THE DRAGON DEVELOPMENTS

We can report that Matt Smith has received considerable interest for the role of Daemon in House of the Dragon, but to our knowledge no formal offer has been made. The description for the role of Prince Daemon is as follows:

• Prince Daemon Targaryen – Male, Age 40 – Series Regular
  • The younger brother to King Viserys, Daemon wasn’t born with “naked ambition” for the throne despite being in line for it. He’s less methodical and more impetuous. Not to mention easily bored…stumbling from one distraction to the next with the subconscious yet singular obsession with earning the love and acceptance of his brother the king. Most of Daemon’s joy is found at sword-point. But even as the most experienced warrior of his time, he vacillates between vile and heroic, making him the true rogue of the series.

The only confirmed member of the House of the Dragon cast to this point is Paddy Considine, as the aforementioned King Viserys.

Although Game of Thrones may not have ended to everyone's satisfaction, I'm still excited to see what HBO has planned for the future of Westeros. Just last year, the network gave a straight-to-series order to House of the Dragon, a prequel series set 300 years before Game of Thrones based upon George R.R. Martin's Fire & Blood, a Targaryen history book which chronicles the history of House Targaryen, starting off with "Aegon the Conqueror, creator of the Iron Throne, and [going on] to recount the generations of Targaryens who fought to hold the throne, all the way up to the civil war, known as the Dance of the Dragons, that nearly tore their dynasty apart."

The cast of House of the Dragon is starting to come together as it's been announced that Matt Smith (The Crown), Olivia Cooke (Sound of Metal), and Emma D'Arcy (Wanderlust) have joined the series. Smith will play Prince Daemon Targaryen, who is the "younger brother to King Viserys and heir to the throne. A peerless warrior and a dragonrider, Daemon possesses the true blood of the dragon. But it is said that whenever a Targaryen is born, the gods toss a coin in the air." Cooke will play Alicent Hightower, who is "the daughter of Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King, and the most comely woman in the Seven Kingdoms. She was raised in the Red Keep, close to the king and his innermost circle; she possesses both a courtly grace and a keen political acumen." D’Arcy will play Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, who is "the king’s first-born child, she is of pure Valyrian blood, and she is a dragonrider. Many would say that Rhaenyra was born with everything … but she was not born a man."  Matt Smith, Olivia Cooke, and Emma D'Arcy join the already cast Paddy Considine (The Outsider), who will star as King Viserys Targaryen, who has been chosen by the lords of Westeros to succeed the Old King, Jaehaerys Targaryen. A warm, kind and decent man, Viserys only wishes to carry forward his grandather's legacy, but good men do not necessarily make for great kings.

1 hour ago, PovertyRow said:

While I have HBOmax I am not sure I want to watch this, considering what HBO let happen to GOT itself. The taste is still bitter in my mouth, like 120% dark chocolate. 

No, no, friend Bosco, I must speak. When I, when I came to damn Game of Thrones I had reasons, good reasons, but when the time came to... to question one, I .. I questioned it gladly. I smiled as boardies looked sad, because I knew there was a future for mankind. I ... I knew there was hope... so long as men were prepared to give their opinions. And when the time came for me to question another I... I questioned it gladly. I... I sang as boardies furrowed their brows. Because I believed...oh you may laugh, but I believed with every fibre of my body, with every drop of rain that falls, a... a flower grows. And that flower, that small fragile, delicate flower... shall burst forth and give a new life. New strength! Freedom from fear and freedom from opinion. Freedom from thicker skins. A world where men and women of all genres and viewerships can post together on a forum and then in the twilight of this life, our children, and our children's children and ...

7 hours ago, PovertyRow said:

No, no, friend Bosco, I must speak. When I, when I came to damn Game of Thrones I had reasons, good reasons, but when the time came to... to question one, I .. I questioned it gladly. I smiled as boardies looked sad, because I knew there was a future for mankind. I ... I knew there was hope... so long as men were prepared to give their opinions. And when the time came for me to question another I... I questioned it gladly. I... I sang as boardies furrowed their brows. Because I believed...oh you may laugh, but I believed with every fibre of my body, with every drop of rain that falls, a... a flower grows. And that flower, that small fragile, delicate flower... shall burst forth and give a new life. New strength! Freedom from fear and freedom from opinion. Freedom from thicker skins. A world where men and women of all genres and viewerships can post together on a forum and then in the twilight of this life, our children, and our children's children and ...

200.gif.2d8521500db1d2ede28bceaed52cb68f.gif

I was sad along with you about how HBO allowed Season 8 to play out.

But please continue your essay on 'How Green Was My Valley: The Game of Throne Years'.

:baiting::tink:

Oh man, really looking forward to this.  People are letting the last season cloud their judgment on how good the rest of the show was.  Honestly, I thought the reaction to the last season was completely overblown.  Was it rushed and not quite what we expected?  Of course!  Did HBO still produce amazing episodes full of outstanding acting, cinematography, costumes, etc.?  Absolutely!

10 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Oh man, really looking forward to this.  People are letting the last season cloud their judgment on how good the rest of the show was.  Honestly, I thought the reaction to the last season was completely overblown.  Was it rushed and not quite what we expected?  Of course!  Did HBO still produce amazing episodes full of outstanding acting, cinematography, costumes, etc.?  Absolutely!

Have to agree.

You would think Season 8 was a total bust the way some hate on it. The show just didn't end the way they would have liked.

It wasn't just the ending. It was all of the pieces they inserted throughout the whole series that were totally ignored. Benioff and Weiss were simply not up to the task when they had no more reference material from R.R. Martin. 

Now I agree the acting, photography, cinematography, costumes, music etc. were, as always, absolutely top notch. And those elements go into a great experience. But, the two most important elements are acting and WRITING. And the writing was horrific. And without good writing, consistent continuity and accurate characterizations all you are left with is a beautiful looking mess that makes little sense and ultimately dashes expectations. I could list a bunch of things they "forgot" or ignored but those are too well known to repeat.

I will say the one area the cinematography totally sucked was the zombie swarm that was so dark and the movement so jerky you had no idea what was going on. Otherwise, as I said, it was beautiful but a horrible bit of story telling. Gives "retcon" a whole new daffynition!

Edited by PovertyRow
spelling and more

HBO content chief Casey Bloys declined to spill – and he was prodded — anything more on the release date for Game of Throne prequel House of The Dragon beyond that it will be in 2022.

He did take pains to specify that it’s the only project amid a flurry of media reports that’s been greenlit so far.

“The good news is that everything you do [connected with GoT] becomes news. Any -script that is development or -script that is pitched becomes news and it inevitably get reported and people assume they are in production. Only House of The Dragon is in production, the rest is in development, and we will make a decision,” he said during a press event at WarnerMedia headquarters in New York City.

“Nothing else is greenlit but a lot of interesting [projects in] development,” he reiterated.