• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cut off dates for each era
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me what the cut of dates of each era of comics are?

What era are we considered in now and when was the last cut off date and what is it called?

I am trying to organize by comics and am having a hard time deciding what era some of them go in especially after 1985.

3 hours ago, APDallas said:

Can someone tell me what the cut of dates of each era of comics are?

There aren't really "cut off dates" for the different eras, just general date ranges.

3 hours ago, APDallas said:

What era are we considered in now and when was the last cut off date and what is it called?

Modern. We're always in the Modern Age. There hasn't been a split that is commonly recognized and agreed upon in over 25 years because the most influential people in the hobby don't care.

Many years ago, CGC bumped up the cutoff for their purposes.  When I joined the boards, "modern" books were anything that came out after 1980.  If I'm not mistaken, now it's 1985.  This is strictly for tier/pricing purposes as far as CGC is concerned. 

Golden, Silver, Bronze, and Copper ages may have some debate over actual start & end dates, but the general eras are pretty generally accepted.  Bronze started in the early 70's and ended in the early to mid 80's.  Copper started in the early to mid 80's and ended sometime in the early 90's.  These last 2 eras were 10-15 years each.  We are coming up on nearly 30 years of "modern" age comics.  When will the collecting community decide to cut off the previous age and give the current "modern age" a new starting point?  What was the last big shift in the industry?

I have heard a few people refer to the 90's post-Copper era as the "Chromium Age".  It seems appropriate as it continues the metallic naming convention and captures a common gimmick used by lots of comics of the time.  If this is a good name, then when did the Chromium Age end.

On 10/30/2019 at 11:58 AM, Turtle said:

Many years ago, CGC bumped up the cutoff for their purposes.  When I joined the boards, "modern" books were anything that came out after 1980.  If I'm not mistaken, now it's 1985. 

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:56 PM, Gaard said:

Am I going crazy?  I see it's 1975 on their site.  I've got to go back and look.  I'd have put any amount of money down that the cutoff is in the 80's for CGC. 

Edited by Turtle

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:56 PM, Gaard said:

I was able to find this article from 2014.  Here's the timeline.

I joined in 2008.  At the time, modern books were listed as 1975 and on.  I had the dates shifted by 5 years. 

Some time after that, CGC moved the date forward to 1980 and on. 

Then in 2014, they rolled it back to 1975 and on as stated in the article.  I must have missed this when it happened.  :blush:

On 10/30/2019 at 10:58 AM, Turtle said:

Many years ago, CGC bumped up the cutoff for their purposes.  When I joined the boards, "modern" books were anything that came out after 1980.  If I'm not mistaken, now it's 1985.  This is strictly for tier/pricing purposes as far as CGC is concerned. 

Golden, Silver, Bronze, and Copper ages may have some debate over actual start & end dates, but the general eras are pretty generally accepted.  Bronze started in the early 70's and ended in the early to mid 80's.  Copper started in the early to mid 80's and ended sometime in the early 90's.  These last 2 eras were 10-15 years each.  We are coming up on nearly 30 years of "modern" age comics.  When will the collecting community decide to cut off the previous age and give the current "modern age" a new starting point?  What was the last big shift in the industry?

I have heard a few people refer to the 90's post-Copper era as the "Chromium Age".  It seems appropriate as it continues the metallic naming convention and captures a common gimmick used by lots of comics of the time.  If this is a good name, then when did the Chromium Age end.

Chromium Age isn't a bad moniker - ( I've always went with 'Fools Gold'en Age )...I'm assuming that the next age after should be referred to as the Variant Age?

Victorian Age, 1841-1896:    The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck with first-ever English language comic book printed by Tilt & Bogues in London in 1841, or some focus on the reprint using the same plates of that book that appeared in New York in a newspaper supplement titled Brother Jonathan Extra No. IX (September 14, 1842).  Back then London (England in general, actually) was way more important to us than now, with popular items in England (books, clothes, devices/machines, etc., you name it) invariably finding there way to America, so I would go with the Tilt/Bogues London version, the undisputed progenitor of the NY version.  If we would rather turn a blind eye to England's significance/influence at that time, arguably could use 1842 for the reprint NY version as the start of this Age.  

Platinum Age, 1897-1937:  Yellow Kid

Golden Age, 1938-1947 or so:  Action Comics #1

Atomic Age, 1948 or so -1955:  post-war, sci-fi, and horror.  So many worthy keys.  Where to start.

Silver Age, 1956:  Showcase #4

Bronze Age, 1970-1984:  Green Lantern Arrow 76, Superman 231, Conan the Barbarian #1, Jimmy Olsen 133.   So many worthy keys.  Where to start.  

MODERN AGE, 1985-present:  TOO LONG, so appears to have been broken down as follows:

Copper Age, 1985-1991?:  Secret Wars?  I dunno.

Extreme Age, 1992-1998?:  something must have started this too  :)  

Movie Age, 1998 - present?:   Blade, Marvel's first successful attempt at a movie, which apparently led to X-Men movies and other comic book movies, continuing to this day and beyond.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 11/17/2019 at 3:33 PM, Buzzetta said:

I think that it depends on the publisher at times. 

It does indeed. Sometimes it even depends on the genre. For example, many of the funny animal comics published in the 40s through 70s could be interchangeable in any era, or perhaps "era ignoring" would be a better way to put it. War comics is another genre where the various ages don't really matter. The exception of course being pre-code / post-code.  

1 hour ago, Pantodude said:

Bronze Age, 1970-1980:  Green Lantern Arrow 76, Superman 231, Conan the Barbarian #1, Jimmy Olsen 133.   So many worthy keys.  Where to start.  

Cronze Age, 1980-1984: Transitional era between bronze and copper 

Copper Age, 1984-1991?:  Secret Wars?  I dunno.

Fixed